No announcement yet.

The Number one single when you were 14 defines your life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every Fucking Loser Fucking Wins by Nick Fucking Berry.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      "I'm Not In Love". Bloody hell! I'd better keep that quiet from the wife.
      I've just checked the wife's. It's "Don't You Want Me".

This is getting creepy!

Comment

14th birthday? 'Mississippi' by Pussycat.

Comment

"Going Underground". Funny enough, I took the metro in Panama City just a few weeks ago. Uncanny.

And in Germany: Goombay Dance Band's "Sun Of Jamaica". And I flew above the vicinity of Jamaica just a few weeks ago. This really works.

Comment

Adamski, Killer. I wouldn't hurt a fly....

Comment

Perfect for me; Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc. All together now; "I don't like cricket oh no, I love it"

Comment

Everything I Own by Ken Boothe. The last day of its 3 weeks as UK number 1.

I quite like it, but as a story of lost love it doesn’t really connect to me or my life.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                  A Different Corner, and I do turn lots of different corners every day!
                  Same here, and it is one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite artists, although I don't remember hearing or liking it at the time, and if pressed would have dated it a good few years later than 1986.

US no.1 was Prince "Kiss", also one of my favourite songs by a favourite artist.

Luckily I was born a couple of weeks too early for Falco - Rock Me Amadeus, which was number 1 in both countries after those two beauties.

Comment

The Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh .

There's no nanny here so all's good .

Comment

UK: The Police "Don't Stand So Close To Me".

USA: Queen "Another One Bites the Dust".

Reasonably apt.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        It's a wonder that you are still alive
                        You and me both, albeit probably for different reasons.

Comment

Mull of Kintyre. Everyone loves that, right?

Comment

This version, yes.

Comment

'Hot Love' by T Rex. There goes your theory.

Comment

Wannabe in the UK, Macarena in the US.

No wonder my life is an endless collage of pain, disappointment, irritation and despair. And earworms that make me want to rip my fucking ears off.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                  Careless Whisper in the UK. To this day I maintain my hair in an elegantly layered and highlighted 'Lady Di' style.
                                  That was number one when I was born.

As for when I was 14 - the new number 1 was "If You Tolerate This..." by Manic Street Preachers.

In the US the number 1 on my 14th birthday was "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith.
                                  Last edited by Simon G; 20-02-2019, 09:35. Reason: EDIT - US Number 1 added

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

That was number one when I was born.

As for when I was 14 - the new number 1 was "If You Tolerate This..." by Manic Street Preachers.

Comment

UK - Candle in the Wind 1997 by Elton John
                                      US - Honey by Mariah Carey

Haven't knowingly heard one, wish I hadn't heard the other

Comment

Red Red Wine. I hate the stuff and drinking too much turns me into a Maniac. Which happened to be the US Number One.

Comment

UK: Hangin Tough by New Kids on the Block. Hanging tough aint me and I aint a new kid on the block, but I'm guess I'm unfashionable, out of date and rather annoying.
                                          US: it gets worse.... How Am I Supposed To Live Without You by Michael Bolton. I guess I can't live without me, but I've never been to Bolton.

Comment

Leo Sayer “When I need you”

But since I was living in Germany at the time, let’s see what they offer:
                                            Smokie “Living Next Door to Alice”

But really our chart consumption was usually Dutch tv and we were livin’ next door to Roermond:
                                            Julie Covington “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina”

well I do usually support them in World Cups...

Comment

Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex. Nope.

Coincidentally, I learned in my research for my book that former Bury (and Preston, and Blackpool, and Shrewsbury, and Tranmere) defender Michael Jackson's nickname amongst the players whilst with the Shakers was Cotton Eye Joe, because they said he always looked scruffy.

Comment

Crying by Don McLean. I got misty watching the Barnsley 'Daydream Believers' documentary last month.

In the US it was Coming Up by Paul McCartney. Barnsley were promoted the following season.

So yeah, bang on accurate.

Comment

Britain: I love to love... (Tina Charles). Dance away that heartache, bitch

America: December 1963 (Four Seasons)

Ireland: Dreaming my dreams (Marianne Faithfull)

Germany: Mississippi (Pussycat)
                                                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 20-02-2019, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                                    Everything I Own by Ken Boothe. The last day of its 3 weeks as UK number 1.
                                                    By my reckoning, you share a birthday with my sister. (She's one year older, however.)

As you were.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X