X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slits 'Heard Through Grapevine' by way of Gladys Knight & Marvin Gaye

Marilyn Manson 'Tainted Love' filtered through Gloria Jones & Soft Cell

Comment

The Slits completely re-worked Grapevine, though, did they not?

Comment

Don't Stop Believin' was on the radio this morning. It reminded me of a few years ago when just about every TV show had it playing at some point. I think the X Factor contestants released a version, following on the heels of the Glee cast, and sounding very much like the Glee version.

I'd nominate All Along the Watchtower - recorded live by U2 and included on Rattle and Hum. They even used Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner as the intro to it. Hendrix of course covered it after Bob Dylan had released it three years earlier. .

Comment

Oh yes, one of Bono's more bombastic moments that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            The Slits completely re-worked Grapevine, though, did they not?
            They did and it was all the better for it.

Comment

When you cover a famous song that has been perfectly arranged and performed, your only true option is to rework it. Otherwise you're just Michael Bolton.

Comment

Nine Simone is often the middle person in such covers:

Lilac Wine - Jeff Buckley covering Simone covering Eartha Kitt covering Hope Foye's stage version written by James Shelton

Wild Is The Wind - David Bowie covering Nina Simone covering Johnny Mathis

House Of The Rising Sun - Animals covering Johnny Handle (Newcastle folk singer) covering Woody Guthrie but perhaps also inspired by Nina Simone's 1962 version

Comment

Eric Burdon has credited the versions by Johnny Handle as well as by folk singer Josh White as having influenced The Animals' arrangement.

Comment

Also Coil's version of Tainted Love takes the Soft Cell version as the jumping off point. Marc Almond even appears in the video

Comment

Whiskey in the Jar. Metallica covering Thin Lizzy covering The Highwaymen covering The Dubliners covering a trad standard.

Although we don't know if Lizzy was covering the The Highwaymen or The Dubliners directly. More likely The Dubliners, for obvious reaons.

Metallica certainly lifted all the riffs that Thin Lizzy introduced.

Comment

So many deluded X Factor contestants offer up "Valerie by Amy Winehouse" that Simon Cowell, to grudgingly give him credit, corrects them by mentioning The Zutons.

Comment

Pretty much every cover of 'Hurt' is of the Johnny Cash version rather than the Nine Inch Nails original.

Comment

Mariah Carey's version of Without You is a cover of Harry NIlsson's version, rather than Badfinger's.

There's a page 1? Bloody hell.

And I don't remember starting this thread. Looks like the Alzheimer's is kicking in.
                            Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 20-02-2020, 14:35.

Comment

...as both G-man and I mentioned on the previous page.

Comment

Does Bill Oddie's version of Ilkley Moor Baht 'At in the style of Joe Cocker's cover of With a Little Help From My Friends count? And if it does, has it already been mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                  There's a page 1? Bloody hell.

And I don't remember starting this thread. Looks like the Alzheimer's is kicking in.
                                  What's throwing you might be the fact that you started it exactly a year ago today.

Comment

My band used to cover the Kingsmen's version, fo sho. The Wild Thing was kinda in between the Troggs and the Hendrix.

Comment

The Fall's version of War was a cover of a faulty memory of the original:

Tim Mitgett: Is that a Henry Cow cover ['War"] on Middle Class Revolt?Are you actually a fan of that group or just that particular cut?
                                      MES: Well, that's not really Henry Cow, it's Slapp Happy. No, I didn't like a lot of that stuff, actually...
                                      TM: I was kind of surprised that it was on there
                                      MES: Yeah, I find most of it very boring, though the Slapp Happy bits of it were good. I decided we should do it because it fit in with *Free Range* [single released dur-ng Operation Desert Storm] and stuff like that, what we'd been doing. But I went to get the Slapp Happy LP out, and I'd lost it; I hadn't really played it for about eight years. So, all I had were the Iyrics on the back, and I had to explain it to the group, you know? from memory.
                                      TM: I suppose that can sometimes be more fruitful than picking it out note-for-note. . .
                                      MES: Well, the funny thing was that I found the record again, and it's a completely different bloody song. [laughs] Same Iyrics, you know, but the arrangement is completely different, not even the same notes. It's funny what you think things sound like.
                                      TM: Well, see, now you can put your name on it and get a piece of the publishing.
                                      MES: [Laughs] No, no, I don't believe in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                        Does Bill Oddie's version of Ilkley Moor Baht 'At in the style of Joe Cocker's cover of With a Little Help From My Friends count? And if it does, has it already been mentioned?
                                        I remember watching that on the wonderful Broaden Your Mind, and then reading a letter complaining about it in the following week's Radio Times...

Comment

Excellent. I knew I'd seen it, but couldn't remember where.

Comment

Sadly nothing remains of Broaden Your Mind, but you'll probably remember the follow-up: The Goodies...

Comment

Over The Rainbow is now often covered in the style of Israel Kamakawio'ole's ukele version rather than Judy Garland's non-ukelele one.

Comment

And very annoying they are too.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  Don't Stop Believin' was on the radio this morning. It reminded me of a few years ago when just about every TV show had it playing at some point. I think the X Factor contestants released a version, following on the heels of the Glee cast, and sounding very much like the Glee version.

I'd nominate All Along the Watchtower - recorded live by U2 and included on Rattle and Hum. They even used Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner as the intro to it. Hendrix of course covered it after Bob Dylan had released it three years earlier. .
                                                  XTC also did a version of it on their debut album. Slowed down a tad from their usual quirky jerky style but recognisably twitchy XTC all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                    The Fall's version of War was a cover of a faulty memory of the original:

Tim Mitgett: Is that a Henry Cow cover ['War"] on Middle Class Revolt?Are you actually a fan of that group or just that particular cut?
                                                    MES: Well, that's not really Henry Cow, it's Slapp Happy. No, I didn't like a lot of that stuff, actually...
                                                    TM: I was kind of surprised that it was on there
                                                    MES: Yeah, I find most of it very boring, though the Slapp Happy bits of it were good. I decided we should do it because it fit in with *Free Range* [single released dur-ng Operation Desert Storm] and stuff like that, what we'd been doing. But I went to get the Slapp Happy LP out, and I'd lost it; I hadn't really played it for about eight years. So, all I had were the Iyrics on the back, and I had to explain it to the group, you know? from memory.
                                                    TM: I suppose that can sometimes be more fruitful than picking it out note-for-note. . .
                                                    MES: Well, the funny thing was that I found the record again, and it's a completely different bloody song. [laughs] Same Iyrics, you know, but the arrangement is completely different, not even the same notes. It's funny what you think things sound like.
                                                    TM: Well, see, now you can put your name on it and get a piece of the publishing.
                                                    MES: [Laughs] No, no, I don't believe in that.
                                                    Fall also did Ghost In House after R Dean Taylor & B.E.F ft Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
                                                    X