No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night's entertainment was Michael Rother at Under The Bridge, the nightclub at Stamford Bridge. The ex-Neu/Harmonia/Kraftwerk man played a good selection from his catalogue and his second solo album Sternthaler in full. The performance had a harder rock edge than on the records which wasn't always a good thing; there were points where his colleagues seemed to have decided to play April Skies and She's Lost Control rather than the tunes to hand. Support came from Thurston Moore. People were literally stroking their chins while listening to his not entirely exciting guitar textures and washes.

Comment

Oh God, he played an avant garde i.e. tuneless jazz set at the Mascara Bar a couple of years back.

Comment

Was at a small gig last night supporting new bands, support band were two young brothers aged 20 and 16 playing guitar and drums, they were decent and enthusiastic but it was hard to enjoy some of their slower songs because of the gang of ignorant pricks and their girlfriends talking and laughing loudly throughout the set, said pricks turned out to be the main act, a gang of laid back 70s hippies. I'd turned against them because of their behaviour so it wasn't that hard to dislike them.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
          Was at a small gig last night supporting new bands, support band were two young brothers aged 20 and 16 playing guitar and drums, they were decent and enthusiastic but it was hard to enjoy some of their slower songs because of the gang of ignorant pricks and their girlfriends talking and laughing loudly throughout the set, said pricks turned out to be the main act, a gang of laid back 70s hippies. I'd turned against them because of their behaviour so it wasn't that hard to dislike them.
          I hoped you talked loudly, non stop through the hippies act. Ignorant barstewards.

Comment

Ignored the twats, they really weren't any good, DJ set after was good though.

Comment

Were these young hippies or original vintage ones who had taken a long time to get their shit together enough to leave the house?

Comment

Young hippies, looked like young hipsters to be honest, the two young lads in the first band said "here's a song you'll all know "and played T Rex "twentieth century boy " I'm 55 and I was 8 when that was released!

Comment

I enjoyed Laura Gibson as much as I'd expected, accompanied by Beatrice (didn't catch surname) on backing vocals and viola/violin (can't tell the difference, I admit). Frau imp: Didn't she used to have some more upbeat stuff on her earlier records? Me: No. Frau imp: Well, I considered killing myself half way through, then decided against it.

Youngest impette came along - the last time we'd been to a gig together was to see Taylor Swift in Cologne in 2015. She pronounced it "good", but wouldn't be drawn any further.
                  Last edited by imp; 08-05-2019, 06:37. Reason: error noticed one month later

Comment

I went to see Twin Temple at the Lexington last night. They bill themselves as a satanic doo-wop band which is fairly accurate although the excellent lead singer is female so the sound is more reminiscent of an early '60s girl group. This fits well with all the songs being about the devil, unsuitable boyfriends being a major preoccupation of The Marvelettes et al. The show was very polished and included various magicky props and audience participation which added to the slightly surreal effect, as did front woman Alexandra James' generally upbeat and cheery demeanour. She and husband Zachary were sporting fetching Nudie cloak and suit adorned with leaping red Lucifers. They played for an hour, running through excellent debut album Bring You Their Signature Sound...Satanic Doo-Wop, which felt about right. Overall a very entertaining performance.

Comment

Went to Robyn at Alexandra Palace on Friday. I get the impression that people in London hate going there cos it's a bit of a hike and it's a bit of a hanger. I however love it, the views are great, there's plenty of food and drink options and provided you get relatively close to the stage and don't stand round outside yakking to your mates until just before, the view and sound are fine. Far rather that than yet another Academy.

Not that we had much choice in the matter, apart from the festival at Cornbury, this and the following night in the same venue were the only two dates in the UK. Both nights were sold out, circa 20,000 tickets when her last couple of London dates were (separate, single dates) at Brixton and the Roundhouse.

Anyhow she had the audience in the palm of her hand from the off, hanging on every facial expression change and awkward dance move. Leant slightly too heavily on the new album for my liking (eight tracks) and could have made room for a couple of poppier oldies, but churlish to complain, it was a brilliant show.

Comment

I've been to two fab gigs in three days:

Giuda at the 100 Club, which Benjm will review in meticulous and witty detail for you, any moment.

Richard Hawley at EartH in Dalston tonight. God, he's wonderful. Perfect musicianship. He has a different guitar for each song. Band included violins and horns, and two drummers at one point (there's an idea!).

Comment

Brief moment of panic there...he's playing two shows in Dalston, right? I have a ticket for tonight. And very much looking forward to it. He is wonderful indeed. So many of my favourite songs that I hope he'll play.

Comment

Terrorvision last Friday night at SWSX in Bristol. Decent venue. Got shoved by some very fat twats who pushed in front right at the start of the a Terrorvision set. Wound up at the back by the bar which was still enjoyable and better for Mrs Thistle anyway.

They played their entire second album in order as it was the 25th anniversary tour then came back out for a selection off their other albums.

Enjoyable but gig-twats are putting me off gigs.

Comment

Robert Forster and Band at the Zoom in Frankfurt last night - terribly cramped nightclub venue with most views obscured by stanchions, so just before the start we eased right down to the front where the balding old-fart crowd was quite loosely assembled. I was completely free of any kind of low-grade recreational drugs in my system for a concert for the first time since God knows when (ever?). Amazingly, this didn't affect my enjoyment of a cracking concert, which provoked a six-song, double encore, with a perfect mix of new and old material. Forster's like a benevolent but slightly grumpy uncle who gradually comes out of himself as the evening progresses. I've seen him here before playing an acoustic set, but both his solo and the old Go-Betweens songs sound a hundred times better with the full band treatment.

Magnificently, they played my all-time Go-Betweens favourite 'The Clarke Sisters'. Usually I get rapidly bored applauding and leave it to others, and find encores a tedious ritual, but last night I'd have happily had the band back a dozen more times. He looked genuinely surprised and very grateful for the audience response. This ranks somewhere in my all-time top 10 gigs of a lifetime.

Comment

ALright, looks like I am going to see Tropical Fuck Storm tonight with my lovely mate. Here they are - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jxKD7X7pw

Comment

Excellent. Have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                    Giuda at the 100 Club, which Benjm will review in meticulous and witty detail for you, any moment.
                                    HEY!

Nothing else need be said.

Hope dm had a whale of a time.

Comment

Well we were really late getting out and had to get a cab, but this was actually great cos we arrived about a minute into TFS' set, when they were just splurging psychedelic effects unit sounds. It's many years since I'd been to Dingwalls, but I was quickly accustomed to its not-great, not-terrible aircraft hangar acoustics, and T (who'd never been to a rock gig before) fucking loved how the bass came up through the floor. TFS did nicely harsh and messy versions of their songs and it was all great barring a bit of a jostle for T (tribulations of short women at gigs part 393333) - again the late arrival worked to our advantage as we could seek out a pretty peaceful spot on the edge at the back. Dingwalls staff were very nice too. This is the first gig I'd been to for about six years and despite the buildup I didn't feel anxious at all and nor did T apart from that brief moment. Feeling very good at bouncing back from the dep to do something fun.

Comment

So, so chuffed for you that it all went so smoothly and that you had a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Terrorvision last Friday night at SWSX in Bristol. Decent venue. Got shoved by some very fat twats who pushed in front right at the start of the a Terrorvision set. Wound up at the back by the bar which was still enjoyable and better for Mrs Thistle anyway.

They played their entire second album in order as it was the 25th anniversary tour then came back out for a selection off their other albums.

Enjoyable but gig-twats are putting me off gigs.
                                          Myself and my brother went to the Terrorvision gig in London last week (and I still have American TV, Stop the Bus and Celebrity Hit List as earworms seven days later as a result) - he's got problems with his hip nowadays, so I got us seats on the balcony instead of our usual standing places.

Turns out sitting's not quite as much fun as standing, but there's waaaaaay fewer aggro wankers in the seats than downstairs. Might just do it again, especially if its the difference between getting to go to gigs with my bro and not.

Comment

I went to Ye Nuns matinee show at the Lexington today. It was so, so good. Lolo stepped it up, and sang as I've not heard before, louder and stronger, and they were all on great form.

No gig twats present. There were quite a lot of children, well-behaved.

I've got Fat White Family at the Forum on Wednesday, which will be a gig-twat fest, so I'm preparing myself to try to be a bit mellow about it.

Comment

FWF didn't disappoint, nor did the audience, twats almost to a man (apart from us).

I thought the playing was a lot tighter than previously. Baxter Dury guested on a couple of songs (I didn't see when he came on or went off).

FUCKING STROBES are the bane of my life, and these were particularly strong, so I had my face buried in my arm for whole songs. Closing your eyes just isn't enough.

Last night, I got given tickets to Theatre of Hate at The Venue. I haven't bothered going to see them since back in the day (when we went to all the early gigs, as my bf was sort of a roadie for them). I took my sunglasses and wore them just in case - the lights weren't particularly strobey but I'm sick of the discomfort.

Absolutely loved it. Kirk's voice is pretty amazing and ToH should be mentioned in the post-punk thread if they aren't already, as nobody else was doing that, or has sounded quite like that ever since. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but Original Sin is a love song like no other.

So that's a great run of gigs I've had.

Comment

Belatedly, what NS said to delicatemoth.

Comment

Just bought tickets for Robyn Hitchcock, Jonathan Wilson and Maisha at Kendal Brewery over the next month or two. Some very decent stand up at the venue too this year (seen Mark Watson and Rachel Parris recently). Great to see the booking agent really giving it a go and I'm delighted to support a local theatre.

Comment

The Proclaimers last night at Sydney Opera House: fantastic. The boys' voices as strong and clear as ever, backed by a really tight 4-piece band (amazing drummer). True to form, there wasn't a huge amount of chat, but they seem to really enjoy it, and care about giving a good show. Highlights: Sunshine On Leith and Streets Of Edinburgh off the latest album, which gave me goosebumps.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but they're certainly mine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X