• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite musical performance photos

Comment

Comment

Comment

Till Lindemann and Rammstein during "Mutter", Dublin O2.February 2013.

Taken during one of the four songs in the entire set where photographers are allowed at the front of the stage. Their first time in Ireland and it was completely sold out and this was voted best gig of the year by just about every metal and rock fan in the country.

I love it because it shows how much Lindemann performs in character on stage. The slow exposure makes the spark waterfall look amazing.
          Last edited by Snake Plissken; 31-01-2019, 19:50.

Comment

U2, 360 Tour Don Valley Stadium, August 2009.

I'm probably in this somewhere. I love the way the photographer has got Bono framed against the light. I've got a book of great photos from this gig. Slightly bittersweet memory as this was the day I was told I had a gig in Dublin and would have to live away from my wife for a while.
            Last edited by Snake Plissken; 31-01-2019, 19:54.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

1979 Black Flag at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach, California, photographer: ????.

Last edited by danielmak; 30-01-2019, 06:11.

Comment

The Clash, The Palladium, New York City on 21 September 1979, photographer: Pennie Smith. And of course, this one is famous as an album cover but removed from the graphics and uncropped, it's a great image.

Last edited by danielmak; 30-01-2019, 06:14.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          Yes to this one every time.

From a similar era

There is a much better, wider-cropped version of this great shot of Ramones at Eric's by Ian Dickson but I can't link to one without a watermark.

Comment

I'd find these photos an awful lot more interesting if the name of the artist or band, a date and a bit of context was attached to them.

Comment

Yes. The reason I didn't is because if you click and drag the photo into the 'write box' it leaves no room for text (I guess?)

In any case I've no info on the opening photo. What makes it interesting is the three guys in the front row of the audience. Doesn't really matter who or when. My second photo is Kurt Cobain standing on his head while playing at the Commodore Ballroom here in Vancouver.
                              Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 29-01-2019, 00:06.

Comment

Mine is Iggy Pop with the Stooges in Cincinatti in 1970. They are apparently performing TV Eye. I didn't know any of this when I posted it.

Comment

#2 Billie Holiday, recording for Commodore, April 20, 1939. Guitarist is Florida native Jimmy McLin

#3 Sister Rosetta Tharpe

#4 Nina Simone, Annies Room nightclub London, 1965
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-01-2019, 10:51.

Comment

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com...odman-NYC-1948

This one of Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman seeing/hearing Ella Fitzgerald.

Comment

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com.../Devo-NYC-1977

Though this one of Devo ain't bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                        I'd find these photos an awful lot more interesting if the name of the artist or band, a date and a bit of context was attached to them.
                                        I added notes to the two I posted above, including updating the image that was listed as Circle Jerks but should have been Black Flag. Keith Morris started with Black Flag before leaving to help form the Circle Jerks.

Comment

Thanks Daniel, and to the others, for the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                                            https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com.../Devo-NYC-1977

Though this one of Devo ain't bad either.
                                            Even though they look like they just got back from a 5 a side tournament.

Comment

Added notes to my two.

Comment

The first one is Bob Willoughby’’s photograph of Big Jay McNeely and audience, the Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, 1951.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that. I had it down as the 50s but not that early.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X