New Music For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

I think that you might be having some kind of breakdown.
    Always.

Comment

I’ve never seen an almond slice with candles in it at a kids’ party but nobody claims that’s a biscuit.

I think the “goes dry and hard” v “goes soft and crumbly” test is excellent.

And the local supermarket brand do their own Bourbons, dirt cheap. They’re not called Bourbons, and don’t have the word embossed into the dough, but they’re fine.

Comment

I read this in my lunch break, then got up to take my stuff back to the kitchen, and as if by magic 48 Jaffa Cakes have appeared on top of the filing cabinet which is used to put food to be shared (birthday cakes, holiday sweets etc). I'm hoping its a real life Twilight Zone episode, and to test it tomorrow morning I'll be scouring the forum for threads which mention pizza and/or beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          I read this in my lunch break, then got up to take my stuff back to the kitchen, and as if by magic 48 Jaffa Cakes have appeared on top of the filing cabinet which is used to put food to be shared (birthday cakes, holiday sweets etc). I'm hoping its a real life Twilight Zone episode, and to test it tomorrow morning I'll be scouring the forum for threads which mention pizza and/or beer.
          Go round the office with the Jaffa Cakes asking, „Anyone fancy a biscuit?“ and get back to us with the reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            I’ve never seen an almond slice with candles in it at a kids’ party but nobody claims that’s a biscuit.
            I know - I mean, Jesus wept.

Comment

It's not a cake either. It's a pastry.

Comment

OH MY GOD YOU WENT THERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

It's not a cake either. It's a pastry.
                  We can't be talking about the same thing here. I'm talking Mr. Kipling's Almond Slice. You know, the one that's basically and oblong slice. Of cake.

Comment

It can‘t be a slice and a cake. It can be a slice of cake. It can be a slice. It can be a cake. But it can‘t be both. You can’t have your slice/cake and eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                      You can'’t have your slice/cake and eat it.
                      Yes you can. You just have to want it enough.

Comment

We can't be talking about the same thing here. I'm talking Mr. Kipling's Almond Slice. You know, the one that's basically and oblong slice. Of cake.
                        We are. Though, it's true, I haven't kept in touch with what Mr Kipling's been up to for years. But, in my memory they're neither cake nor biscuit. Just as a scone, or cherry Danish, isn't cake or biscuit.

Comment

We really are entering strange terrain here.

Comment

A Mr Kipling almond slice is indeed 'cake'. Like that ever needed confirmation. A Danish, a pain au chocolat, a croissant and a cream horn are all pastries - ie, nothing like an almond slice.

A scone is a 'quick bread' - it uses baking powder rather than yeast as its leavening. (Not sure what else would fall under the same category - possibly a Welsh cake.)

Comment

Sleater Kinney 2019 have nice hair. Esp the band member on the right. Cake or biscuit, Jaffa cakes are mince.

Comment

A Mr Kipling almond slice is indeed 'cake'. Like that ever needed confirmation. A Danish, a pain au chocolat, a croissant and a cream horn are all pastries - ie, nothing like an almond slice.

A scone is a 'quick bread' - it uses baking powder rather than yeast as its leavening. (Not sure what else would fall under the same category - possibly a Welsh cake.)

Pish posh! We're taking usage not recipes. Walk into any coffee shop and "pastries" include, muffins, cinnamon rolls, croissants, and scones. There may be "cakes" (chocolate, cheesecake, etc.) in a display case, and "biscuits" in cookie jars (ginger, chocolate, raisin and so on.) They look different, they're displayed differently and served differently.

Comment

There is nothing to disagree with in AdeC‘s last post. We win! Someone tell EIM. He‘ll be devastated. And deservedly so.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                    There is nothing to disagree with in AdeC‘s last post. We win!
                                    It really is like trying to have a debate with five-year-olds.

Comment

I think you‘re maybe taking it a bit too seriously.

Comment

Apologies, that was meant to be semi-humorous but admittedly doesn't look it. (For the record, AdeC made a valid point, but it doesn't alter the underlying facts. So - 'cake', no returns.)

Anyway, back on music (finally) - I'm looking forward to the new Chali 2na/Krafty Kuts collection. The first couple of singles have been pretty darned good.

Comment

How can something be a slice, but not be a slice of something? So if it's a slice, it's a slice of pie or a slice of cake or a slice of, perhaps, pastry, but "pastry" feels too general, and this vital topic calls for precision and specificity.

Comment

Believe me, I've tried that. Best of luck, though.

Comment

A Ginster's slice isn't a slice of anything. Other than near inedible shite, that is.

Comment

I looked that up. It is not a slice of anything and therefore should not be called a slice. I suppose it may have originally a slice of a bigger pie - or it is meant to replicate that experience somehow - and then they adapted the structure so they could package self-contained smaller servings. But the name didn't change as it evolved away from what it originally was. Kinda like how we use "football" to describe a game that is very different from what it evolved out of and now doesn't involve much ballkicking. Or how "literally" now means "not literally."

Comment

Yeah, why are those things called a 'slice'?

Don't Ginster also make the 'Buffet bar'? Which isn't a 'bar', either. (Come to think of it, it's not exactly 'buffet'.)

A 'buffet bar' is surely the carriage that serves refreshment on a train.

Comment

Freddie Gibbs x Madlib: Bandana

Perfect hip hop album for summer

Comment

Working...
                                                    X