X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    LA, Creep..?
    Blindness, Hey! Student...

As for Morrissey being on the list, I loved (and still do) The Smiths, but he can fuck off now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      Hah! Is it worth me swapping Kraftwerk in, I wonder.
      I would have had Kraftwerk on this thread and on "Overstaffed bands". But I'm too tired to deflect the flak.

Comment

Tupac. His flow whack.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          And yes, I say that as a fan of an awful lot of 70's hard rock. Led Zep were,largely, plodding, sexist arseholes.

Jimmy Page? Great guitarist. Robert Plant? Great singer. John Bonham? Great drummer. John Entwistle? Amazing bassist.

Bunch of cunts, like.
          Never had a lot of time for them myself, but I gotta say on first, unexpected, viewing/hearing (Communication Breakdown on some TV show fronted by Ann Nightingale) they stopped me in my tracks. There were shedloads of Brit blues bands at the time but no one else was doing it so loud and with such panache as they did. In a sense they walked into the space left by Cream, for teenage boys who were half a generation younger than I was.

Comment

This is a fascinating thread. Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Posty Webber View Post
              Tupac. His flow whack.
              Oh yes indeed. Feel the same way about Jay-Z.

Comment

If we are purely discussing Morrissey's solo music and not his fascist politics, I could certainly live happily without hearing any of it again, but I'd be lying if I said it never gave me any pleasure. 'My Love Life', for example, or 'Wrapping My Arms Around Paris' would be fine songs in any company.

I can't imagine never listening to The Smiths again, up to The Queen Is Dead. After that I can skip.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-05-2019, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Oh yes indeed. Feel the same way about Jay-Z.
                  Whoah whoah whoah. Let’s not get carried away here.

Comment

My local indie record store has banned Morrissey records

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...anned-16313914

Comment

Great shop, Spillers.

Does their 'oldest record shop in the world' claim stand up to scrutiny?

Comment

I think that it's widely acknowledged as such, no? (Guinness certainly recognises this claim, if one accepts that as 'word'.)

Good on them for sticking it to Morrissey.

Comment

It definitely feels like a worthy holder of the title.

Claims made about pubs - oldest, smallest, longest bar, etc - always seem to be disputed but I suppose that there are far more of them, longer time scales involved and everyone is too pissed to remember anyway.

The Shut Up Morrissey tote bag that I bought a few years ago has proved to be a real investment piece.

Comment

Their original shop opened in 1895 but they've moved premises a few times in the past decade

Comment

Originally posted by Posty Webber View Post

Whoah whoah whoah. Let’s not get carried away here.
                              A fuckin rhymester. Lyrics are weak, like clock radio speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Or any of those 80s MOR American "rock" bands like REO speedwagon or Boston or Chicago or some other faceless group of tedium peddlers
                                Ah now, More than a feeling is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                  Guns 'n' Roses are completely awful and the awfulness is amplified by their admirers' feeble but persistent attempts to pass them off as something radical or threatening.
                                  Guns and roses were fucking huge when I was in primary School, and I liked Paradise city at the time, it's great, if you're but I also laboured for a long time under the illusion that Axl rose was a woman. The American Alison Moyet, or the white Tracy chapman sort of thing. (Look it wasn't always easy to follow what was going on in 1987) I have to say I found the continuing fondness of some of the kids a year of two older than me for Guns and roses was weird. So I suppose that's it really. Music aimed at the 9 to 11 year olds. It's a bit different if you were actually 14 at the time or something and for better or worse its the soundtrack of your summer then fair enough, but nostalgia, it's music for small boys of all ages. Also why were guns and roses supposed to be an antidote to hair metal, they looked like Europe for god's sake.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Imitators might not be the right word but they sounded similar. Then guitar bands got poppier in the mid 90s. I'd see a trajectory from Nevermind in 91 to Definitely Maybe in 94 and then the Britpop bubble. I'm not saying Oasis wouldn't have broken through anyway, but it was easier for them as there was an openness to their grunge-lite guitar sound.
                                  This. Nevermind is on the path from The Stone Roses to Definitely maybe, via a detour into minor keys. Nevermind is just a ;load pf really good anthemic pop songs in a minor key. to make it seem sad. It's also really fucking slow. Almost oasis level slow. It cannot be stressed hard enough just how slow the typical oasis song is. Chances are if you think that there's an oasis song that isn't slow, it's actually probably so slow that the drummer is playing at double speed out of boredom.
                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 23-05-2019, 20:46.

Comment

I think I hate REO Speedwagon more than any other band. There were in constant rotation on classic rock during my formative years when that was all we had to listen to and I never heard a track of there’s that wasn’t terrible. It’s crap like that that make me glad that that rock and roll is no longer the dominant form of pop.

Foreigner are only slightly better. Boston are pretty cheesy but More Than A Feeling has grown on me over the years.

Guns N Roses are overrated but not completely abject.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      Or any of those 80s MOR American "rock" bands like REO speedwagon or Boston or Chicago or some other faceless group of tedium peddlers

A stated elsewhere Chicago's first album was excellent. The rot set in later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        I think I hate REO Speedwagon more than any other band. There were in constant rotation on classic rock during my formative years when that was all we had to listen to and I never heard a track of there’s that wasn’t terrible. It’s crap like that that make me glad that that rock and roll is no longer the dominant form of pop.

Foreigner are only slightly better. Boston are pretty cheesy but More Than A Feeling has grown on me over the years.

Guns N Roses are overrated but not completely abject.
                                        The worst of these IMO were (are?) Journey. Just a bunch of by-numbers tunes about people running away from things. But, yeah, REO Speedwagon run them a close second in the Faceless Juggernaut Band-stakes. (That guy's voice was almost as whiny and grating as Axl Rose's.)

Boston were absolute hacks, but the first album had some entertaining moments - not least MTAF. Toto also had a couple of tunes.

Styx annoyed me, too. But at least they were more unashamedly 'prog'.

Comment

And you, sir, have ears of cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            Styx annoyed me, too. But at least they were more unashamedly 'prog'.
                                            There's something almost (note: ALMOST) endearing about how batshit Dennis DeYoung in particular was willing to go. There are few albums that sum up the lunatic fringe of prog any more fervently than Kilroy Was Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

A fuckin rhymester. Lyrics are weak, like clock radio speakers.
                                              My name is Hove. H-to-tha-o-v. I used to move snowflake by the o-z.

I reckon that’s sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                And you, sir, have ears of cloth.
                                                Tell me, do you hate casablanca with an equal fervour? That song is about as good as it gets for White american male music in the 1970s, and about as good as it gets for guitar rock after the death of jimi hendrix.

Comment

That song is about as good as it gets for White american male music in the 1970s, and about as good as it gets for guitar rock after the death of jimi hendrix.
                                                  Are you......on glue?

Comment

Casablanca by Bertie Higgins? Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X