No announcement yet.

New Music For 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been enjoying Twin Temple's Bring You Their Signature Sound...Satanic Doo-Wop album.

It was self released in the US last year but got a European release a month or so ago. It's a very well executed set of girl group/retro pop songs about devil worship, with a feminist slant. Beyond the high concept, singer Alexandra James has a genuinely excellent voice, although I'm not sure that harmonising is prominent enough for it to really stand up as doo-wop.

They're playing at the Lexington next week so I'll be popping along to that. No links as the only videos available look to be at the Sex Dwarf end of the SFW scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
      Lizzo's Juice is a super-infectious piece of pop r 'n' b with strong hints of A Night To Remember. Video is a hoot, too -- here.
      Yes - love Lizzo. Her Minneapolis roots show through. Suoer 80s/Prince vibe.

Comment

It's three years old, but OMG I love Beyonce's Lemonade album, and I hadn't heard it till a fortnight ago. Brilliant.

Comment

Currently getting my 'new release' pleasure from the following:
          Apparat - LP5
          Jenny Lewis - On The Line
          Edwyn Collins - Badbea
          Steve Gunn - The Unseen Inbetween
          Robert Forster - Inferno
          James Yorkston - The Route to the Harmonium
          These New Puritans - Inside the Rose

Comment

Pom Poko's new LP 'Birthday on Bella Union is doing it for me at the moment..an example is herewithin..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Xv9h___7o

Comment

Never heard of The Frights before in my life. Apparently an LA-based garage / surf punk band. But the cover of their new live album caught my eye in the new releases section of iTunes, so I gave it a whirl. And now I'm a big ol' Frights fan. A big bunch of catchy three-chords type tunes with an audience that's obviously dedicated and knows every word. Just plain fun.

Comment

I'd never heard of Weyes Blood (the stage name of Natalie Mering) before but her new album Titanic Rising got a rave review from Pitchfork and it really is something else. The first song "A Lot's Gonna Change" is beautiful.

Comment

For a bit of b*llocksy, low-rent garage-rock, I quite like Pit Pony's new single.

Of those recently mentioned, I've also enjoyed current material by Pom Poko, James Yorkston and Edwyn Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    Never heard of The Frights before in my life. Apparently an LA-based garage / surf punk band. But the cover of their new live album caught my eye in the new releases section of iTunes, so I gave it a whirl. And now I'm a big ol' Frights fan. A big bunch of catchy three-chords type tunes with an audience that's obviously dedicated and knows every word. Just plain fun.
                    Just listened to some of the Frights,they're bloody good and have the advantage of finding rhymes for "it" and "luck " that I can't imagine Westlife or Beyonce using.

Comment

Have you heard anything from Fontaines D.C., elguapo? Dublin band who seem to be making some noise. Their album got a good review in Pitchfork but I've not come across them yet.

Comment

May I suggest that if anyone likes Fontaines DC, also try The Murder Capital. Agreeable rackets, the pair of them.

Comment

I've seen them both,my version of the Pistols at Manchester free hall is seeing Fontaines supporting the Urges in front of about 50 people,also saw Murder Capital supporting the Fontaines in front of a much bigger crowd in the Button factory last summer,now they're on Soccer A.M and playing 2 nights in Vicar street.

Comment

I must admit it was no great achievement of mine,I only went to see the Urges because I know the drummer (they're a decent band as well but chronically lazy,think they've broken up,if you check out their video for "time will pass " it stars my typewriter!) Anyway Fontaines album is like a greatest hits because they've brought out four singles already ,personal favourite ,original and the best "liberty belle " they're all on that YouTube thingy.

Comment

Have a brilliant slice of Garage Rock with the dumbest video you'll see this year.

Amyl and the Sniffers - Monsoon Rock

Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 19-04-2019, 22:41.

Comment

Lizzo. Cuz I Love You.

Holy shit...lives up to all the buzz.

Comment

As entertaining as she is, I'm concerned about all the hype surrounding Lizzo. It's not good for one.

Ditto Fontaines DC. Who are also okay.

Comment

The new Springsteen song has a nice alt.country vibe:

Comment

Working...
                                    X