Ship Come In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship Come In

Scott Walker’s died. I always thought he was fucking great, all of it. The pop stuff, the crooning stuff, the new wave stuff, the nuts stuff.

1. Nite Flights
    2. Farmer In The City
    3. We Came Through
    4. My Ship Is Coming In
    5. The Electrician

OK, I'll go with this one.

I had a Walker Brothers binge back in the day, a sort of milder version of 'what Lucy said'. I got into them about the same time as karaoke was taking off (in the West), which probably wasn't good for anybody else's ears.

But yeah, some cracking tunes. RIP.

Comment

A Magnificent body of work. I've been an admirer since "The sun ain't gonna shine anymore" blew me away as an 8 year old.
      I made a note of it in our primary school class diary when it got to number one and Miss Priestley (who,looking back was probably only in her early 20s) gave me a star for it.

His version of Jacques Brel's "My Death" has always tom me up. It may be a while before I listen to it again.
      Rest Easy Maestro.

Comment

We have a framed copy of Scott (One) in our hallway. Not my favourite (that'd be 4 or Tilt, if the first four on Nite Flights don't count on their own), but he looks absolutely great on the front of it. The wife called down from the bathroom this morning, "I've got some bad news, Scott Walker's dead." I thought for a moment she said the hot water was off, and I was really annoyed, but I'd rather it had been that!

Comment

Didn't like any of his later stuff, but I'm eternally grateful for Scott—Scott 4.

Comment

A weird one for me as I was something of a fan of his work but my mum named me after him (no, not Ray - or Noel for that matter) as she loved him around the time of my birth in 1968. The fact that I was conceived and christened in Scotland sealed the deal, otherwise I always suspect I would have been called Elvis.

Comment

Thank god you weren't named after the twat who became Governor of Wisconsin.

Comment

I can't quite believe it. He was simply one of the mightiest popular musical figures ever.

I'm allowing myself a smile at how much he'd fucking hate people using Walker Brothers and early solo songs to pay tribute instead of his experimental stuff.

Comment

Oh my. Recordings aside my strongest memory is his Songs of Jacques Brel TV special. I'd never heard of Brel, and was probably pretty typical at the time. It came when SW was widely viewed as nothing more than a teenie-bopper dreamboat, and received with widespread perplexity. Looking back it was a very courageous artistic move, and drew a distinct line in his career.

Now his death suggests yet another reason to be looking over my shoulder for signs of The Electrician, or someone like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                    Scott Walker’s died. I always thought he was fucking great, all of it. The pop stuff, the crooning stuff, the new wave stuff, the nuts stuff.
                    This. An all-time great who made the music he wanted to, and those of us who love it are so much richer for that. Celebrating his life today by listening to all of 'em.

<sings> His Mother caaalled him Ivan... then she diiiied.

He loved writing songs about dictators!

Comment

That album with Sunn O gives me the fear.

Comment

Working...
                      X