New Music For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
    Lizzo's Juice is a super-infectious piece of pop r 'n' b with strong hints of A Night To Remember. Video is a hoot, too -- here.
    Yes - love Lizzo. Her Minneapolis roots show through. Suoer 80s/Prince vibe.

Comment

It's three years old, but OMG I love Beyonce's Lemonade album, and I hadn't heard it till a fortnight ago. Brilliant.

Comment

Currently getting my 'new release' pleasure from the following:
        Apparat - LP5
        Jenny Lewis - On The Line
        Edwyn Collins - Badbea
        Steve Gunn - The Unseen Inbetween
        Robert Forster - Inferno
        James Yorkston - The Route to the Harmonium
        These New Puritans - Inside the Rose

Comment

Pom Poko's new LP 'Birthday on Bella Union is doing it for me at the moment..an example is herewithin..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Xv9h___7o

Comment

Never heard of The Frights before in my life. Apparently an LA-based garage / surf punk band. But the cover of their new live album caught my eye in the new releases section of iTunes, so I gave it a whirl. And now I'm a big ol' Frights fan. A big bunch of catchy three-chords type tunes with an audience that's obviously dedicated and knows every word. Just plain fun.

Comment

For a bit of b*llocksy, low-rent garage-rock, I quite like Pit Pony's new single.

Of those recently mentioned, I've also enjoyed current material by Pom Poko, James Yorkston and Edwyn Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Never heard of The Frights before in my life. Apparently an LA-based garage / surf punk band. But the cover of their new live album caught my eye in the new releases section of iTunes, so I gave it a whirl. And now I'm a big ol' Frights fan. A big bunch of catchy three-chords type tunes with an audience that's obviously dedicated and knows every word. Just plain fun.
                Just listened to some of the Frights,they're bloody good and have the advantage of finding rhymes for "it" and "luck " that I can't imagine Westlife or Beyonce using.

Comment

May I suggest that if anyone likes Fontaines DC, also try The Murder Capital. Agreeable rackets, the pair of them.

Comment

I've seen them both,my version of the Pistols at Manchester free hall is seeing Fontaines supporting the Urges in front of about 50 people,also saw Murder Capital supporting the Fontaines in front of a much bigger crowd in the Button factory last summer,now they're on Soccer A.M and playing 2 nights in Vicar street.

Comment

I must admit it was no great achievement of mine,I only went to see the Urges because I know the drummer (they're a decent band as well but chronically lazy,think they've broken up,if you check out their video for "time will pass " it stars my typewriter!) Anyway Fontaines album is like a greatest hits because they've brought out four singles already ,personal favourite ,original and the best "liberty belle " they're all on that YouTube thingy.

Comment

Have a brilliant slice of Garage Rock with the dumbest video you'll see this year.

Amyl and the Sniffers - Monsoon Rock

Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 19-04-2019, 22:41.

Comment

Lizzo. Cuz I Love You.

Holy shit...lives up to all the buzz.

Comment

As entertaining as she is, I'm concerned about all the hype surrounding Lizzo. It's not good for one.

Ditto Fontaines DC. Who are also okay.

Comment

The new Springsteen song has a nice alt.country vibe:

Comment

Indeed it does. And given L's penchant for all things country and all things Springsteen, if I don't hear this album on a 24-hour loop for the entirety of the summer, it will be because I've moved out....

Comment

Stella Donnelly

https://youtu.be/0Q0t_dDKjyI

Great album and a really wonderful live performer. Really smart, funny, insanely charming and just pretty much everything you want from pop muisc.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Lizzo. Cuz I Love You.

Holy shit...lives up to all the buzz.
                                    Her track ""Let 'em Say" with Caroline Smith is about my favourite song of the last 5 years.

Comment

Ooh hobbes, I've just seen that you advocate Jaffa Cakes as biscuits. I love you, man. If that EIM hounds you on social media about this at any time, then let me know immediately so that I can weigh in against his utter wrongness and defend the cause. I've been boycotting his pub for years because of this (admittedly quite easy, living in another country), and urge you all to do the same.

Comment

I listened to the new Ward Thomas album a couple of days ago. Disappointing and forgettable.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                          Ooh hobbes, I've just seen that you advocate Jaffa Cakes as biscuits. I love you, man. If that EIM hounds you on social media about this at any time, then let me know immediately so that I can weigh in against his utter wrongness and defend the cause. I've been boycotting his pub for years because of this (admittedly quite easy, living in another country), and urge you all to do the same.
                                          There's a pretty sizeable clue in the product name, I'd say.

But, you know...

Comment

Don't you start, now. The even more sizeable clue is that they're always in the biscuit section of any fucking supermarket you go into. Ever seen one served up at a birthday party with candles and cut into slices? Thought not. Case closed.

Comment

I did a like on your post imp. How 2015 am I?!?

As for new music, this is...unexpected from Lloyd Cole.
                                              Unexpected but I reckon rather great.
                                              Violins

Comment

Yes, that's lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                                  Don't you start, now. The even more sizeable clue is that they're always in the biscuit section of any fucking supermarket you go into. Ever seen one served up at a birthday party with candles and cut into slices? Thought not. Case closed.
                                                  (Belatedly, since I've only just seen this...)

It wasn't sliced, but I was served one with a mini candle in it on my birthday a wee while ago - by a work colleague who (rightly) saw it as a cake. Biscuits/cookies are, by contrast, high-bake affairs. (My only confusion remains with the now-universal usage of what I thought was a trade name.)

As for supermarket aisles, I'd not read too much into that bar 'convenience'. I mean, they keep bin-bags in the 'cleaning products'-section of my local Sainsbury's. Try cleaning anything with one of those things and you'll wind up a very unhappy fellow indeed.

Comment

Excellent to see this has kicked off. Mum used to serve them to us after the baked beans / spaghetti on toast course of our tea. She also,did this with French Fancies, Bakewell Slices or Battenburg. But not Digestives. Clearly Mum thought they were cakes and that'll do for me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X