Mark Hollis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Hollis

No official confirmation yet, but The The's twitter account said that Mark Hollis of Talk Talk has passed away.

It's a weird feeling for me, last week I decided to finally listen to their critically acclaimed albums and really enjoyed what I heard, now I see this.

There's quite a lot on twitter now.
    'Spirit Of Eden', an amazing album.
    RIP

Comment

Shit. A very underrated and under played band and artist. RIP Mark.

Comment

Fucking hell.

​​​​​​Spirit Of Eden has been my favourite album for the best part of three decades, and I don't see that changing.

​​​(there's an X11 team of that name)

I thoroughly admire his decision to fuck off out of it in his early forties when he couldn't be arsed with all the bullshit of his chosen career any more. He spent the last twenty years away from it all. Lord knows what he's been up to, what he's been facing into, in those years. I hope, and imagine, he was happier.

Comment

Such a shame

Comment

A very sad day. His lone solo album is an absolute touchstone for so many, and one of the most extraordinary departures from 'the main project' you could ever hear

Comment

Natural History was the first cd I ever bought. (I was late to CDs.)
              So many great songs and such a distinct voice both lyrically and literally.

Comment

RIP. A fine and unique talent that grew as he moved away from commercial status.

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                Such a shame
                Indeed.

Comment

Terrible. A committed individual in every way. He stopped touring because he couldn't do that and be a Dad. Then jacked the whole thing in. Good on him.

RIP indeed. It was His Life.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                    No official confirmation yet, but The The's twitter account said that Mark Hollis of Talk Talk has passed away.
                    No word yet from Duran Duran or Mister Mister...

Incredible talent and amazing voice. It's My Life has one of the most wonderful bass lines ever. It's almost all I can hear when I listen.

Comment

Knew all the big hits, but had never listened to Spirit of Eden until today. Stunning.

Comment

Rolling Stone's report is pretty good

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...s-dead-800033/

I got into 'Spirit of Eden' after Radmac played the closing track a few years ago on their nighttime Radio 2 show and I would expect a 6 Music tribute to be in the works, and certainly a Radmac tribute on Saturday.

More recently, the album was my gateway into Durutti Column, via a "if you loved this, you'll like this" flag, and that gateway has been life-changing for me.

It seems his illness was a short one so hopefully that was a merciful thing as opposed to a long and drawn out illness.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-02-2019, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

No word yet from Duran Duran or Mister Mister...

Incredible talent and amazing voice. It's My Life has one of the most wonderful bass lines ever. It's almost all I can hear when I listen.
                          Simon le Bon has honoured him, I haven't checked the others' accounts.

A very sad loss.

Comment

Not heard yet from contemporaries Mighty Mighty or Bourgie Bourgie, or from current acts Everything Everything or Django Django.

Mr Mister can f*** right off.

Comment

His 1998 solo album, which I've just heard for the first time, is an incredible piece. Could be Messiaen mixed with Eric Dolphy. Definitely bleak:

Feel my skin, Lord
                              Feel my luck tumbling down
                              Left no life, no more
                              Turn my seasons turn
                              Lived in much younger times
                              Left no life, no more
                              For me to shine

Comment

I just heard Spirit of Eden for the first time last weekend. Fuck me I wish I'd heard that twenty five years back. The transcendence I was vainly trying to get from the tired drugs n jeezus tropes of Spiritualized, Screamadelica.

Comment

Astral Weeks does something similar to me, but this feels even more precious, fragile.

Comment

"In A Silent Way" by Miles Davis might be a parallel, if you substitute his trumpet for the Hollis vocal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKt7DTKyJU

Comment

Count me among those hearing SoE properly for the first time. Wowser.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        "In A Silent Way" by Miles Davis might be a parallel, if you substitute his trumpet for the Hollis vocal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKt7DTKyJU
                                        Yeah that is beautiful. I never could get into Bitches Brew, but In a Silent Way is just gorgeous.

Comment

This track from Laughing Stock is very moving, an incredible vocal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0xR...bgaNw5&index=5

Lifted up
                                          Reflective in returning love you sing
                                          Errant days filled me
                                          Fed me illusion's gate
                                          In temperate stream
                                          Welled up within me
                                          A hunger uncurbed by nature's calling
                                          Seven sacraments to song
                                          Versed in Christ
                                          Should strength desert me
                                          They'll come
                                          They come
                                          Lifted up
                                          Reflected in returning love you sing
                                          Heaven waits
                                          Someday Christendom may come
                                          Westward
                                          Evening sun recedent
                                          Set my resting vow
                                          Hold in open heart

Comment

I'm actually angry now hearing how much that miserable sanctions busting misogynist moany faced Centrist prick T(h)om Yorke and his posh mates ripped off from Talk Talk and got called pioneers for. Their entire template late 90s on is the last two Talk Talk lps and fuckin Squarepusher meets the Pink Floyd Uptown.
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 08-03-2019, 00:09.

Comment

Had no idea they were so good live

Comment

Working...
                                              X