Post-Punk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Punk Thread

Obviously the collection of sounds that fall under this category was and is much more diverse than what is now generally labeled as punk. If nothing else, I figured I'd create this thread as alternative to Spotify when I'm at work:

Molar (I was really disappointed to miss them when I was in London but football won out over music)
    https://molartheband.bandcamp.com/music

Product KF (for fans of Warsaw/Joy Division)
    https://p-kf.bandcamp.com/

Silent Age (a little gothier but for fans of The Cure)
    https://silentagechicago.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2016

Rakta (band from Brazil. Only one track up from the new album so far but other stuff is there)
    https://rakta.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by danielmak; 13-03-2019, 01:32.

Thanks for those, danielmak.

I'm going to this in May. ACR are a brilliant live band and Section 25 put on a good show in their current incarnation. It's not exactly a showcase for new acts - Shadowparty are a side project made up of members of New Order and Devo - but Sink Ya Teeth are well worth checking out. They hark back to the early '80s electro club music that had strong links to post punk, but with a sleeker modern undercarriage.

Comment

Oooh, I might want to come back to this thread on a regular basis....I will listen to those links .......and ^that looks good and can also vouch for SYT....and good God I remember a cold winters night downstairs at the Hammersmith Clarendon where I saw Section 25..there were fewer in the audience than in the title of the bloody band.

Here's some bits and pieces I have recently encountered..

1. Crack Cloud - Canadian 7-piece - causing cramped conditions on stage at a recent Lexington gig.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hINiuO0OY

Spurned some spin-offs including...

2. NOV3L
      https://n0v3l.bandcamp.com/album/novel-2

3. Kaelan Mikla - Icelandic female three-piece - have been allocated as 'coldwave' - I would say they are colder than if a lorry of liquid nitrogen crashed into the 4AD offices around 1983. I was at this gig and the footage is pretty good...if only that it captures a rather guttural roar about 10 seconds in..
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3NHvfYq1Q4

4. I have revisited this...Post Punk Ground Zero (as near as dammit..see elsewhere !) Rema Rema by Rema Rema
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpVCizPHg0

Comment

That Crack Cloud track is great. Fits really well with DFA stuff. I'm going to check out the other recommendations you both posted tomorrow. Thanks for posting the various links. I bought the first CD reissue of Section 25's first record in a cutout bin in the early 1990s. I was elated to find that CD. Now it's been reissued again (well, I guess that was nearly a decade ago) with even more tracks. I might have to dive back in, although I hate buying the same releases over and over again when there are so many other CDs I don't own yet that I would like to buy.

Comment

(TANGENT) Why do people pay serious bunce to go and see a band play a 'DJ set', as in "The Other Two" (who I assume are still Stephen and Gillian from New Order)?

I don't care what music Barry Manilow listens to at home, just get up there and "Copacabana" it, beeyatch.

Comment

Sorry.

What's the definition of 'post-punk'? (UK please. My tiny brain can't cope with the vastness of Americana quite yet. I would probably have said Devo, but they were pre-punk.)

Comment

To me, 'post-punk' will always represent music that builds on the original ethos of punk, in most cases developing it in a more experimental or creative manner.

The highest-profile early post-punk acts were Joy Division, The Cure, Cabaret Voltaire, Gang Of Four, Bauhaus, Psychedelic Furs, ACR - plus some artists extant from the earlier punk explosion: PiL, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Magazine, Wire, The Fall, The Slits - in the UK; Devo, Talking Heads, Television, Pere Ubu, Wall Of Voodoo, Bush Tetras, Mission Of Burma and others, in the US. (These were augmented by more avant-garde acts such as Throbbing Gristle, The Pop Group, This Heat, the already-a-decade-old Suicide...)

Obviously there have since emerged hundreds of offshoot genres, but the term itself is still applied to contemporary bands that capture that same essence - forty years on...

Comment

^ pretty good list there, more or less the exact list I'd give, except that you omitted Dirk Wears White Sox period Adam and the Ants.

Comment

Not that it matters, but The Teardrop Explodes? Even Japan? Actually, timing wise, definitely Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                    ^ pretty good list there, more or less the exact list I'd give, except that you omitted Dirk Wears White Sox period Adam and the Ants.
                    Fed, in part, by Rema Rema.

Comment

Not at all. Marco had nothing whatsover to do with that.

Comment

Maybe we should have a sidebar of acts who are mislabeled as postpunk? e.g. Elvis Costello was too Beatles & Stones influenced to be postpunk; Ian Dury and the Blockheads were great but came out of noodly jazz-rock I would say. Undertones and Buzzcocks were very good melodic punk but not really experimental in terms of pushing beyond the punk template.

OTOH post-punk influenced other genres in allowing them to sing with British accents (Dury, Specials, Madness; not Costello) and maintain a pose of anti-establishment attitude that rejected the hippie and prog indulgences of the early 70s (but it's too sweeping to say they killed them off).
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-03-2019, 16:20.

Comment

Not at all. Marco had nothing whatsover to do with that.
                          Really?... I knew he was a later addition but thought he was on Cartrouble...memory not so good and appreciate that you would know.

Comment

He's on the remastered Cartrouble, and they re-recorded a lot of old songs and put them as B-sides. Adam went to hear Marco play when it was suggested that they work together, but Dirk was already done by then.

Comment

I do love Rema Rema, though. Very interesting band.

Comment

Did you make it to their LP Q&A launch type thing the other week at Rough Trade West?....Gary A, Max and Michael Allen were there...apparently someone in the audience said that Marco sent his love.

Comment

No, I didn't go, and the prospect of bumping into Mr Pirroni is not a happy one for me. :-) I've seen the Wolfgang Press around, and talked to GA a few times. At one gig (Simeone) there was just the artist's mum, me and a friend, a couple of randoms, a superfan who'd flown over from the US, and the Wolfgang Press there. And the vicar, doubling up as doorman and barman (it was in a church).

Comment

Definitely Japan, btw, Gero, definitely Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                      I bought the first CD reissue of Section 25's first record in a cutout bin in the early 1990s. I was elated to find that CD. Now it's been reissued again (well, I guess that was nearly a decade ago) with even more tracks. I might have to dive back in, although I hate buying the same releases over and over again when there are so many other CDs I don't own yet that I would like to buy.
                                      I bought a couple of the recent Durutti Column box set reissues on the revived Factory Benelux imprint, as much to send some money in Vini Reilly's direction as anything. They rely quite heavily on live recordings to pad them out, which is more completism than I need. James Nice, who runs FBN, was previously behind LTM who reissued lots of Factory and related stuff in the noughties. I haven't bought many of the recent ACR Mute reissues, already having most of the albums from original releases or previous LTM/FBN re-releases. The tracklist for their forthcoming singles and rarities box set has deliberately been chosen to avoid duplication of material from the albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                        (TANGENT) Why do people pay serious bunce to go and see a band play a 'DJ set', as in "The Other Two" (who I assume are still Stephen and Gillian from New Order)?
                                        In this case I don't think that anyone will go to the ACR do just to see The Other Two (although New Order do have some pretty hardcore fans) but their presence is a nice touch given the bands' joint history on Factory. I wouldn't be surprised if Bernard Sumner turns up in some capacity on the night.

I'm as prone as anyone to moan about ticket prices but it's a cracking bill for £25.

Shaun Ryder and Bez are the past masters of iffy looking but unblushingly priced DJ/personal appearance type events. You're shocked, I can tell.

Comment

It looks like a good line-up. I'm already nervous about venturing oop north in November, otherwise would seriously be tempted.

Also, just remembered I don't really like big gigs.

Comment

Thanks, yep, fair comment. I was juggling with Adam (as it were) - the Ants/z should certainly be included, pre-success.

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                            Not that it matters, but The Teardrop Explodes? Even Japan? Actually, timing wise, definitely Japan.
                                            I tend to think of the Teardrops - and Bunnymen, etc - as almost the next wave. (Some spoke of a 'new psychedelia', which I quite liked at the time.) But they were indeed contemporaneous to Joy Division and The Cure, etc, so maybe so. (Also the young U2, perhaps.)

Japan, I'd be less-inclined, personally - they were pretty much a punk-circumventing, New York Dolls-influenced affair at the start, and their 'moment' didn't really kick in until the New Romantics were holding court. But just my opinion. Great band, either way.

Comment

Also, just remembered I don't really like big gigs.
                                              It looks like the venue is a multi-storey café/bar/club/live room place. The only quoted capacity for the live room that I've been able to find is 250, which sounds low. The risk with that kind of set up is if the overall capacity is calculated for four rooms but everyone there wants to be in one of them for the main event, like an indoor version of the crush at festivals when an act booked into the third tent six months before have gone stratospheric in the meantime.

I did have tickets for the ACR Islington Assembly Hall show earlier in the month but then Giuda announced their 100 Club show on the same night so a rethink was called for.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                James Nice, who runs FBN, was previously behind LTM who reissued lots of Factory and related stuff in the noughties.
                                                Is he not still doing LTM?

I've spoken about them on OTF before but I recommend Motorama, a current and prolific Russian band who draw on things like Joy Division and The (Factory-era) Wake. A good balance of doomy and pop. They release stuff on the French label Talitres.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                                  Is he not still doing LTM?
                                                  The LTM website is still there but releases are now badged as Factory Benelux or Les Disques du Crepuscule. The websites are all interlinked and it's a change in marketing strategy rather than a sign of any great upheaval behind the scenes, I think. Beyond the usual financial stresses of keeping a small label afloat, that is.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X