No announcement yet.

New Music For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Quietus publishes its top 100 albums of the first six months of 2019. I've got 4 or 5 of those, which is quite high for me. Always worth a browse, even if at least 75% of the music samples I click on doesn't quite live up to the florid and enthusiastic prose that describes it. But then "unlistenable racket" or "tedious techno" would only be a good review for a grumpy old bugger in his 50s who's stopped liking anything too loud (especially since I got hearing aids).

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
      (especially since I got hearing aids).
      Blimey, that sounds nasty.

Comment

Nah, they're fine - they've greatly sharpened and enhanced the sound quality. Could no longer live without them, in fact (I got them about 10 years ago - I've been hard of hearing since birth).

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
          The Quietus publishes its top 100 albums of the first six months of 2019. I've got 4 or 5 of those, which is quite high for me. Always worth a browse, even if at least 75% of the music samples I click on doesn't quite live up to the florid and enthusiastic prose that describes it. But then "unlistenable racket"
          Most of it is the usual 'two oil drums banging together' stuff, and then there's Carly Rae Jepsen....

Comment

New Tool album out today, I'm commuting alone today so that's the soundtrack of the drive home sorted.

Also new Lana Del Rey, less thrillingly, but it's being talked up as her best since her debut.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                New Tool album out today, I'm commuting alone today so that's the soundtrack of the drive home sorted.
                Been hearing lead single Inoculum a fair bit lately - augurs well for the new collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Been hearing lead single Inoculum a fair bit lately - augurs well for the new collection.
                  The rest of the album maintains the standard - however it's not to be entered into lightly, with several songs weighing in at over 10 minutes each. I'm going to have another go at it in full on a long run or walk, it will suit that setting. Son reckons they finished the bulk of it eight years ago and have been tweaking and otherwise delaying it since.

Comment

Sounds par for the course, tbh. Will invest the time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      Also new Lana Del Rey, less thrillingly, but it's being talked up as her best since her debut.
                      This is going to sound kind of obvious, but when I dig a song from her, the song is often a recurring listen via youtube. And when she misses, I tend not to come back (i.e., sometimes I can start to like a song over time that didn't work for me at first but with her that doesn't happen).

I posted about "Mariners Apartment Complex" when it first came out. The song was probably number one for me last year, so she's been letting various tracks trickle out.

And "Hope is a dangerous thing" is amazing as well.

The other songs off this record haven't worked for me as much, at least the songs I've heard. Haven't streamed the whole thing yet.

Comment

I like the blackmidi record. Yes, I realise that makes me a hipster wanker. Ducter is a tremendous David Thomas impression.

Comment

I like black midi - and I'm no hipster.

B*llocks to muso-stereotyping.

Comment

OK. Why haven't I ever had time for Angel Olsen before?

Lark, from her forthcoming new album, is amazing.

Comment

This rather lovely release from Object Blue arrived today - https://objectblue.bandcamp.com/album/figure-beside-me

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                I like black midi - and I'm no hipster.
                                Just gave this a listen. It's quite something. Will give it the long-listen treatment on the weekend. It's weird enough to aggravate my missus if that suddenly needs doing.

Comment

Meat by Poppy.

It's Daphne and Celeste crossed with Billie Eilish crossed with nu-metal. Sometimes, this works (in this track), other times I'm not sure. But it's always interesting.

She's touring in February, and I am so tempted to go. On the other hand, I'll be the only person there who's older than 21, I suspect. I'd feel weird.
                                  Stream Meat by Poppy from desktop or your mobile device

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                    I'm sure you all remember Arthur & Martha's 2009 album 'Navigations', which featured the tremendous opening track 'Autovia'. Ahem.

Anyways, a remix album, 'Adjustments', came out last month. And Gabe Knox has remixed Autovia. I suspect many of you will enjoy this one.
                                    Just taking a stroll through this thread and I ought to acknowledge that this is indeed great. I went to see the one-off Arthur & Martha show that they did around the release of this album and it was good, but to be honest I prefer the stuff that "Arthur" is now doing under the name Rodney Cromwell. "Martha"'s solo stuff, under the name Alice Hubble, seems to have been an enormous critical success (well, in comparative terms), but I can't get on with it at all.

But anyway, yes. Arthur & Martha. Hurrah!

Comment

Here are a few posts of electronic things released this year that I've enjoyed.

The Silicon Scientist's Sinister Street, notably un-sinister vocoder-driven synthpop.

Comment

VDOF’s Zooming In I Can Clearly See Your Heart Has Got Aliasing Issues, whimsically confident minimal electronic debut.

Comment

Jane Weaver's Slow Motion (Loops Variation), dreamily melancholy synthpop.

Comment

Listening Center's Meridian, brisk, evilC-friendly synthpop experimentalism.

Comment

Grand Veymont’s session for La Souterraine, Radio Campus Paris, stunning live longform pastoral drone.

Stream Grand Veymont | In Session for La Souterraine, Radio Campus Paris by Outré from desktop or your mobile device

Comment

And the last one for now, Bernard Grancher’s Fluxion Des Mollesses, homemade electropop with echoes of acidity.

from the album Troublante Tournure LP Polytechnic Youth Records PY77

Comment

Revival Black - British hard rock. In a good way.

Comment

A big month for new albums, with releases from Sudan Archives ('Athena' - https://sudanarchives.bandcamp.com/album/athena) and Moor Mother ('Analog Fluids Of Sonic Black Holes' - https://moormother.bandcamp.com/albu...ic-black-holes).

Not new, but new to me, is Spike Fuck and her pretty songs about insanity and addiction (https://spikefuck.bandcamp.com/album/the-smackwave-ep).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X