Jon & Vangelis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon & Vangelis

Not the sort of thing one normally admits in polite company, but I've been on a bit of a Jon Anderson (Yes) kick lately. The man could sing the phone book and it would sound lovely, IMHO. So, being familiar with the '80s FM-radio staple Friends of Mr Cairo, I gave the whole album a spin. And fuck me, it's fantastic. Frankly, FOMC could be one of the weaker tracks (Hello 'The Mayflower'), but its full length album version is far superior to the radio 'single'. Anyway, top notch album from front to back. Stunning songs with lush but minimal compositions, if that makes any sense.

I'll save this from being a Nil thread, WOM, and join you in admitting a fondness for Jon Anderson, although with me it's early Yes (up to and including 'Relayer'). Only a few weeks ago I dug out his 1976 solo 'Olias Of Sunhillow' - an album that I purchased in the week of release when I was 16 and probably haven't listened to in 30 years or more. I was surprised at how much I still enjoyed it.

Comment

You're a good man to throw me a lifeline like that. I'll have to give that solo album a go.

Comment

Hah. I think you'll like it. The subject matter is straight out of the Yes playbook and a prime example of that oft-derided 70's Prog sub-group, the concept album. Musically, however, it's quite similar in style to Jon & Vangelis and you can hear and appreciate how much compositional input Anderson brought to that partnership. If memory serves, Vangelis was wrongly accused by his record company of playing uncredited keyboards on the album - in fact Anderson played every instrument.

Comment

Working...
        X