Not Breathe-ing any more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Breathe-ing any more

Keith Flint of the Prodigy reportedly found dead at home, aged 49.

Beat me to it. Probably quite a good thing, as I was going to title the thread "I'm a firestarter"

Comment

I had "He got the poison, but not the remedy".

Bit of a shame this one - never quite got around to watching them live which by all accounts was an amazing experience.

Comment

As a teenager, I played all of the albums until they were a scratched up mess. They were my gateway drug to everything electronica / dance / acid house / drumnbass / jungle / you name it.

He brought an incredible energy to the whole thing. Liam Howlett would never have made it without him, and vice versa.

Comment

The Prodigy were an incredible live act, at least when I saw them - and that was firstly in about 1995 at the Town & Country Club, and then much later, 2009 at Wembley Arena. A big difference in the size of venue, but the same energy and connection with the crowd.

Flint played an absolutely pivotal role each time. RIP.

Comment

One of the great pop stars of the '90s, an instantly recognisable and very charismatic frontman.

Comment

Given that he likely took his own life, I might've gone easier on the puns...but, okay, if we're doing it then I'll pitch 'end of the Flint age'.

Great, incendiary front man and a more-than-distinctive face/voice from the last era in pop about which I feel any nostalgia whatsoever. Firestarter remains one the great singles of the nineties - and an astonishing track to make UK number one. Why the f*ck can't that happen now?

RIP.

Comment

Keith Flint Top 10

1. Firestarter
                2. Breathe

Comment

I would have gone wth Death Of The Prodigy Dancer, if we're talking thread titles. The main feeling is just how tragic this case is, though, as Jah Wobble reminds us. For me, their good work was already over by their debut album, which had a bit of a revue feel. But those early singles sold hundreds of thousands, while Keith Flint was one of the dancers, were a complete game changer.

Comment

"Hard as Flint"?

RIP.

Comment

Very sad news. Have been playing "Breathe" a lot DJing and it always goes down well (scaring the crap out of me by making people dance on occasion). Loved "Fat of the Land" (like most others, I suppose) and really enjoyed them live the couple of times I saw them - the best being supporting Oasis and the Manics at Knebworth, I think.

There was a tribute from, I think, the Chemical Brothers saying how original he is which is very sweet but incorrect as his schtick was very John Lydon but it worked well for them getting out of the acid house era and, of course, added much to the rather anonymous Howlett. Haven't kept up with them in the last decade or possibly two but they certainly seemed to be enjoying a resurgence.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sanglesey/status/1102541475538239488

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                          Haven't kept up with them in the last decade or possibly two but they certainly seemed to be enjoying a resurgence.
                          The Prodigy have an album, No Tourists, on current release. It was their sixth in a row to top the charts.

Comment

No Good (Stop the Dance)

Comment

I was in the "I prefer their earlier work" camp publically, but had to secretly admit that the brief Flint-as-frontman era featured some absolutely banging tunes, and good on them/him for finding a formula for huge sales and big arena concerts, and for creating a brief moral panic.

Saw them live at Glastonbury in 1997, they had some equipment faults but certainly put on a good show, although I recall Maxim was more of the star that night.

Anyway, RIP

Comment

Gorramit. Didn't thnk of "Curl My Toes Up" quickly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                  I was in the "I prefer their earlier work" camp publically, but had to secretly admit that the brief Flint-as-frontman era featured some absolutely banging tunes, and good on them/him for finding a formula for huge sales and big arena concerts, and for creating a brief moral panic.
                                  Indeed. I don't mind a winning formula if it's as b*ll*cksy as that was.

That said, I had reservations about Smack My Bitch Up and found the 'we say/do what the f*ck we want' response to its criticism a bit lame. Interesting that Liam Howlett was quick to disown Flint's Baby's Got a Temper (the rather poor tune about rohypnol), yet defended SMBU to the hilt.

Comment

Gorramit. Didn't thnk of "Curl My Toes Up" quickly enough.
                                    Depending on how dark is considered appropriate. I had thought of "String Myself Up" sung to the same tune. Would it be more offensive than the original title of that song? Probably depends on whether you personally have known victims of either or both acts (intimate partner violence and suicide by hanging).

Plus, as always context: offensive joke parodying offensive song.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-03-2019, 18:19.

Comment

Well, as someone who falls into one of those categories, I wouldn't be offended. I don't ever claim to speak for others in the same situation.

Comment

Working...
                                      X