Post-Punk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    The first Fall LP has quite a number of tracks which I would categorize as punk rather than post punk, such as Industrial Estate, No Xmas for John Quays and Futures and Pasts.
    Yes, maybe so. I think that it's the post-punk environment into which it was released that defines it in this case.

Comment

This album from Bruised has a nice Joy Division/Killing Joke blend:

https://chicagoresearch.bandcamp.com...6-rotten-codex

Also, if you check out other releases on the label, you will find a new LP from Product KF, which is a band I listed in the OP for this thread:
      https://chicagoresearch.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I don't know if I posted this one from Slab City yet, but it is really good. Songs are all in Spanish.
        https://austerityrealm.bandcamp.com/...-delle-streghe
        Last edited by danielmak; 22-07-2019, 22:05.

Comment

German post-punk from 1980: Abwarts

Comment

Australian band X, "I Don't Wanna Go Out"

And a live version that is a little less weird in terms of vocal parts but has a much more aggressive guitar sound:

Last edited by danielmak; 05-09-2019, 03:52.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to listen to this record yet, but just heard the track "The Slump" and it's a perfect fit for the the thread:

https://coldpumas.bandcamp.com/album/the-hanging-valley

Comment

I'll complete a trio of music posts for the day:

Primetime, "Tied Down" from a couple years back:

Comment

Post Punk you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP-JpdkiP-0

Comment

Because, right...

Comment

Two new songs from Australian band, Cold Meat. A little heavier than some of the other bands shared in this thread but certainly the kind of heavy you might expect from Australia if you've been paying attention to various types of punk and post-punk coming out of that country during the past few decades.

https://staticshockrecords.bandcamp....-and-flustered

Comment

A little bit of Killing Joke/Red Lorry Yellow Lorry in the sound of this band called Haldol. Plus some other stuff I can place but not name:

https://haldol.bandcamp.com/album/self-titled-45-lp

Comment

There's a French film that was just added to Amazon in the US called Le Choc de Futur. The film won't blow you way, but it's worth the 1 hour 20 minutes and it fits well with this thread. It's about a woman whose basically hustling to soundtrack commercials but show works with synthesizers and sequencers. The music she wants to make fits well with some sounds mentioned in this thread: Cabaret Voltaire, early Human League, Power Corruption and Lies-era New Order. And the pre-recorded music in the film also fits: Throbbing Gristle, Suicide. There's also a bit of a Ladytron vibe to the music, which I wouldn't call post-punk but fits nicely with the bands listed above.
                          Last edited by danielmak; 03-05-2020, 06:22.

Comment

I hate it when bands use autoplay to start with a track other than the first song. If you like song 4 best, then make that song 1. Anyway, this is wonderful. A mix of Huggy Bear, Gang of Four, and Pretty Girls Make Graves.

Destructos

https://destructos.bandcamp.com/album/blast

Comment

If you stick some of the anarcho punk bands like Rudimentry Peni in a blender with Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy, you might get Children with Dog Feet:

https://childrenwithdogfeet.bandcamp...b-your-anarchy

Comment

PragVec are appearing on CD for the first time ever very soon, I'm reliably informed.

Comment

Now that's a name that I've not heard for many a long decade.

Comment

Oh, and welcome to our world.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Syd_Casualty View Post
                                      PragVec are appearing on CD for the first time ever very soon, I'm reliably informed.
                                      Not a band I was familiar with. Just listened to the Peel Session on YouTube and really dig it. Thanks.

Comment

Theirs was a name that I always associate with the early days of the Indie Chart - which I'd read in the Record Mirror wondering who the hell these people were. (And then inevitably finding out via John Peel later on.)

Comment

I went to see PragVec a couple of times, I think they supported the Swell Maps. I have their Existentialist EP, and like it very much.

"We could sit about, talk about the kind of fags we smoke, there's low-tar, middle-tar and high, high, high" from memory (I think).

Comment

Interesting mish-mash compilation here:

https://louderthanwar.com/various-artists-shake-the/

TRACK LISTING:

DISC ONE:
                                            1. GUESS WHO? – A Certain Ratio
                                            2. COUP – 23 Skidoo
                                            3. 100 EVIL SMOKESTACKING BABY – Haircut 100
                                            4. THIS FEAR OF GODS – Simple Minds
                                            5. LOVE 30 – The Stranglers
                                            6. BORN EVERY MINUTE – The Passage
                                            7. SARAVA – Blue Rondo A La Turk
                                            8. SERBIAN VILLAGE – Medium Medium
                                            9. PUSH OUT THE BOAT – The Higsons
                                            10. POST WAR GLAMOUR GIRLS – John Cooper Clarke
                                            11. SKIN DEEP – The Passions
                                            12. INVADERS OF THE HEART (MIX ONE) –Jah Wobble
                                            13. CAN YOU MOVE – Modern Romance
                                            14. SLANG TEACHER – Wide Boy Awake
                                            15. HYPNOTISED – C Cat Trance
                                            16. STRETCH – Maximum Joy

DISC TWO:
                                            1. LIONS – Tones On Tail
                                            2. TRUST IS A MUST – Ian Dury
                                            3. WHAT DANCE IS THIS? – Perfect Zebras
                                            4. FAITH & HOPE & CHARITY – The Fun Boy Three
                                            5. DREAM GAMES – Shock
                                            6. RUSHA – Jesse Rae
                                            7. DON’T – Thomas Leer
                                            8. BIG MAN RESTLESS – Kissing The Pink
                                            9. BLUE FOR YOU – Paul Haig
                                            10. FREQUENCY 7 – Visage
                                            11. BANG EM RIGHT – Six Sed Red
                                            12. TINGLE – Quando Quango
                                            13. CCCAN’T YOU SEE – Vicious Pink
                                            14. MOVE ON – Fashi?n
                                            15. SET FIGHTER – Wide Boy Awake

DISC THREE:
                                            1. WHEN ARE WE? (NOW WE ARE) – Surface Mutants
                                            2. WHY ARE WE IN LOVE – Furniture
                                            3. ROB A BANK – The Pop Group
                                            4. GET IT RIGHT – Animal Magic
                                            5. BLACK LEATHER – Nightmares In Wax
                                            6. OBEDIENCE – Normil Hawaiians
                                            7. ASBESTOS LEAD ASBESTOS – The 012
                                            8. KEEP BEAT – Vee VV
                                            9. LIVING WILD – Mataya Clifford
                                            10. SO MANY WAYS – Electric Chairs
                                            11. DREAMS ARE BETTER – London Underground
                                            12. ARTY-FACT – Group Therapy
                                            13. WE ARE ALL ANIMALS – The Diagram Brothers
                                            14. QUIT THE BODY – The Chicken Granny
                                            15. BED BOUND SAGA – Machine Gunn Hogg And Co
                                            16. HOGGS MIGHT FLY – Playgroup
                                            17. SHAKE (THE FOUNDATIONS) – Glaxo Babies
                                            18. DISCO PURGE – Family Fodder

Last edited by MsD; 24-03-2021, 22:12.

Comment

To deviate a little bit away from "canonical" post-punk, there's also the largely American post-hardcore scene, some prominent examples being Fugazi, Husker Du, Minutemen, Big Black, arguably some iterations of Black Flag, Nomeansno, The Jesus Lizard, Quicksand, Slint, etc.

Comment

Don't forget fIrehose! Mike Watt is so good.

Comment

Yeah absolutely, there's loads I missed out on, I at least had Minutemen in there, it's also good fun seeing how the sounds changed according to the regional hardcore scenes that flowered in areas like NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, etc.

Comment

These US bands are a lot more complicated. Most didn't start with the first wave of punk, which was much weirder in the US. Ramones sounded nothing like The Dickies who sounded nothing like The Dils who sounded nothing like Blondie.

Husker Du, The Replacements, Minutemen all were lumped into a hardcore scene, but the category only applied to the first record from Husker Du and The Replacements (of the three on this list). These bands and others ultimately became the foundational alternative rock bands (bands that were the foundation for the Our Band Could Be Your Life book). I do wonder if The Minutemen were to start today if they'd appeal more to a post-punk fanbase than a hardcore fanbase. I think it was mostly location (San Pedro, CA) and label affiliation (SST) that led hardcore fans to dig Minutemen.

I don't think many post-punk purists care much about post-hardcore. Of course, there are many people into alternative types of music that are interested in any kind (or most types) of punk sub-genres. Hell, I post across all of them on this board.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X