No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been to 3 gigs this month. Saw The Wedding Present in Cardiff and Oxford, playing Bizarro and other songs. Excellent as always, though would have preferred Bizarro in one go rather than being spread across the set. Support came from The Flatmates, who were better than I remembered them as.

Last week Honeyblood played the Moles in Bath, ahead of the new album (released yesterday). A new line up since the last tour. An energetic, but brief set at just over an hour, 5 songs from each of the 3 albums so far giving a fair balance of their output. Seeing them again next month in Cardiff when the new songs will be more well known by then.

Comment

I went to a WP George Best anniversary show that keener attendees told me played rather fast and loose with the track list and order. Not a problem in itself but they had effectively marketed it as an album recital.

Just arrived in Manchester for A Certain Ratio's 40th anniversary show. The full day runs 4pm - 4am so pacing will be required.

Comment

I went to see This Is Not This Heat last night at the Albany Theatre in Deptford. I've never been a huge fan of theirs, but fancied this gig due to its location. It's one of the best concerts I've been to for some time. Every song sounded infinitely better than the recorded version, the venue was incredible, just a really great night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
          The Proclaimers last night at Sydney Opera House: fantastic. The boys' voices as strong and clear as ever, backed by a really tight 4-piece band (amazing drummer). True to form, there wasn't a huge amount of chat, but they seem to really enjoy it, and care about giving a good show. Highlights: Sunshine On Leith and Streets Of Edinburgh off the latest album, which gave me goosebumps.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but they're certainly mine.
          Saw them last year in the Isle of Man - not quite as glam as Sid’s Opera House. The gig was pretty much the same as you’ve described above. Still good though.

Comment

Saw The Rutles (the Eric Idle inspired Beatles parody, pi55 take, with Neil Innes providing the music) in Glasgow last night. Innes’ songs are wonderful and some sound more Beatles-ish than the Beatles themselves and Innes’ take on Lennon’s voice is brilliant. A great concert. The Rutles played for 2 hours. Not bad considering Innes is in his 70’s now.

Comment

A Certain Ratio were brilliant on Saturday. They played two sets across the night. The first leaned towards their early material and original frontman Simon Topping joined them on stage. The second set was (even) more dancefloor orientated and finished up with the band standing in the middle of the crowd for a latin percussion work out. There was strong support earlier from Sink Ya Teeth and New Order side project Shadowparty as well as a roster of DJs including Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert. The venue, called Yes, is just across the road from The Lass O' Gowrie pub in Manchester city centre which was good for a bit of down time. Cracking evening all round.

Comment

Calling a venue "Yes" must lead to confusion, no?

Saw Wire at EartH last night. Very good. Not many songs I recognised but I'm only familiar with first two albums and can live without I Am The Fly.

Comment

Not as much as the New York penchant for using the same name for venues in completely different places.

The most famous example is Madison Square Garden, which is not in its fifth iteration and hasn't been anywhere near Madison Square for close to a century, but there are a number of others.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                    Calling a venue "Yes" must lead to confusion, no?
                    Maybe...

The venue is newish and has moved quite a way up the Google list for 'Yes Manchester' since the show was first announced. Dunno whether this can be achieved naturally or if they have had to actively address the issue.

Something I hadn't come across in central Manchester before is the fantastic Vimto Monument. If we hadn't found the venue, Plan B was to hang around there drinking pop and eating crisps, '70s family pub outing style.

Comment

Are those meant to be gooseberries? I'm struggling with scale here. Either way, nice monument.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        Are those meant to be gooseberries? I'm struggling with scale here. Either way, nice monument.
                        The monument is pretty big. The bottle is about twelve feet tall but it looks slightly undersized in relation to the fruit. The green things are grapes; the whole thing is made of wood and the ageing process may not have enhanced their essential grape-ness.

Anyhow, next up for me is The Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices, aka Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, aka the Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Vocal Choir. One for the '80s 4AD fans.
                        Last edited by Benjm; 03-06-2019, 10:17.

Comment

Free gig in the Workmans club last night. The first band,who's name I didn't get were melodic sixties style Byrds/ Beach boys/ Doors style. The main act,Melts, were early 80s Joy Division/Echo and the Bunnymen style with a frontman who is the spitting image of Jurgen Klopp. All told,a good way to spend a bank holiday Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                            The main act,Melts, were early 80s Joy Division/Echo and the Bunnymen style with a frontman who is the spitting image of Jurgen Klopp.
                            You say it was a lookalike, but has anyone seen JK since he got off the bus?

Comment

Have booked for Killing Joke at KK Steel Mill in Wolverhampton, in August. It's a new venue in the city, so if anyone could review the venue that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                Have booked for Killing Joke at KK Steel Mill in Wolverhampton, in August. It's a new venue in the city, so if anyone could review the venue that would be great.
                                Been there for wrestling, of all things. It's a warehouse, basically.

Comment

I've been to three gigs recently - Dutch indie types Pip Blom (energetic and enthusiastic, but I prefer a bit more of a pop hook than they were able to deliver - although they went down very well) at the Craufurd Arms in Wolverton, the "brace-twanging yob jangle" of Hygiene (wouldn't want to listen to them all the time, but they're politically astute and also amusing) at the Lexington and Rodney Cromwell (catchy, evilC-friendly synthpop) at the Honor Oak in Forest Hill.

Comment

Two in the next week, first "name" gigs since last October. First on Saturday I've got the Cure at Malahide castle, looking forward to it although the weather forecast is dodgy and Malahide is a pig of a place to get out of afterwards. Next Wednesday is a little easier, with California Ska/ Punks the Interrupters coming to Dublin city centre, only problem there is getting up for work the next day.

Comment

It's finally here. Liz Phair tonight at Manchester's Gorilla venue. Can't wait. I am figuratively reduced to the level of a screaming teenage fan boy.

Comment

The Wedding Present in Falmouth were pretty much what I'd expect them to be. I've seen them so many times there's really no surprises left. David Gegde seems to be slowing the songs down a bit though. Kennedy, Take Me and Nobodys Twisting You Arm the peaks.

Melys, the support band, were excellent. I vaguely remember them from Peel Sessions around the turn of the century and the Welsh Anskt scene. They were loud, thrashy and made a glorious noise. So much so I had to buy a CD and get it signed. Best support band I've seen in years.

Comment

The Cure in Malahide castle, first the good; Robert and the boys were brilliant,mixing the hits with lesser known stuff and new tracks, Smiths voice is still in great shape and you can easily forget what a good guitarist he is,support act Ride were really good as well, the expected rain held off and the castle is a great venue as well.
                                          The bad is Malahide, nice place that it is, is one fuckin difficult place to get out of. The road network is still in the 80s and I ended up calling a friends husband who's a taximan to get us out of the place, best € 40 I ever spent.

Comment

The Wedding Present in Bristol, the first time I've seen them............this month.

Disappointing turn out, especially for a Saturday night. A new song, which sounded promising and a revamp of the non Bizarro songs in the set from last month. Gedge was in a quiet mood, with only the prepared chat between songs. Overall an excellent evening, I never get tired of seeing this band play live.

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                            David Gegde seems to be slowing the songs down a bit though.
                                            Interesting, hadn't noticed that, which songs did you think? Facebook group mentioned that in Exeter a few thought they had speeded up if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by brian potter View Post
                                              The Wedding Present in Bristol, the first time I've seen them............this month.

Disappointing turn out, especially for a Saturday night. A new song, which sounded promising and a revamp of the non Bizarro songs in the set from last month. Gedge was in a quiet mood, with only the prepared chat between songs. Overall an excellent evening, I never get tired of seeing this band play live.

Interesting, hadn't noticed that, which songs did you think? Facebook group mentioned that in Exeter a few thought they had speeded up if anything.
                                              It was most prominent on the GB30 tour, but I reckon Take Me! and Nobody's Twisting Your Arm could have been faster.

Turn out definitely feels lower nowadays, Falmouth was nowhere near full (maybe just over two-thirds of capacity) and in a part of the country they haven't played for over four years, which is why we went down there as they visit Exeter just about annually. I'm not sure the band are the force they once were and folk are getting a bit bored of the personnel changes. Although the biggest shock was Gedge telling us that Charles Layton on drums has now played live more times than any previous member of the band (himself excepted obviously).

Comment

That makes a bit of sense, having seen them about a dozen times since GB30, I wouldn't say it's an ongoing trend since.

I'd agree about the constant changes, the problem being that all of them except Gedge are essentially session musicians and a couple have left after being unable to be promised more income (with the occasional sacking in there too). DLG must be aware of Charlie's value though, the additional responsibility of being tour manager presumably boosts his pay packet, in addition the touring schedule is worked around his other job. My regular gig buddy would probably stop going to TWP gigs if Layton should ever leave.

Speaking of changing line-ups, I'm off to Honeyblood in Cardiff tonight, 3 albums, 3 different line-ups.

Comment

Two contrasting shows for me over the extended weekend. Friday brought The Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices.. They are probably best known to pop fans from the 1980s 4AD reissue of an album of theirs. They are renowned for achieving eerie vocal effects using traditional open throat singing techniques. What we got was eighteen singers in full folk costume accompanied by a four piece band, Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance and a human beatbox champion. The choir’s sections were all excellent and they combined to great effect with Gerrard’s richer tones. Some of the filler while they were offstage was less memorable (Balkan tinged jazz funk runs, a solo spot for the beatboxer), but it was all entertaining and greeted warmly by an enthusiastic crowd. The Queen Elizabeth Hall at the Southbank Centre worked well as a venue, whereas it can be a bit sterile for pop shows.

Last night I went to see returning riot grrrl heroes Bikini Kill at Brixton Academy. Kathleen Hanna is a fantastic performer and was on great form. Musically I prefer her later bands, Le Tigre and The Julie Ruin, but this was a great run through the BK catalogue of catchy ‘90s US punk tunes. The band swapped instruments several times, more to encourage people through their lack of virtuosity than to show off. Drummer Tobi Vail’s vocal spots were good and bassist Kathi Wilcox was a cool anchor. The band clearly mean a lot to many people in the audience and there was a huge amount of energy in the room.

Comment

Sunday is my first gig of the year, if you can call it such. We're off to see The Horne Section at RFH.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X