The Isley Brothers Twist & Shout

Bo Diddley Roadrunner

Bob Dylan A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall

Love Seven and Seven Is

Bruce Springsteen Thunder Road

Tom Waits Tom Traubert's Blues

Emiliana Torrini Bleeder

Book:

À la recherche du temps perdu (in English)

Luxury:

The biggest pad of paper in the world and a retractable pencil with an endless supply of leads.
    I'm a bit light on the ladies. Tough to know who to drop though.... Maybe Tom Waits for The Jaynetts Sally Go Round the Roses.

Wait! I only picked seven as well. So I'll add Who Knows Where the Time Goes? by Fairport Convention. Aside from probably being Sandy Denny's finest moment, it seems appropriate when alone on an island.

Comment

Today:

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - The Beatles
      Losing My Religion - REM
      Bolero - Ravel
      Mess Of My - The Fall
      Step Inside Love - Cilla Black
      Jamie's Song - The Deviants
      The Return of the Giant Hogweed - Genesis
      The Jungle Line - Joni Mitchell

Book: Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome

Luxury: A lifetime's supply of anti-mosquito spray.

By the way, Jerome K Jerome's original middle name was Clapp.

Comment

I've never really thought about this before, so this would be off the top of my head and likely to change tomorrow:

Songs:
        Streetlight Manifesto - A Better Place, A Better Time
        At The Drive-In - One Armed Scissor
        Arctic Monkeys - Do Me A Favour
        Damien Rice - I Remember
        Bryan Adams - Is Your Mama Gonna Miss Ya
        Metallica - One
        Oasis - Slideaway
        Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over

Book - The 1992 Roy of the Rovers Annual (I have my reasons)

Luxury Item - My chipped PSP with means to keep it charged
        Last edited by Simon G; 16-09-2021, 08:15. Reason: EDIT: It changed within 3 mins. I dropped The Dead South - Recap for At The Drive-In - One Armed Scissor

Comment

Ooh. Okay. I'm choosing mostly songs that have had a profound effect or connection to the past.

1/1 - Brian Eno
          The Dignity of Labour (Part 3) - The Human League
          Band of Gold - Freda Payne
          Trouble In Mind - Marianne Faithfull
          Dress - P.J. Harvey
          (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing - Heaven 17
          Cars - Gary Numan
          A Huge Evergrowing Pulsating Brain Which Rules From The Centre Of Ultraworld - The Orb*

Book - Magic Hour: A Life in Movies. Jack Cardiff

Luxury Item - Cricket bat and ball

Comment

1. Human League - Don't You Want Me? - The first song I properly, properly loved. It was absolutely the sound of the future when I was 8.
            2. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message 12" - My best mate had a double A side of this and Step Off when I was a kid. The Message was my introduction to music as a method of change. And we used to ride round Pumkinland rapping away like the sad, middle class, white pre teens we were. Of course I already knew that life could be tough in the city. I had seen Cagnety and Lacey, I wasn't a complete naif.
            3. Madonna - Into The Groove - I developed a short but intensely powerful crush on Madonna around this time. It kickstarted the concept of how music could be sexy in my mind. Puberty, eh?
            4. The Cure - A Strange Day - My one great and enduring musical love are The Cure. And this song is the one I love most. (And can play every part.)
            5. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - From The Hip - when I was 17 and able to drive, the 1984-1989 Lloyd Cole tape got stuck in the player in the car. So for a whole summer it was the soundtrack to freedom.
            6. Vaughan Willams - A Lark Ascending (played by Janine Jansen) - Saw Jansen play this at the Proms one time. It was sublime. The recording is what I go to if I ever get too stressed or anxious. I can put it on headphones and disappear into the sky
            7. B.E.R - The Night Begins to Shine - The cub's favourite song and a brilliant modern take on coke rock. I'd hear it and think of the cub singing along happily
            8. The Cure - Just Like Heaven - Not my favourite Cure song (although it's in the top 10) but when I was handed the cub as a small purple, yowling bundle and told to go somewhere else while P was ministered to by the midwife, all I could think to do was sing to him. This was the song.

Book - Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood

Luxury Item - The means by which to play video games

Comment

Restricting my choice of records to those first heard in the early/mid Seventies which had the most profound influence on my subsequent musical journey makes what would have been an otherwise impossible task somewhat easier. So, in no particular order....

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein
              Bo Hansson - Flight To The Ford
              Yes - Roundabout (Yessongs version)
              Soft Machine - Bundles/Land Of The Bag Snake
              Herbie Hancock - Butterfly
              Miles Davis - Pharoah's Dance
              Weather Report - Nubian Sundance
              Pat Metheny - Lakes

Book - Like Ray, the Complete Works Of P G Wodehouse. Always guaranteed to lift the spirits.

Luxury Item - A saxophone, in the hope that it's never too late.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                Restricting my choice of records to those first heard in the early/mid Seventies which had the most profound influence on my subsequent musical journey makes what would have been an otherwise impossible task somewhat easier.
                Danny Baker did something similar when he appeared on the show but I think his yardstick was music that had an impact on him in the first decade of his life.

Knowing Baker he probably expected to make further appearances to cover later decades (much as his live tours have done) but I think we can safely say any slim chance there ever was of that happening has disappeared.

Comment

Having a look at my list above which is at least a year old I have been pondering for a while putting 'Shut Up' by Stormzy in as it's the best song of the last ten years and also ticks the box of reminding me of my children. I've returned to this idea since seeing him live again at Reading recently.

I'd have the youtube version (which was the one I originally heard on its release as I don't like the way the full recorded version on the subsequent album ends) but can't decide what to drop for it.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 16-09-2021, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Yes it was through the BC chat on the Intros thread I realised just how much I love this track, so it ousted the Stone Roses. Otherwise they’d have made ten years with Richard and Karen.

Is any of your stuff from Mali on Spotify and do you have any particular recommendations?
                    I've just sent you a few, well more than a few, recommendations. If the BBC I Player works for you the Andy Kershaw programmes are a great starting point, especially his story on how he first heard Ali Farka Toure.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha thank you.

Comment

Day’s music choice. Tomorrow’s choice might be a wee bit different

Let It Be - Beatles

Martha - Tom Waits

If Love Could Last Forever - The Bathers

State of Art - Friends Again

In A Big Country - Big Country

The Promise - Eric Bogle

Tiny Words - The Orchids

If It Be Your Will - Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                          Martha - Tom Waits
                          Epic tearjerker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Epic tearjerker.
                            fantastic song - my daughter’s name is Martha and she always gets mad when I say “Martha….Martha…..I love you, can’t you see”

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                              Tiny Words - The Orchids
                              Choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Choice!
                                Absolutely love The Orchids. I was living abroad when they first came out and I only first heard of them 3 or 4 years ago. The first 3 songs I heard were Blue Light, Tiny Words and A Kind of Eden. That was it for me. I was smitten! Bought their complete back catalogue on iTunes. Absolutely tremendous. Then I found out they were still occasionally playing live. Saw them in concert in Glasgow in 2019. Brilliant. Best concert I’d been to in ages. They have a new album coming out shortly. Can’t wait!

Comment

Time-David Bowie
                                  GSTQ-Sex Pistols
                                  Complete Control-Clash
                                  Love Will Tear Us Apart-Joy Division
                                  Harlem Shuffle-Bob & Earl
                                  Trans Europe Express-Kraftwerk
                                  Anyone Who Had A Heart-Dionne Warwick
                                  Killing Moon-Echo & Bunnymen

Good As Gold-Joseph Heller

Just noticed posted on this thread in 2017. And Joy DIvision the only song piccked each time.
                                  Last edited by ale; 02-10-2021, 20:41.

Comment

Working...
                                  X