Overstaffed bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overstaffed bands

Bands with far too many members compared to the sound they actually made.

I nominate Showaddywaddy.

So Solid Crew also qualify, but they did lose several of them over time, if memory serves.

Maroon Fucking Five. Seven...7...VII...douchebags to make that thin-as-piss racket.

Comment

And as big a fan as I am, Grateful Dead had a surfeit of drummers.

Comment

The London Philharmonic Orchestra. Do they really need that many French horns! I mean, do they!

Comment

Parliament Funkadelic.

I've seen them live, and there were more people on the stage than in the crowd. They were fucking brilliant, like.

Comment

Much as it pains me to say it, the E Street band is suffering somewhat from bloat these days. I know Clarence was irreplaceable but trying to make up for him with three brass players isn't really necessary. And how many guitarists are there now? Three... four... more?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              The London Philharmonic Orchestra. Do they really need that many French horns! I mean, do they!
              A friend of mine has been to see a few of the Orchestral/Classical treatments of dance and pop music that are going around. He reckons that there are significant differences in what you get, personnel wise, between the different offerings. Pete Tong apparently offers the best pound-to-player ratio with Ibiza Classics whereas canny Manchester businessman Peter Hook adopts more of a chamber approach for his Hacienda versions.

Comment

The Polyphonic Spree have got about ten times as many members as they (or any band) actually need.

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                The BBC Symphony Orchestra certainly looked a little overstaffed for this performance

Comment

Wings

Comment

Ed Sheeran

Comment

Boney M

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        Ed Sheeran
                        <applause>

If memory serves, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Albertos Y Lost Trios Paranoias, Blue Rondo a la Turk, and Light of the World.

Comment

Milli Vanilli.

Comment

This thread confirms that Frank Farian was clearly paying far too many people throughout his career.

I can remember seeing Calexico a couple of decades back and there seemed to be about 8,000 of them on stage. Good, though.

Comment

Stu Cook's ill-advised lead vocals. He was the 5th best singer in 4-piece Creedence

Comment

Wham!

Comment

Thompson Twins.

Both first and second incarnations.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    Ed Sheeran
                                    <double applause>

But not half as much as Michael Bolton.

Comment

Genuinely Dr Hook,there seemed like there was about 10 of them on stage.

Comment

The Polyphonic Spree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          If memory serves, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Albertos Y Lost Trios Paranoias, Blue Rondo a la Turk, and Light of the World.
                                          Dunno anything about Light Of The World, but having seen and enjoyed the other three live, you're hopelessly wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

<applause>

Dunno about Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias, but Alberto Frog and his Animal Band could easily have paid off the conductor to no great loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              Dunno anything about Light Of The World, but having seen and enjoyed the other three live, you're hopelessly wrong...
                                              Glad to hear it. To be honest I was just thinking of big bands.

Comment

Hardly gratuitous bloat, admittedly, but I remember Ned's Atomic Dustbin having two bass players.

Comment

I think that the London post-rock band Rothko have three.

Which, for a four-piece, isn't bad going.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X