"We hope you like our new direction …"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
    Status Quo and The Cult were the first that sprung to my mind but, also, The Shamen (from indie-crusty types to dance act)...
    The Shamen were never 'crusty' types - they started out as psychedelic Syd Barrett/Byrds-disciples (see 1987 debut, Drop) before discovering MDMA. But absolutely they fit here.

As do Japan, and as do The Cult, for whom one can probably go back way earlier than Electric (as suggested by the Snake): as (Southern) Death Cult*, they were Goth/indie darlings before embracing Led Zeppelin around the time of 1985's Love album.

'With dramatic upturn in sales', in all cases.

(*This is to assume that we can accept a lineage between the three Astbury-led bands. Had he not wished us to do so, then I suspect he'd have chosen more distinct names for them. Or something.)

Comment

The Stranglers - from pub-rock also-rans via a new-wave commercial zenith to Euro-muso sophistication and finally post-Cornwell anonymity.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - from feedback-drenched sixties-pop-obsessed post-punkers (1984) to brooding, country-tinged Americana types ten years later - and beyond.

Kylie - from innocent SAW-driven soap starlet via sparsely-clad pop siren to introspective songstress and latterly respected grand-dame of dance-pop. 'And beyond'.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Kylie - from innocent SAW-driven soap starlet via sparsely-clad pop siren to introspective songstress and latterly respected grand-dame of dance-pop. 'And beyond'.
        I would have thought Kylie was an "obvious" that you weren't allowed to mentioned (not my rules).

(Southern) (Death) (The) Cult would be another "obvious". But, as I said, it's not my playing field.

Comment

Well, until somebody publishes a definitive list, that's going to prove a tough call.

Comment

Am I allowed Depeche Mode?

Comment

Floor's yours - argue your case...

Comment

Dr Hook from Satire to MOR

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  Am I allowed Depeche Mode?
                  They had crossed my mind.

Comment

The Soup Dragons from off-world childrens' entertainers to winsome indie types to hard rock gods to a one band world party to who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                      My question is, which other bands, disregarding the obvious … Zeitgeist?
                      Sorry, by "obvious" I meant artists whose raison d'être was to change genres (Beatles, Bowie …).

Comment

Is Scott Walker another one that's too obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                          The Soup Dragons from off-world childrens' entertainers to winsome indie types to hard rock gods to a one band world party to who knows?
                          Don't be ridiculous. There was always a dance element to their music.

Comment

Elvis Presley?

Comment

XTC: post-punk, pop, then onto something much more interesting.

Comment

Something a bit more recent... the bands that swerved towards "Spotify Pop" once the charts started to be dominated by Band X ft Rapper/EDM Duo Y. Examples that come to mind include Maroon 5 and, allegedly fatally, Linkin Park.

Comment

Everything but the girl went from lounge jazz to jangly Smiths influenced guitar pop to full orchestral with brass and strings in their first three albums before discovering electronica in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Sorry, by "obvious" I meant artists whose raison d'être was to change genres (Beatles, Bowie …).
                                    So I can have Slade then?

Comment

Demis Roussos - from prog rock with Aphrodite's Child to housewives favourite

Comment

Fleetwood Mac (an 'obvious' perhaps, although changing horses was never their raison d'être) - from British proto-blues rockers to globe-conquering sun-kissed LA pop sophisticates. With about as massive an upturn in sales as is imaginable. (Although they weren't doing too badly before.)

Yes - from shrill, prog top-tablers to shrill, US stadium-sized chart-toppers.

Psychedelic Furs - from distinctive post-punk mavericks to less-distinctive AOR-friendly radio favourites.

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                        Dr Hook from Satire to MOR
                                        See also: Spandau Ballet

Comment

Neil Young? From almost folkier acoustic stuff to the boring electric almost heavy metal garbage with endless guitar solos.

Comment

Lionel Richie (in the Commodores) started off quite funky, before settling on easy-listening ballads. By the time he was solo in the 80s he was doing dancey pop.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                              Neil Young? From almost folkier acoustic stuff to the boring electric almost heavy metal garbage with endless guitar solos.
                                              NY has moved between folk/country and rock throughout his career. He began doing garage-ish pop in Winnipeg and Toronto, moved to LA to join Steve Stills in Buffalo Springfield, then recorded several acoustic albums (which made his name as a solo artist). Simultaneously, however, he was jamming with Crazy Horse on a regular basis, and they went on to become his back-up band. He still uses the same amplifier he had in 1965 BTW. It has it's own techie and an apparatus that enables it to follow him around the stage. It creates just the right quality of distortion, so he says.

Comment

Lesley Rankine - from high-octane punk noise (Silverfish) via industrial (Pigface) to introspective trippy electronica (Ruby).

(Just been listening to the latter, that's why.)

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

NY has moved between folk/country and rock throughout his career. He began doing garage-ish pop in Winnipeg and Toronto, moved to LA to join Steve Stills in Buffalo Springfield, then recorded several acoustic albums (which made his name as a solo artist). Simultaneously, however, he was jamming with Crazy Horse on a regular basis, and they went on to become his back-up band. He still uses the same amplifier he had in 1965 BTW. It has it's own techie and an apparatus that enables it to follow him around the stage. It creates just the right quality of distortion, so he says.
                                                  My brother saw him in concert last year. Big disappointment. He said it was like a live jam session. 15 minute solos. NY with his back to the crowd jamming with the other musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                    Lesley Rankine - from high-octane punk noise (Silverfish) via industrial (Pigface) to introspective trippy electronica (Ruby).

(Just been listening to the latter, that's why.)
                                                    Previous to Silverfish, she was in a garage-punk band called Thee Grizzeldas (with White Stripes producer Liam Watson) who covered "Gloria" but called it "Goretex" and supported my first band. So she certainly went uphill from there.

However, that isn't really the same thing, is it, as she went changed bands and went solo.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X