No announcement yet.

Guitar shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure this outs me as a (psychically) old man who is not very rock n' roll at all, but the thing that always bothered me about Vs is... it looks like a pain in the bollocks to play them sitting down.

Comment

Rest it on your leg instead, then.

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
        I'm sure this outs me as a (psychically) old man who is not very rock n' roll at all, but the thing that always bothered me about Vs is... it looks like a pain in the bollocks to play them sitting down.
        As any fule know, you attach velcro to your Flying V and to your thigh. Problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
          Not really, the bottom horn goes between your legs which actually forces the neck up a bit making it a more ideal position than the more horizontal position that you get sitting down with other guitars. I doubt Ted McCarty was thinking of this when he designed it. This atrocity, on the other hand, must be dreadful to sit down (or stand up with).

Comment

My daughter is bothering me for a guitar, and whilst I vicariously approve, I am worried she won't stick with it.

Given her age, a 3/4 guitar seems a good idea and I checked it out. I am amazed at the amount of them there are, from your bog standard Strats (Squier or otherwise) to mini Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature shredding machines to small versions of the recently featured Flying V. She saw a pink Strat and liked it, but then saw a Torino Red one and has basically said that's the one for her. Personally, I would have had the pink one but I'm now in my 40s and entirety comfortable with with something teenage me would have died rather than been seen playing.

I didn't start playing bass until I was 13 so I was properly into it, does anyone have any tips to get her going? I am a little wary of buying a guitar online but I honestly haven't been inside a music shop for many a moon.

Comment

Buying online isn't too bad nowadays, assuming you use a supplier that checks and sets up the guitar before shipping (Sweetwater, Thomann and the like). Plus they do free returns.

Something like a 3/4 Bullet Squier Strat sounds a good option. Thomann's Harley Benton guitars are also great for the price (and cheaper than Squiers)..

Comment

At least with buying online I won't be laughed at behind my back by teenagers mooching around and lusting over the expensive guitars.
                ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                  I didn't start playing bass until I was 13 so I was properly into it, does anyone have any tips to get her going? I am a little wary of buying a guitar online but I honestly haven't been inside a music shop for many a moon.
                  Personally speaking, I think I'd be worried by someone just saying 'I want to learn guitar' with no other context. Are there any guitar players she likes and wants to emulate? Or does she want to play songs by particular artists? If the answer to either is yes, then her motivations are there already. And, of course, there's tons of tutorials and exercises on YouTube.

Ironically, at a time when rock music and electric guitars are in something of a decline, there's never been a better time to play guitar.

Comment

So returning to the Les Paul Jr doublecut clone, it's been amazing value for the money and very playable. However, the pickup, while pretty good, didn't really deliver that snarly P90 tone I had in my head. However, something like a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 would set me back nearly €200 (the same cost as the guitar).

So I then get an eBay alert that someone in California was selling this pickup for €100 including postage. Except that shipping time would be two months. I could, of course, pay €40 for priority shipping. But I wasn't in a hurry and took the former option. And it arrived in three weeks in the end.

So Stefan at the local guitar shop just phoned and said he'd installed it. And that it sounded great. Of course, he hasn't heard me play it

Comment

Working...
                    X