Guitar shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Didn't get a guitar or anything but did get a new wireless system which, on last night's gig's going, works brilliantly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getaria-Wir...33002864&psc=1

Comment

I'd really like one of these, but I don't need one and my girlfriend will kill me. They're only €200 though.

Comment

It’s not a guitar, but I got a Roli Lumi on Kickstarter. It’s really good so far. I’ve improved already.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
            I'd really like one of these, but I don't need one and my girlfriend will kill me. They're only €200 though.

What make is that, Stumpy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

What make is that, Stumpy?
              Harley Benton. I think they're only sold via the Thomann website.

Obviously it's a copy of a Les Paul Jr doublecut. But they're well-reviewed online.

Comment

Ah, our guitarist has a leftie version of a similar made by Eastwood Guitars but I knew it wasn't that.

Comment

While we're on the subject, I dug out my first electric guitar from the cellar. It's an Ibanez Studio 50 from 1979 (I bought it second-hand in 1985). Not sure why I stopped playing it--it's got a great neck and easy access to the 24th fret (not that I ever go there). Sounds similar to a Gibson SG I'm told. I'm debating whether to refinish it.

Comment

Refinishing that would be a crime. It looks fantastic as it is,

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                      Refinishing that would be a crime. It looks fantastic as it is,
                      Well, the reason was that--and it's not obvious from the photo--there's a lot of chips on the body, along with some ad hoc repair jobs (possibly involving superglue). The previous owner clearly used it as a working guitar.

Then again, some people call this relicing and spend time intentionally trashing perfectly good guitars.

Comment

I'm sure Ad Hoc is a man of many talents, but guitar repair obviously isn't one of them.

Comment

Well, the reason was that--and it's not obvious from the photo--there's a lot of chips on the body, along with some ad hoc repair jobs (possibly involving superglue). The previous owner clearly used it as a working guitar.

Then again, some people call this relicing and spend time intentionally trashing perfectly good guitars.
                          Earned dings and scrapes are cool. I'd leave it as is but then again it's not my guitar.

Comment

My new axe. Gretsch Streamliner with P90 pickups and Bigsby tremolo. Not as expensive as you might think.

Comment

Very, very cool. Despite my completely irrational dislike of first-fret markers.
                              Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 18-02-2020, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                Don't know how many guitarists are on here but thought it might be worth asking. I've played guitar ineffectually for years on a cheap and battered Mexican Telecaster …
                                To return to the OP, are you playing a Baja Telecaster? I ask, because I own one (from 2010) and it has genuinely one of the best necks I've played. Pickups are good too, as is the four-way switch.

The Bajas are quite highly regarded--several players prefer them over (new) US Telecasters. Although I wouldn't say they were cheap.

Comment

I'm in the process of making my own Telecaster copy from a kit and I think I've fucked up royally on the electronics (I'm not good at soldering) and the bridge is way out on the guide holes. I've been looking for bits and pieces online to complete the job, but it's probably cheaper to buy an actual guitar to take bits off it.

Comment

My new axe. Gretsch Streamliner with P90 pickups and Bigsby tremolo. Not as expensive as you might think.

Remarkably ordered bookshelves. Ours literally bulge books.

Comment

He's living in Germany; they come round to check on your bookshelves there...

Comment

The books (and shelves) belong to Fräulein Pepys. You may draw your own conclusions.

Comment

To return to the OP, are you playing a Baja Telecaster? I ask, because I own one (from 2010) and it has genuinely one of the best necks I've played. Pickups are good too, as is the four-way switch.

The Bajas are quite highly regarded--several players prefer them over (new) US Telecasters. Although I wouldn't say they were cheap.
                                          Oh no, nothing so high-end. A 1996 Mexican tele, cost just over £100 then. Love it though.

Comment

That’s what I bought last year but with the standard Broadtron pick ups (and silver bigsby).

Comment

Just wanted to add that I really like these P-90 pickups--the Gretsch was the first guitar I've played with them. Humbuckers sound a bit muddy by comparison. If you turn up the gain for the bridge pickup, you can get quite a trebly, snarly sound, that's much fuller than a Fender single-coil (which I also like).

I'm told hum is an issue with P-90s, but it's not been an issue in my box room.

Comment

Oooh nice one.

I just bought one of these. Plays and sounds like a dream. The V-Stoptail is not everyone’s cup of tea, but I don’t mind it.

Comment

I did buy the Les Paul Jr clone in the end, albeit in Pelham Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Posty Webber View Post

I just bought one of these. Plays and sounds like a dream. The V-Stoptail is not everyone’s cup of tea, but I don’t mind it.

Even though Gretsch have switched production of their cheaper guitars abroad, the quality control is really very good.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X