Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Toto - Africa

Also, you may be able to see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti on a clear day but it's at least 200km away. Hardly "above".
    My father-in-law was born in Kenya and always rants about the geographical inaccuracy of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

My Spanish is rusty as fuck, but catorce is a Spanish number.
      Yes, but the count in translates to "One, Two, Three, Fourteen!"

Comment

Yes but one two three fourteen?

Comment

Sorry...too late

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

My father-in-law was born in Kenya and always rants about the geographical inaccuracy of this.
            The song is about longing for a place one has never been to, so the inaccuracy isn’t a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

The song is about longing for a place one has never been to, so the inaccuracy isn’t a problem.
              I've never been there either but at least I know what an atlas is.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                I'll probably get spam from easyjet and Ryanair for the next year for finding this out but Belfast to Glasgow is 45 minutes and Belfast to Liverpool is 1 hour and 5 minutes so Belfast isn't half a bloody hour away.
                No no no. If Easyjet or whoever say that the scheduled flight time from Liverpool to Belfast is 45 minutes that means it is definitely at most 30 minutes. That factors in the taxi time and the 5-10 minutes they always add to the actual time to ensure that their stats look better as to on time arrivals. There is no way that the flight time from Liverpool to Belfast is more than half an hour unless you;re in a glider or something.

Comment

Originally posted by gjt View Post

Yes, but the count in translates to "One, Two, Three, Fourteen!"
                  Yes, but he's not mixing his languages at least. Just Bonio being arch. Or a homage to Wooly Bully.

Comment

Roger Whittaker - Durham Town ( The Leaving)

"When I was a boy, I spent my time
                    sitting on the banks of the River Tyne"

Yes,that's the TOWN of Durham, on the River Tyne.

Comment

'The ISLE of Greece...'

A fairly obvious one there from Charlene.

Comment

In the Dutch Mountains by, say no more, The Nits

Comment

Why call your band Japan and then write tracks called Visions of China, Canton, Communist China and Cantonese Boy? And also Suburban Berlin, European Son, Rhodesia, and Taking Islands in Africa.

Having said that, Life in Tokyo is one of my favourites of theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Also a Texan acquaintance told me Amarillo was a "shithole".
                            Call me one-track minded, but I don't believe the aesthetic merits of the city in question were the point of those lyrics.

One of my more whimsical drunken moments many years ago involved walking into an off-licence with my gf after dinner and singing to the guy behind the counter "Where can I find your Amaretto?" [For the gf, obv, I wouldn't have bought the over-sweet stuff for myself.]

Comment

Did he sing back, "Over there, just behind the pillar"?

Comment

Sadly he failed to engage with the musical aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  Call me one-track minded, but I don't believe the aesthetic merits of the city in question were the point of those lyrics.
                                  Well, he's claiming Sweet Marie and Amarillo are pretty. My Texan acquaintance claimed otherwise.

Neil Sedaka happily admitted he'd never been to Amarillo; he just went through the road atlas until he found a town that rhymed with 'pillow'.

Comment

It always kinda bugged me that Las Vegas seems to be pronounced by many folk as if "Las" were "Los"...or am I wrong?

Comment

That's an accent thing. Elvis did it for instance. Besides, it has to be "Las" because it translates from the original German to "Whale's Vagina"

Comment

So did Elvis pronounce "last" as "lost"?

Comment

The way Cher pronounces 'Memphis' as 'Mem-fuss' instead of 'Memphis' in her version of Marc Cohn's Walking in Memphis continues to irritate me.

On the rare occasion that I might hear it, like.

Comment

Not uncommon in general conversation, I'm afraid.

As is the conflation of the first word of Los Angeles and Las Vegas, particularly by those from outside the region.

Comment

Lookee upthread!

Comment

That's what I was referencing

Unlike Snake, I don't think it is just an accent thing (though it sometimes is).

"Real Americans" regularly mangle place names of Spanish or French origin, with the formal adoption of ridiculous pronunciations of French names being particularly rife.
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-07-2019, 12:54.

Comment

Ah sorry

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

"Real Americans" regularly mangle place names of Spanish or French origin, with the formal adoption of ridiculous pronunciations of French names being particularly rife.
                                                    Brits are fairly good at that too, to be fair. My paternal grandparents lived for much of the time I knew them in the Sheffield suburb of Beauchief. Pronounced Beechiff.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X