First and last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First :
    The Damned, Carlisle Sands Centre, 1988 (the night before my French oral for GCSE)
    Song - New Rose

Last :
    The Joy Formidable, Newcastle Think Thank, a few hours ago
    Song - Whirring

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
      First :

The Joy Formidable, Newcastle Think Thank, a few hours ago
      Ooh - local band. We like them a lot.

First: Bunnymen/Teardrops. Song: Read it in Books (as they have both recorded it)
      Last : Ian Prowse. Song: Raid the Palace

Comment

The last gig I went to was seeing the jazz orchestra my girlfriend plays baritone saxophone in. If we're doing "proper" gigs where the performers are professional musicians, then it would be:

First: Paul McCartney, Wembley Arena, January 1990
        Last: Public Service Broadcasting, Royal Albert Hall, November 2018

As for songs, for McCartney I'd go for 'Temporary Secretary' and for PSB, I'd go for 'Spitfire'.

Comment

It's weird seeing Public Service Broadcasting as PSB. Those initials are spoken for!

Comment

Indeed they are! I was just too lazy to type out the full name of the band again.

Comment

That is a very valid consideration. I'd use an abbreviation for Can if I could.

Comment

As a fan of both acts, the correct abbreviation of Pet Shop Boys is Ver Shoppies so Public Service Broadcasting can have PSB.

Comment

First: Marillion (supported by Beltane Fire, whoever they were) at the NEC in December 1985
                  Last: Teenage Fanclub (supported by themselves) at Birmingham Institute in November 2018

"Market Square Heroes" and "Gene Clark"

Comment

Volume 2 seems to be shaping up to be at least the equal of Volume 1

Comment

First gig by a band I can name songs by was Hawkwind at Manchester Apollo in 83 or 84 (Choose Your Marques tour). If i was to choose a song for the CD I'd have to cheat and insist on Assault and Battery / The Golden Void (this I tell you brother etc)
                      Most recent was Richard Hawley. I'd forgo a choice if helped ensure my Hawkwind selection made the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        That is a very valid consideration. I'd use an abbreviation for Can if I could.
                        I'm looking for an abbreviation of 'U2'.

Comment

Wait, so, three OTFers are claiming their first gig was a Hawkwind gig?

Comment

You sound as though you're dubious.

Rubettes or Racey fans trying to draw a veil over their youthful passions, do you reckon?

Comment

No, it's just not a band I would regard as popular for first gigs.

Comment

Yes, I know what you mean, but first gigs aren't always the hottest act at the time or your favourite band. They're usually the first band that you quite like, or think you might like, that are playing in the area, that you can get a ticket for, that some mates are going along to, aren't they?

Comment

Condensed down to the compilation listing, which was great work by PT, the firsts disc seemed to feature significantly more no nonsense rockers than the lasts.

The tendency seems to be for forum members, as the years roll by, to lose their edge big time and start thinking they're Gideon fackin' Coe or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    Yes, I know what you mean, but first gigs aren't always the hottest act at the time or your favourite band. They're usually the first band that you quite like, or think you might like, that are playing in the area, that you can get a ticket for, that some mates are going along to, aren't they?
                                    Or, in my case, were playing the dodgy free festival...

Comment

Not sure of the line-up between Tommy Steele, Joe Brown, Basil Brush, Leslie Crowther, Larry Grayson and John Hanson, but I saw all of those in two seaside shows when I was 12.

Comment

My best mate Pierre's older sister (she swore and smoked) took us to some kind of rock show at our local high school when we were maybe eight or nine. It's possible we saw Rush or Triumph, as they both played our school back in the mid '70s, but it's far more likely we saw some shit 'battle of the bands' with some local nobodies.

Comment

My parents took me to see Diana Ross sometime circa 82/83. Hard to see past "I'm Coming Out" personally, but no idea if she actually performed that then. I distinctly remember her performing '''Muscles" though. I think my young 6 year old brain got seared

Last was FFS. So, "So Desu Ne".

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                            Not sure of the line-up between Tommy Steele, Joe Brown, Basil Brush, Leslie Crowther, Larry Grayson and John Hanson, but I saw all of those in two seaside shows when I was 12.
                                            The original supergroup.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              My best mate Pierre's older sister (she swore and smoked) took us to some kind of rock show at our local high school when we were maybe eight or nine. It's possible we saw Rush or Triumph, as they both played our school back in the mid '70s, but it's far more likely we saw some shit 'battle of the bands' with some local nobodies.
                                              Rush wouldn't have been playing schools in the mid-70s, would they?

Comment

According to their online gig archive, definitely into 1975. But by '76 everything is listed as 'Hall', 'Gardens' or 'Arena', so clearly they'd graduated. In '75, they were playing Massey Hall in Toronto one week, and bars called Denny's and Gasworks a few weeks later. And high schools in small towns. Man, did those guys log the early road miles.

As I say, I'm not claiming it...but it could have happened.

Comment

Wow, that's fantastic.

That's the way to spread your name and build your fanbase though.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post

I was at Vetch Field that day as well. Terrific. Still glaze over at the memory.
                                                    Wow! Were you living in the Swansea area at the time?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X