Musicians Born in 1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musicians Born in 1959

Just to spin this off the Robert Smith thread, there's a collection of 60th birthdays coming up:

Robert Smith April 21
    Marco Pirroni April 27
    Morrissey May 22
    Pete Burns (RIP) August 5

Rather more worryingly, the top 3 are older than Mike Pence (June 7, 1959)

Spandaus John Keeble (6th July 59) and Gary Kemp (16th October 59)

Comment

Andrew Eldritch (15th May)

Comment

David Koresh

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          Andrew Eldritch (15th May)
          I'm going to see the Sisters in September. A mate suggested it after a few drinks and I signed up. Any idea where the expectation bar should be set to avoid disappointment?

Comment

Ian McCulloch, 5 May
            Bryan Adams, 5 November
            "Weird Al" Yankovic 23 October

And "sorry we forgot your birthday" cards to 60-year-olds Sade (16 Jan) and Flavor Flav (16 March)

Comment

Brian Setzer (Stray Cats/BSO - 10/4)
              Sheena Easton (27/4)
              Ian McCulloch (Echo & The Bunnymen - 5/5)
              Andy McCluskey (OMD - 24/6)
              Jim Kerr (Simple Minds - 9/7)
              Suzanne Vega (11/7)
              Morten Harket (a-ha - 14/9)
              Youssou N'Dour (1/10)
              Gavin Friday (Virgin Prunes - 8/10)
              Marie Osmond (11/10)
              Weird Al Yankovic (23/10)
              Billy Childish (Thee Milkshakes/Headcoats - 1/12)

Now there's a festival line-up for you...
              Last edited by Jah Womble; 03-04-2019, 09:24. Reason: Slight cross-post overlapping with jwdd...

Comment

Chris Lowe is another one (4 October).

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I'm going to see the Sisters in September. A mate suggested it after a few drinks and I signed up. Any idea where the expectation bar should be set to avoid disappointment?
                  Don't go. I saw them last year. It was Eldritch, the guitarist, a load of machines and a sound quality akin to that of somebody rolling marbles around in a frying pan. And they were only on for an hour, all-in.

If you love, or loved, The Sisters Of Mercy even a tenth as much as I did 30-odd years ago, you'll lose faith in the air that you breathe if you go and see them.

Comment

Hmm, that's fairly unequivocal. Is there any chance that they might have been having an off night or was it rotten from the foundations upwards?

The tickets have already been purchased so I might have to go along but spend the duration of their set on the smoking terrace. I'll take up smoking again closer to the time.

Comment

Christ, a quick perusal of recent live reviews shows yours as one of the kinder verdicts, treibeis.

Never discuss possible concert going after a few drinks. I should have learned my lesson after the time I was tricked into going to see Meatloaf, but it seems not.

Comment

Christ, you must really have been bladdered.

(Mind you, twenty-odd years back I worked with Mr Loaf twice within a week and he was utterly charming.)

Comment

Did you address him as Mr Loaf or did he say "call me Meat"?

In his interviews he's not the sharpest tool in the box, e.g. with regard to Trump.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ical-interview

He must also be a good Dead Pool pick: 71 and not in the best of health
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-04-2019, 10:21.

Comment

We were under strict instruction not to call him 'Mr Loaf', tbh - he actually suggested himself that we call him 'Meat' or 'Marv'. (I couldn't quite bring myself to do either, however.) As will be unsurprising to learn, Meat Loaf was a guest on NMTB (in which, as I recall, he sang a bizarre mash-up of Fat Les's Vindaloo and Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire) and then a few days later on Comic Relief, for which he guested on a hybrid panel show. My only recollection of the latter was that he couldn't understand a single word that Nick Hancock was saying.

I guess the Trump stuff doesn't really surprise me, unfortunately.

Comment

Bringing this back up because of two 1959ers gone too soon lately: Terry Hall, Irene Cara.

Some others from that year:
                              Susanna Hoffs
                              Jody Watley
                              Mike Peters
                              Alan Wilder
                              Paul Westerberg
                              Tracey Ullman
                              Christina Amphlett
                              Kirsty MacColl

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Did you address him as Mr Loaf or did he say "call me Meat"?

In his interviews he's not the sharpest tool in the box, e.g. with regard to Trump.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ical-interview

He must also be a good Dead Pool pick: 71 and not in the best of health
                                I can't believe I predicted this and still didn't pick him.

Comment

Working...
                                X