Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to that theatre once...

Comment

Weird, isn't it? Possibly I didn't know that there was a theatre there until you mentioned it on here, so the association is stronger in my mind than your indifferent attendance record really calls for.

Comment

First gig: Chumbawamba at the Agincourt, Camberley, sometime in the early 1990s.

Last gig: probably North Atlantic Oscillation at Proud Camden, maybe 2012? Having kids and moving out of London brought gig-going to a screeching halt.

Comment

First: Echo and the Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes, Chester Arts Centre 1979.
          Last: Ian Prowse, The Tin Shed in Treuddyn, Christmas 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
            Neon Knights - Black Sabbath (Hammersmith Odeon December January 1981)
            I thought you saw Krokus and/or Toyah before Sabbath? I presume you're seeing the former Swiss/Maltese rockers on their farewell tour supporting Saxon on their 40th anniversary soiree?

My first gig was Rush at Wembley Arena in 1981 on the 'Exit...Stage Left' tour and from it I give you this :

I think my most recent one was Cypress Hill in Zurich just before Xmas and this is one of my favourites (from the debut album which is superior to the breakthrough follow up 'Black Sunday');

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-02-2019, 12:52.

Comment

First: probably some mediocre punks at the 'Speakeasy' in Belfast University, 1978. I like to think it was a proto-U2, with Bonehead and Hedge finishing each song well before the rhythm section

Last: Jon's mate's covers band at the Old Bank, Stourbridge

Next: something called Interrobang. Anyone been?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                12 June 1976: Vetch Field, Swansea: The Who, LIttle Feat, Alex Harvey, Streetwalkers, Outlaws

28 January 2017: Kentish Town Forum: The Fall, and a couple of support bands whose names I forget now.

It's been a quiet time for me, gig-wise, since then.
                I was at Vetch Field that day as well. Terrific. Still glaze over at the memory.

Comment

First: Saxon at the Ipswich Gaumont in 1984
                  Last: Snuff in Cambridge (about 4 years ago?)

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                    First concert: Rammstein, Ahoy Rotterdam, 2006.
                    Most recent: They Might Be Giants, Paradiso Amsterdam, 2018.
                    Bloody hell, as if to purposefully decry Amor's post just a bit before this, I have to exclaim astonishment that Wouter is, I assume, so young. I assumed, in a AdC fashion, that you were our age.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                      Charlie Harper is 74, so I'm mighty impressed they're still touring. Maybe if they come to Frankfurt I'll check them out and then never go to another gig, for the sake of tying up loose ends.
                      I was a fan of UK Subs when I was first into music but drifted off them only to get back into them when we started supporting them. Still a load of great songs and, yes, Charlie is a fantastic bloke. I love the fact that, on occasion, when the UK Subs play Japan, he just flies over and plays with a local UK Subs tribute band.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Probably Rocky Sharp & the Replays, circa 1982.

Last one was either Belle & Sebastian or Einstόrzende Neubauten.
                        For some reason, this reminded me of this gig which, unfortunately, I didn't go to.

http://www.fromthearchives.com/en/EN07_Sep_87.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I thought you saw Krokus and/or Toyah before Sabbath? I presume you're seeing the former Swiss/Maltese rockers on their farewell tour supporting Saxon on their 40th anniversary soiree?
                          No, Black Sabbath, then Toyah, then Krokus then Rush with you and then Motorhead at Hammersmith Odeon, also with you, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                            Ha, my first gig was UK Subs at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens, around March 1980. Song: Kicks
                            Ha - My first was at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens - Sham 69 Approx late 1978 - "Angels With Dirty Faces"
                            Last - Oxford O2 Academy -Trail of Dead, Last week - "A Perfect Teenhood"

Comment

Growing up, I went to a lot of small gigs at the Bridge House Canning Town cos it was near me, and I played there (supporting the Troggs!).

First 'big' gig, AC/DC Hammersmith Odeon, last Bon Scott tour. (I'd choose Whole Lotta Rosie from their oeuvre.)

Most recent, 'The Musical Box' Genesis tribute band, back in October. (I'd choose all of their songs, depending on mood. OK, The Musical Box, if pushed.)

Comment

Stiff Little Fingers - Edinburgh (King's I think) 80 or 81.
                                Barry Manilow - Las Vegas (Westgate) 18

Suspect Device and Copacabana.

And let me tell you, Barry can rock the fuck out on "Suspect Device".

Comment

First: Hawkwind, Tunbridge Wells Assembly Hall, November 1974.
                                  Last: Hiatus Kaiyote, Somerset House, July 2016.

Not sure I could choose a favourite Hawkwind track now - it's probably 40 years since I listened to them. At the time it would probably have been 'Master Of The Universe'.
                                  I'd choose the sublime 'Nakamarra' as my favourite Hiatus Kaiyote tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                    Bloody hell, as if to purposefully decry Amor's post just a bit before this, I have to exclaim astonishment that Wouter is, I assume, so young. I assumed, in a AdC fashion, that you were our age.
                                    Born in December 1984.

Comment

The Smiths: Sheffield City Hall, March 1985: track Still Ill
                                      Brian Wilson: Sunrise, FL, December 2018: track (from the night) We Three Kings Of Orient Are, track (all-time from past Wilson gigs) Sail On Sailor or Child Is The Father of the Man (2004 'Smile' concert).

Comment

OK, not everyone has left tracks, but if we were going to create a special 2-CD compilation this is the tracklisting we would have so far. I think it would sound pretty good.

Disc 1 – the Firsts
                                        Midnight Oil – Kosciusko
                                        The Cult – Spiritwalker
                                        Thin Lizzy – Emerald
                                        Undertones – Here Comes the Summer
                                        Black Sabbath – Neon Knights
                                        Hawkwind – Silver Machine
                                        Men at Work – Who Can It Be Now
                                        Rammstein – Reise, Reise
                                        UK Subs – Kicks
                                        Strawbs – Lay Down
                                        Rush – Red Barchetta
                                        Sham 69 – Angels with Dirty Faces
                                        AC/DC – Whole Lotta Rosie
                                        Stiff Little Fingers – Suspect Device
                                        Hawkwind – Master of the Universe
                                        The Smiths – Still Ill

Disc 2 – the Lasts
                                        Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains
                                        Ill - Stuck On A Loop
                                        Toots and the Maytals – Pressure Drop
                                        Billy Bragg – A New England
                                        Hacksaw – You Won’t Get a Tip from a Golfing Comedian
                                        America – Sister Golden Hair
                                        The Good Lovelies – I See Gold
                                        They Might Be Giants – Ana Ng
                                        Low – (That’s How You Sing) Amazing Grace
                                        Tom Robinson Band – Power in the Darkness
                                        Cypress Hill – Hand on the Pump
                                        Trail of Dead – A Perfect Teenhood
                                        Genesis* – The Musical Box
                                        Barry Manilow – Copacabana
                                        Hiatus Kaiyote – Nakkamarra
                                        Brian Wilson – We Three Kings of Orient Are / Sail on Sailor / The Father of the Man

* not necessarily recorded by the original artist

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          First: Brian Poole and The Tremeloes, Stevenage Mecca sometime in 1963

Last: Cassandra Wilson, Vogue Theatre, Vancouver. October 2018
                                          OK. Brian Poole was awful, I only went because I had a hot date with a fourth former from a different the school to mine. I knew my mates would be there and wanted to show off. Let's go with Twist and Shout by The Isley Brothers instead (natch.)

Cassandra Wilson, Hmmm so many... You Gotta Move I think.

Comment

Cheers AdC, you're kickstarting the second compilation. Just another 15 of each to go.

Comment

From my first and last I'll go with:

I Can See For Miles- The Who
                                              New Puritan - The Fall

Comment

Also forgot to add mine:

Rats in the Cellar - Aerosmith
                                                I Live in a Car - UK Subs

Comment

First - Athlete at York Barbican, supported by a just about to hit the big time Snow Patrol and never to hit the big time Weevil
                                                  Last - Belle & Sebastian at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

Comment

Forgot to add mine:

Iron Maiden: Holy Smoke
                                                    U2: One

Comment

Working...
                                                    X