Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Wow, that's fantastic.

That's the way to spread your name and build your fanbase though.
    They've said on documentaries that they couldn't get much airplay, so they just played live. One woman, [Donna Halper...looked it up], in Cleveland started playing the shit out of them, and that's what finally broke them in the U.S.

Comment

First - Depeche Mode (1993). Birmingham NEC.
      Last - Idles (March 2019). Ceremony Brooklyn. 100 max capacity - it was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
        First - Depeche Mode (1993). Birmingham NEC.
        Last - Idles (March 2019). Ceremony Brooklyn. 100 max capacity - it was awesome.
        That's not easily done.

Comment

Welp. Normally I spend the first few months of the year writing the last year. This is a new, interesting alternative.

Comment

First. The Stranglers at Leicester De Mont in 77 or 78.
            Last. Half Man Half Biscuit at Fibbers in York a couple of weeks ago.

Tracks. 5 minutes and Swerving the Checkatrade.

Comment

See if you can guess who first gig was...

Obviously The Cure, The Prayer Tour Wembley Arena Saturday July 22nd 1989.

Most recent gig Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra, The O2, October 2018.

Songs: A Strange Day, Livin' Thing.

Comment

10cc-Newcastle City Hall June 1977
                PiL-Hardwick Hall Aug 2018

Songs-Good Morning Judge Albatross

Comment

OK, because I don't know how long the Hawkwind track(s) would be, I'm topping off Vol. 2 of the OTF Firsts and Lasts. Disc 2 is shorter by one track so I'm adding a bonus track from the group I saw play live the gig before the last gig I went to.

Vol 2, Disc 1 - the Firsts
                  The Isley Brothers – Twist and Shout
                  The Who – I Can See for Miles
                  Aerosmith – Rats in the Cellar
                  Iron Maiden – Holy Smoke
                  The Damned – New Rose
                  Echo & the Bunnymen – Read it in Books
                  Paul McCartney – Temporary Secretary
                  Marillion – Market Square Heroes
                  Hawkwind - Assault and Battery / The Golden Void
                  Diana Ross – I’m Coming Out
                  The Stranglers – 5 Minutes
                  The Cure – A Strange Day
                  10cc – Good Morning Judge

Vol 2, Disc 2 - the Lasts
                  Cassandra Wilson – You Gotta Move
                  The Fall – New Puritan
                  UK Subs – I Live in a Car
                  U2 - One
                  The Joy Formidable - Whirring
                  Ian Prowse – Raid the Palace
                  Public Service Broadcasting – Spitfire
                  Teenage Fanclub – Gene Clark
                  FFS – So Desu Ne
                  Half Man, Half Biscuit, - Swerving the Checkatrade
                  Jeff Lynne’s Electric Light Orchestra – Livin’ Thing
                  Public Image Limited - Albatross
                  Bonus track: Dr Teeth & the Electric Mayhem - Can You Picture That?

Anyone who hasn't selected tracks yet is welcome to contribute to volume 3

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                    First: probably some mediocre punks at the 'Speakeasy' in Belfast University, 1978. I like to think it was a proto-U2, with Bonehead and Hedge finishing each song well before the rhythm section

Last: Jon's mate's covers band at the Old Bank, Stourbridge

You won't be surprised to know I don't fully remember all of that gig.

Anyway, my first was The Ramones at Liverpool University 1987.

My last was The Young 'Uns at the Southbank Centre last Saturday.

32 years apart but I went to both of these gigs with the same friend.

Comment

I asked a couple of friends this question on Friday, for first gig, one was the Wolfe Tones and the other was Gary Glitter, I can't see Sara Cox playing either of them!

Comment

Altered Images, Exeter Uni, about 1982.
                        Idles, Rock City, Nov 2018.

Insects
                        Divide and Conquer.

Can't see R2 playing that.

Comment

First: Bon Jovi, The Point, Dublin, Jan 1988, track Dead or Alive. (Pretty naff, I grant you, but for my 12th birthday ON A SCHOOL NIGHT, it was pretty awesome at the time)
                          Last: I dunno, but it not recent. Since having kids time and money are rarer commodities. Music was always way behind sport and travel for me and Mrs D, now it's behind sport and family stuff. The last 'proper' concert I bought tickets for might be as far back as REM in Marley Park in 2003 or 2004, (track Losing My Religion). The 8-year-old is mad into music, so we're on the lookout for a suitable gig

Comment

First: The Men They Couldn't Hang, Teesside Poly, Freshers' Week 1988
                            Most recent: Neneh Cherry, The Roundhouse, Camden, Feb 14th 2019

Songs
                            TMTCH: I didn't know anything about the band and only went cos it was free but it was bloody great, I can remember dancing on a chair waving a pint around. 'The Colours', I guess - their best-known song (?) and it was on their 1988 album.
                            Neneh Cherry: I really like 'Blank Project', the title track from her 2014 album, and she did a great version at the gig.

Comment

I work with Stefan from TMTCH and showed him this which pleased him no end.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                I work with Stefan from TMTCH and showed him this which pleased him no end.
                                Presumably Stefan knows TMTCH get name checked in Bobcaygeon, one of the most popular songs by the Tragically Hip? About a gig in Toronto?

Comment

TMTCH's best-known song must surely be Green Fields of France, no?

Comment

I only know The Colours because the video got a play on The Chart Show (at least I think it was the Chart Show). I don't remember hearing any of their other songs elsewhere.

Comment

Both Green Fields of France (1984) and Ironmasters (1985) made John Peel's Festive Fifty - not that that was going to make them household names or owt. However, I think the former is better-known because it's a standard anyway (Eric Bogle's No Man's Land): many cite the TMTCH version as definitive.

Comment

If I said I know one of TMTCH, (which I do) I'd get accused of name-dropping. This is the second sour grapes post I've made today so I should probably do something more useful.

Comment

Do we know for sure that all of TMTCH are still unhanged?

They might just have decided that it would be easier to pick the men off one at a time once their guard was down.

Comment

10cc - Liverpool Empire 1978

Daryl Hall and John Oates - Birmingham last night.

I'm Not In Love

She's Gone

Comment

What were H&O like, TTDD? I love their records but have always talked myself out of seeing them live.

Comment

They can still put on a decent show. It's only the 4th time I've seen them and a 25 year gap since the 3rd concert. They did a couple of tracks from War Babies and Along The Red Ledge. DH has trouble hitting the occasional high note but you expect that with a 72 year old. Would recommend them but my tickets weren't cheap.

Comment

Cracking thread this.

Japan, Hammersmith Odeon November 1982: Sons of Pioneers - Mick Karn's bass to the fore and he moved well too.

Teenage Fanclub, The Metro Sydney last month. It was bitterly disappointing; post-Gerard Love TF, who should henceforth call themselves Blake & McGinley. So I'm having a Gerard Love song anyway: I Need Direction

Comment

Working...
                                                  X