No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Ant has just announced a 'Friend or Foe' UK tour in November.

I find it amusing that A Man Called Marco is one of the tracks he'll be performing. Fortunately it's an instrumental with some backing vocals and whistling on. Maybe he can stand there making wanker signs while Will does the twang guitar.

Comment

MASSIVE ATTACK

They were brilliant Horace Andy and Liz Fraser joined them. High spots: Angel, Teardrop, Risingson and Bela Lugosi's Dead. Other cover tracks which I recognised as samples but don't know the names of and haven't looked up (yet). Speaking of Adam Ant (!) they acknowledge his Dirk album as an influence and that "love you love you love you" bit in Angel sounds to me straight from Tabletalk. I wish they'd cover it.

Visuals were quite stunning, literally for me as I can't do strobes and get flicker vertigo even from fast moving projections. However, I was able to appreciate more than half of them.

As noted on the Mundane Thread, I have a streaming cold, which I blame on being frozen half to death waiting in the drizzle for the shuttle bus, I should have put more clothes on. I bought a tshirt thinking it would be an extra layer on the way home, and I dropped it in a puddle. Should have bought a hoodie, and worn it.

There were the usual big gig annoyances, and I saw a review asking whether MA had "pranked us" a la Banksy. This particular reviewer was cross at the 'Orwellian' herding and organised queues, which I was grateful for as it meant I got a fair turn at the bar and getting onto the bus (eventually), and cross at the lack of engagement - no encore, no "HOW YOU FEELING BRISTOL??", which I didn't miss. As far as I'm concerned, the aching, burning soul in the music is connection enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
        Maybe he can stand there making wanker signs while Will does the twang guitar.
        Is that the nature of the relationship these days.

Comment

It’s been worse than that.

Comment

I went to see Arthur and Martha in Islington on Saturday - pleasingly ricketty homemade synthpop played by a duo reuniting after ten years for a one-off performance. The music was splendid if you like that sort of thing - I very much do - while the small audience was made up to a significant degree of men well into their 50s who had taken the opportunity to dig out their make-up. All in all, great fun.

Comment

Olafur Arnalds last Tuesday - tranced out into a semi-slumber at least three times (with no recreational stimuli), but in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Going to see her in early April. Let us know if she's in good form.

On Monday I saw Nils Frahm for the second time in a year at the Alte Oper. He played 40 minutes longer than last time (2 hours 20 minutes in total - not that it's a competition), and was just mesmerisingly brilliant, even more than last time. Very funny bloke too, whose philosophy on encores chimes with mine - something along the lines of: "I'm not going to bother going off and coming back on, I'm just going to play a couple more compositions and then you can send me off and the lights will come on."

Pantha du Prince called off tomorrow night, which is a shame as I kept missing him in DC, where he seemed to be almost a regular. Olafur Arnalds next Tuesday.
                She was really good. There's a review of her Glasgow gig on the Americana UK website.

Hugely impressive in fact. No band but a loop station came in handy for a couple of songs. Sounded great stripped down to the bare bones - even more sparse than on record.

Comment

Off to see Lydia Lunch does Suicide on Saturday, at Oslo in Hackney.

Comment

I've got tickets to see The Lounge Kittens next week. I saw them support Jaret Reddick a couple of years ago and they amuse me a lot. Plus it's at my favourite Cardiff venue, The Globe.

Mrs Thistle has booked us tickets to see Terrorvision in May. It will be about 24 years since we first went to see them.It's in Bristol at a venue I don't know. Not the O2 Academy, though, thank gawd.

Debating whether to go see Garbage in Cardiff in July. Reasons not to: a) they weren't that great when I saw them last year, b) it's almost Ł40 a ticket, c) the venue is rubbish - the Great Hall in the Student's Union. Not a Ł40 a ticket venue by anyone's stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Adam Ant’s North American tour dates have been announced.

Comment

I've booked to see New Order in Bristol in July. I have to scratch the itch every time they do the rounds and it is the only non-festival UK date among their summer engagements. They will probably announce a free show at the end of my road now.

Last night was supposed to be Ill playing in the Elgar Room at the Albert Hall, but by the early evening I was damp, tired and not in the mood so blew it out, went home and watched Midsomer Murders instead.

Comment

Lydia Lunch’s gig was short, but very intense. Loved her version of Dream Baby Dream. She came onstage around 8.50, and was off less than an hour later.

Would have liked one more ‘tune’ but it was fine. Was home by 10.

Comment

It is good when performers don't outstay their welcome. The more intense the experience is, the greater the risk of diminishing returns setting in after a certain point.

That 'one more tune' has put me in mind of Massive Attack's cover of Light My Fire.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post

She was really good. There's a review of her Glasgow gig on the Americana UK website.

Hugely impressive in fact. No band but a loop station came in handy for a couple of songs. Sounded great stripped down to the bare bones - even more sparse than on record.
                              Cheers - looking forward to it.

Comment

Saw Mark Morriss (Bluetones) do an acoustic set on Friday. Small venue, less than 200 folk. Front row seats. Excellent concert. Great banter with the audience. Third time I've seen him and each time he's brilliant. Here's Slight Return, an oldie, but a goodie, from the Bluetones.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-3UpL6MkZ0

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                  Sharon van Etten was absolutely superb at Vicar Street last night. She played pretty much everything off Remind Me Tomorrow. "Hands", an album standout, was transformed into this wild, heavy and almost metal expression of desire and lust. "Stay" sounded haunting and opener "Jupiter 4" was like stepping into another world. Her voice is incredible and her co-vocalist and keyboardist (whose name I missed but who van Etten referred to as "my Emmylou") isn't far behind. Devoted crowd too.
                                  I went to the Glasgow date last night and read your report just before I left. Third time I've seen her and, while she was great on the last tour, it really was a gear change this time around and the level of intensity in the new material (particularly when she was just singing and not playing guitar/keyboards) was high. The keyboardist is Heather Woods Broderick and she has her own material too.

Comment

Now wishing I was going to see SvE at the Roundhouse tomorrow. Unfortunately a none-more-rock'n'roll scheduling issue sees me taking my mother-in-law out for a birthday dinner then.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Mrs Thistle has booked us tickets to see Terrorvision in May. It will be about 24 years since we first went to see them.It's in Bristol at a venue I don't know. Not the O2 Academy, though, thank gawd.
                                      SWX. It's a nightclub, been to a few gigs there it's quite a good gig venue.

Comment

After a barren January, I attended my first gig of the year on Feb 28th - The Travis Waltons, who have been knocking around the Bristol scene for a while without really kicking on, which is a shame because I think they're great.

March has been a busier time. James were great in Bath, supporting themselves with an acoustic set. Then last week I saw Desperate Journalist, who are going to be huge, supported by the wonderful She Makes War. The following night I saw HMHB at Cardiff Tramshed.

Later this week I will be seeing Glenn Tilbrook playing a solo gig in Bath.

Comment

I actually didn't go to the Lounge Kittens in the end because it was the day after my dad died and I was up looking after my mum. First time I've ever not gone to a gig I've had tickets for.

Comment

On Friday I attended The End festival at Cecil Sharp House in Camden - eleven acts in three rooms across the evening. It was a bit odd.

I assume for reasons of noise limitation they had the rockier bands in one of the smaller basement spaces, but this then meant a violin and cello duo were in the main hall, which they couldn’t fill either with their sound or with the number of people who wanted to see them. Then there were the tech problems that caused immediate over-runs and scheduling fuck-ups.

But my favourites epic45 were lovely and a characteristic of the event proved to be some great drumming, not only by the epics’ James Yates but also Chris Ryan of the Robocobra Quartet and the fabulous Amanda Dal of Nova Hall - whom I snapped in a small downstairs room at the start of the evening.

Last edited by Furtho; 31-03-2019, 07:52.

Comment

I went to see Idles in Brighton on Friday night. It was at the Dome, which is a decent mid sized venue. Everyone else that I went with thought they were great but it left me slightly cold. Not sure why but I'm happy to accept that it was me, not them.

Comment

Just acquired tickets to see Raul Midón this Tuesday in Le Carré Belle-Feuille, on the last day of our mini trip to Paris.

Comment

I'd love to see epic45.

Was at James Yorkston on Tuesday night - playing solo with his beautiful and sad acoustic songs, intervening with a couple of shaggy anecdotes and some swearing about Brexit. "My new album's out, it's exactly like all the other ones." Which actually translates as - it's as brilliant as all the other ones. Any love for him on this board?

Comment

I saw his Christmas solo show at the Lexington last year. He was very much on top of his game. He seemed to really enjoy playing with the YTK trio and I think it has had a revitalising effect on his own work.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X