Wah! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wah! Help

I've been searching everywhere for a version of 'Come Back', where Pete Wylie comments on his record company's frustration at not selling shitloads of records. I'm paraphrasing, because I can't remember the lyrics, but it sort of goes 'Come back, Depeche Mode can have hits, Come back, Human League can have hits, etc'. I think it was an NME tape, one of the C81-C86 ones. I 'm sure I haven't dreamed this. I remember sitting on the boundary at Bangor Cricket Club watching us skank our way to 137-8 off 45 overs.

I asked Pete Wylie hinself once (by e-mail - he was buying up lots of his old records and I gave him a couple), but he couldn't remember doing the alternative version, never mind remembering the lyrics. I've Googled around, but only ever found one reference to the version. Can anyone remember/help?

Wah! Help

I remember it, and yes it was on an NME tape. But beyond that I can't help really. The cassette was called "Department of Enjoyment".

Comment

Wah! Help

Typical Wylie.

He went Top Three with 'Story of the Blues' - which is higher than Depeche Mode ever managed in the UK charts.

Anyway, that's not really helping you, sorry.

Comment

Wah! Help

It's all good. I can now keep an eye out on ebay and stuff.

Comment

Wah! Help

http://filetram.com/download/megaupload/8813363152/dept-of-enjoyment-zip

Seeing as it was a free cassette I guess there's no harm in a free file share download....

Comment

Wah! Help

MAGNIFICO!!!!

That's just effing brilliant. Many thanks.

"We'll get you on the Sooty Show". Heh.

Comment

Wah! Help

You gotta love OTF.
              A community effort... ad hoc did the hard bit remembering the name of the cassette.
              I just googled 'department of enjoyment download' and Bob was indeed yer uncle.
              It's a nice mixture of stuff, isn't it?

Comment

Wah! Help

It's a great tape. Dr. John, The Redskins, Husker Du, Nick Cave et al.

The Wah! version is better than I thought, and funnier because Pete Wylie sings: 'Come back, Howard Jones can have hits, come back, The Pretenders have hits' - and it just cracked me up. How is he not a national treasure?

Comment

Wah! Help

Having just looked at that You Tube clip and seen the cover - bollocks! I had that, now I just have to remember where that shoebox is with all my old NME tapes.

Comment

Wah! Help

Jah Womble wrote: Typical Wylie.

He went Top Three with 'Story of the Blues' - which is higher than Depeche Mode ever managed in the UK charts
                    Eggs, basket.

Comment

Wah! Help

Yeah, kind of. I'm not sure what point I was making back there, six years ago. I think that was one of my first posts on this version of the board.

The Truth were certainly 'a band of that era' - Dennis Greaves's next group following Nine Below Zero - but would be a very odd target, it must be said. (I thought he was saying 'even Rush can have hits' in the final chorus, which would by then have been highly inaccurate. Perhaps it was 'Ian Rush'...)

The first bar or two of that sound like Joy Division.

Comment

Wah! Help

I have a link to a much cleaner version - here. I'm not obessesed, honest.

It was written after the time Wylie was binned off by WEA, and just around the time he signed to Beggars Banquet. So the bands referred to should be from the WEA stable. I haven't done my research, but he mention Yes (not Rush, I think) and Aztec Camera.

Comment

Wah! Help

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: I have a link to a much cleaner version - here. I'm not obessesed, honest.

It was written after the time Wylie was binned off by WEA, and just around the time he signed to Beggars Banquet. So the bands referred to should be from the WEA stable. I haven't done my research, but he mention Yes (not Rush, I think) and Aztec Camera.
                          I wasn't being entirely serious about Rush. But, Yes? Maybe - they'd had a recent US #1 with Owner of a Lonely Heart I guess - but still a bizarre target. I guess Wylie wasn't in a good place. As he so often hasn't been, sadly.

Comment

Wah! Help

I had (and still have somewhere back in the UK) the 12" of 'Come Back and that version was definitely one of the four songs on there.

Comment

The version you want is not only on that NME cassette, but this particular "Come Back" 12", and it's titled "Come Back! ('The Return of the Randy Scouse Git')."

https://www.discogs.com/The-Mighty-W...elease/1010872

Here's a YooChoob of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5WGwRtvUs

Happy to help.
                              Last edited by eyevocal; 12-03-2019, 04:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X