The Cure in the Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cure in the Hall of Fame

Can't find a suitable thread, but if you haven't seen this interview, it's very funny.

https://youtu.be/VFINzd26anI

Robert Smith interviewed by a very excited young lady.

Pearl Thompson looks absolutely awesome in the final part of the clip. Would you happen to know what gender pronouns Pearl prefers because the Wiki page is still going with the masculine?

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-03-2019, 14:13.

Comment

Robert Smith's reaction (about 50-55 seconds in) when she howls that she's been a fan since birth is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
        Can't find a suitable thread, but if you haven't seen this interview, it's very funny.

https://youtu.be/VFINzd26anI

Robert Smith interviewed by a very excited young lady.
        She was still less excited than I would have been.

Comment

Are you in the fan club, hobbes? I'd like to join to get news when they're playing London later in the year, can't see how to on their website. I missed out last year as it clashed with another gig.

Comment

I'm not, no. I've a thing about fan clubs, if I'm honest.
            I just keep a regular eye out on Chain of Flowers which is Craig Parker's long running fan site.
            He's also on twitter and usually gets the news first.

Comment

Thanks. No, I'm not keen on fanclubs, except that they sometimes get access to tickets before touts hoover them up.

Comment

Yeah. If anything like that comes up. Craig will usually publish the password.
                I'll keep you posted if I hear anything too.

Comment

Robert's really nailed the ageing lesbian look.

Comment

Do ageing lesbians have a look?

Robert's look does puzzle me somewhat, as he was such a goodlooking young man, and seems as though he's deliberately made himself look less pretty with the make-up and all (rather than 'letting himself go' or simply being ravaged by age or substances), but then that's the sort of thing grown-ups would say to me when I was young, and I suppose it's the equivalent of "why don't you comb your hair and put a pretty dress on?"

He's himself, always.

Comment

Do ageing lesbians have a look?
                      ​​​​​​​Men Who Look Like Old Lesbians

Comment

I know that's a thing, but I find it disrespectful to 'old lesbians'. Not up for a row about it.

Comment

I think he just wears make-up these days to make his features look distinctive when doing public events rather than to create any particular look.

I doubt that anyone would be able to distinguish middle-aged lesbians* from middle-aged heterosexual women in a line-up, especially those who came of age in the post-punk or New Romantic period. Moreover, stereotypes of lesbians are self-contradictory: either no make-up (Greenham Common stereotype) or too much (transphobic stereotypes).

*Smith's not "old" (he turns 60 on April 21st, 6 days before Marco Pirroni and 31 days before Morrissey does) nor are the women in the above link.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 02-04-2019, 20:52.

Comment

White male in 'got old and puffy' shocker.

Comment

He could have done what I do and shaved the head (see also Marco P) but that's not him. His trademark scarecrow hairdo probably accentuates the puffiness whereas a baldie gets away with it more

Comment

<things I could say>

They're both 3 months older than me. And five years younger than Adam Ant.

Comment

I use the #2 on the clippers and it takes a good 5 years off my appearance. I've avoided the general age-related puffiness, thanks to the thyroid disease.

Comment

Every cloud, eh?

Comment

<things I could say>

They're both 3 months older than me. And five years younger than Adam Ant.
                                      Older than Mike Pence (see new thread)

Comment

Meanwhile, back on The Cure, that blog hobbes refers to is great, and there's clip on there of Robert Smith's wife Mary dancing to their performance at the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Thanks. No, I'm not keen on fanclubs, except that they sometimes get access to tickets before touts hoover them up.
                                          The first time I saw The Cure, in '92, it was through the fan club.

Comment

Working...
                                          X