Songs you bracket together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs you bracket together

Firstly apologies as I may have made "bracket" into a verb there.

So, this is about songs you think of together, for whatever obscure reason. The following three I first heard as a child in the 70s and all were, to my untrained ears a little "different", or even odd, at least compared to typical music of the time. I've not listened to any of them regularly since (a little more so VP) but just put them in a short playlist and I reckon they still hold together OK:

Roxy Music - Virginia Plain (1972)
    https://youtu.be/BonWfTW7jKc

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Judy Teen (1974)
    https://youtu.be/TYo55YzwAfE

Mink DeVille - Spanish Stroll (1977)
    https://youtu.be/YgTNCI8vnvQ

1) The first Scottish Indie I became aware of:

I'm Falling - Bluebells
    Oblivious - Aztec Camera
    Felicity - Orange Juice

They just seemed more sincere, less cynical, than what the mainstream charts were becoming around the time of the 1983 re-election of Thatcher.

2) Songs sung in a low key seemed to stick in the memory:

Brilliant Mind - Furniture
    Skin Deep - Stranglers
    Wonderful Life - Black

3) I tend to mix up Sandie Shaw and Dusty Springfield singles despite Dusty being clearly the better singer. For example, I instantly think "There's Always Something There To Remind Me" is Dusty.

4) Pre-Britpop that sounds like Britpop

Unbelievable - EMF
    There's No Other Way - Blur

Note: I don't claim that any of these groupings are rational.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-03-2019, 01:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      Firstly apologies as I may have made "bracket" into a verb there.
      But it is a verb.

Comment

I did wonder whether that might be the case, but knew I could rely on OTF to tell me.

So thanks.

Comment

I occasionally do this with songs I feel are blatant attempts to "rebottle lightning" and refer to them as the original part II.

i.e. Steam by Peter Gabriel is just Sledgehammer part II.

Comment

Yes - Depeche Mode tried the same thing, with Precious channelling Enjoy The Silence. The two are always linked in my mind for that reason, which I understand comprises a subset of the OP’s premise.

Comment

I get that with The Kink's 'You Really Got Me' continues with 'All Day And All Of The Night.'

Comment

"Suspicious Minds" by Elvis and "Dancing Queen" by Abba are not only linked to each other but also to the smell of new carpet in my mind. In the 70s, my mum and Dad took over a pub and refitted the old skittle alley as a restaurant. They installed a jukebox with both of those songs on as well and they are always evocative of that time and that smell.

When DJing, I always pair "War" by Edwin Starr with "Lowrider" by War but no-one seems to get it. A fellow DJ mate pairs "I feel love" by Donna Summer with "Down On The Street" by the Stooged which works to a great - and non-punning - extent.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                  I occasionally do this with songs I feel are blatant attempts to "rebottle lightning" and refer to them as the original part II.

i.e. Steam by Peter Gabriel is just Sledgehammer part II.
                  You might even say 'Part III' - Big Time was probably 'Part II'. And that was on the same blimming album!

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    I tend to mix up Sandie Shaw and Dusty Springfield singles despite Dusty being clearly the better singer. For example, I instantly think "There's Always Something There To Remind Me" is Dusty.
                    Which is a shame, as this recording demonstrates. Recorded off the TV unfortunately; never released.

Comment

Yes I found that via a Google and was struck by how it's exactly the same arrangement but with a vocal that would have made the record timeless.

Comment

If someone asks me the tune to Star Wars i somehow always end up humming the theme from Superman. So whenever i hear one of them i think of the other.

Comment

The Beatles - I've Just Seen A Face and Pulp - Something Changed

Comment

I read recently the Star Wars theme was constructed so that it would segue from the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

Comment

That's fascinating. My mate had a vinyl album with key quotes from the original Star Wars, movie, basically telling the story in 45 minutes. At 13 I. obviously hadn't seen many 20th Century Fox films as I thought the two bits of music were all part of the same thing. So it obviously worked.

My kids marvel* at my ability to repeat so many quotes from the first movie verbatim - this album was why.

*or are bored to tears but too polite to say so.

Comment

Working...
                              X