Geographical annoyances in pop and rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    "Counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike, they've all come to look for America"

Aren't they already in it?
    Yeah, but they're looking for America as an idea, man.

Comment

Though it really shouldn't have taken four days to hitchhike from Saginaw to Pittsburgh back then

Comment

It once took me four days to hitchhike from Bath to Leicester on a bank holiday weekend.

Comment

No. They must have taken a few detours. And I know they're skint, but Greyhound will do that for $54 now. It wouldn't have been very expensive back then.

John Denver
          Country Roads
          Almost heaven, West Virginia,
          Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.

The Blue Ridge Mountains run through Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia, but not West Virginia. The Blue Ridge Parkway goes through Virginia and North Carolina.

I know a guy from Virginia who finds this annoying.

John Denver had never been to WV when he wrote that.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            It once took me four days to hitchhike from Bath to Leicester on a bank holiday weekend.
            That must be quite a story.

I've never hitchhiked in my life. By the time I was old enough to try, I'd been indoctrinated into the idea that it inevitably led to murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That must be quite a story.
              Not really. It was just extremely tiresome. There were few, if any, direct main roads, so I tended to get a whole bunch of four to ten mile local rides. Also, because it was a long weekend, cars were stuffed with daytripping families. Mainly I remember sleeping in a bus shelter, a public toilet and under a cricket pavilion.

Comment

Whereas Saginaw and Pittsburgh were connected by major national highways even back then.

The route also goes directly through Ann Arbor, which would have had significant hitchhiking traffic at the time, given its status as a huge university town.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Not really. It was just extremely tiresome. There were few, if any, direct main roads, so I tended to get a whole bunch of four to ten mile local rides. Also, because it was a long weekend, cars were stuffed with daytripping families. Mainly I remember sleeping in a bus shelter, a public toilet and under a cricket pavilion.
                  We should have a thread for weird places we've dossed in. I have more than a few.

Comment

Not a bad idea. You're up to bat.

Comment

Give me half an hour or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        Gene Pitney (Bacharach & David) - 24 Hours From Tulsa

He was only 24 hours away. Was he driving? In which case he could have been in Canada or Mexico and made it at a push. And if he was flying, half way round the world, even given the limitations of air travel in 1963. “At least” 24 hours from Tulsa might have been more suitable. Or “24 bloody hours” from Tulsa.
                        This has always bothered me. And a quick check on Google Maps for driving time shows that San Diego to Tulsa is 21 hours; Miami to Tulsa is 21 hours; Boston to Tulsa is 23 hours and 50 minutes. San Francisco to Tulsa is 26 hours!

To be in the US and 24 hours from Tulsa, you can really only be in the distant parts of New England, or in Washington, Oregon or Northern California.

Comment

I was thrown out of the old main station in Zaragoza by the Guardia Civil at 3 am, allegedly so that the station could be cleaned, and notwithstanding the fact that I had a ticket for a train that left around 6.

Comment

I was thrown out of Edinburgh Waverley at about 1am, although it's unclear why, and ended up sleeping in a fairly adjacent park.

Comment

The Zaragoza incident has stayed with me as it is the only time in my life I have literally been kicked by a jackbooted thug.

Comment

New thread started in World section.

Comment

There's a bit in The Wurzels' "Shepton Mallet Matador" where they sing "Viva Chew Magna!"

Shepton Mallet is at least 15 miles from Chew Magna. They're completely different places. There's no way a Shepton Mallet Matador would sing the praises of Chew Magna.

Comment

Carol Decker sang about holding China in her hand. Seemed a bit ambitious.

Comment

"Okay..! Tokyo! South America! Australia! France! Germany! UK! Africa!"

This is all over the shop and you two know it.

Comment

It must be only half an hours flight time from Liverpool or even Manchester to Belfast. It;s only 45 minutes from Bucharest to Istanbul, for christs sake. Once you factor in taxiing and all that yes I guess the official flight times are longer, but I reckon it's fair to say that Belfast is only half an hour away

Comment

San Jose wasn't as nice as Bacharach and David made out.

Also a Texan acquaintance told me Amarillo was a "shithole".

Comment

Geri Halliwell - Mi Chico Latino

Take me back to my sweet lavida
                                            Find my love my dolce vita
                                            Show me where I need to go
                                            Donde esta mi chico latino

Singing in Spanish and suddenly switching to Italian. Right up there with Bonio starting off "Vertigo" with Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce. (Three's Company reference be damned.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                              San Jose wasn't as nice as Bacharach and David made out.
                                              Also, LA may be a great big freeway, but if you are in Downtown LA you literally just hop on the 101 north and drive for 6 hours, and you're in San Jose. It seems odd to be asking for directions.

Comment

Though even back then, any car that you could get for USD 200 might not make it

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  Right up there with Bonio starting off "Vertigo" with Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce. (Three's Company reference be damned.)
                                                  My Spanish is rusty as fuck, but catorce is a Spanish number.

Comment

I'll probably get spam from easyjet and Ryanair for the next year for finding this out but Belfast to Glasgow is 45 minutes and Belfast to Liverpool is 1 hour and 5 minutes so Belfast isn't half a bloody hour away.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X