The Big Gig Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Gig Thread 2019

It is almost departure time for a weekend in the wind scoured dystopia that is out of season Bognor Regis. The event is Rockaway Beach, one of the music weekends that Butlins put on to fill their resorts (sounds cheerier than camps) at less busy times. The fare on offer includes Gary Numan, Echo & The Bunnymen, Barry Adamson, Luke Haines & Art Brut. This is unlikely to be consistent with a dry January, which it has been so far but only by default rather than design.

I'm trying not to book too many shows months in advance this year, due to finding an overfilled events diary increasingly stressful, but waiting in the future are Sink Ya Teeth, Ill, Massive Attack, Idles, ACR and Twin Temple. That's across five months so not too oppressive a schedule.

Massive Attack in Bristol is my next big one, might see some local gigs before then.
    I’m going to sell my London ticket if anyone is interested.

Comment

I've got Youth Code/HEALTH, Blanck Mass/Daughters, and Mortiis tickets bought for contemporary stuff and then tickets for Mahler's Seventh and Ninth, as well as Shostakovich's Eighth (and possibly a ballet of his as well) for the older stuff.

Comment

I start back on Monday at Architects with my son (who has a tattoo of the band logo, fair to say he's looking forward to it). Then later in the month the obligatory Massive Attack (at Glasgow), then Frank Turner in Dumfries and Enter Shikari with my son (who has a tattoo of the band logo, fair to say he's looking forward to it).

Comment

^ Rockaway Beach looks like fun. That I will miss!

First gigs this year;
          Fallen Women - Lexington
          Pip Blom - St Albans
          Trail of Dead - Oxford
          Art Brut - Oxford
          Kaelan Mikla - Electrowerks

Comment

Any plans to take the mic at The Fallen Women, ISP?

Comment

There's a bit of me that really thinks I could go and give something a really good go...maybe Step S'ways or Garden or something.....thankfully it's a small bit.

Comment

The Fallen Women hosted a Bowie karaoke yesterday, I meant to go along and might have been tempted to sing at that.

I may go to the Lexington but no singing from me.

Comment

Looking a bit ahead, I'm going to see evilC-friendly synthpoppers Arthur & Martha reunited for a one-off show at the Islington on 2nd March.

Comment

Got tickets for the Interrupters in June and the Cure in July, Fontaines DC and The Murder Capital are both due to play in the spring, they're quickly becoming the hottest property on the Dublin scene, I think Murder Capital are supporting Idles on their UK tour so it's worth your while getting there early Benjim.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                      I think Murder Capital are supporting Idles on their UK tour so it's worth your while getting there early Benjim.
                      Cheers, elg - will do!

I'm just back from Butlins. Great weekend but quite heavy on the liquid refreshments. Spook School and Benin City were the pick of the new bands. Gary Numan was alright and had a huge number of fans just there for him. Echo and The Bunnymen aren't my faves but The Killing Moon was properly spine tingling.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        Got tickets for the Interrupters in June and the Cure in July, Fontaines DC and The Murder Capital are both due to play in the spring, they're quickly becoming the hottest property on the Dublin scene, I think Murder Capital are supporting Idles on their UK tour so it's worth your while getting there early Benjim.
                        The Murder Capital are one night in London on that Idles tour, IIRC.

Comment

Looks like Crows are the Brighton support.

Comment

Going to see the wonderful Songhoy Blues in Kendal on Tuesday.

However an even bigger source of excitement for me is getting tickets for the sublime Cinematic Orchestra in Manchester at the end of March. I can't offhand think of any post - millenium music that I have enjoyed more than CO but this will be my first time seeing them live.

Comment

Going to see Teleman and am being taken to see Martha Tilston, both at the Junction in Cambridge in April. Also likely to attend The End Festival at Cecil Sharp House on 29th March -- mainly because my pals epic45 are playing.

Comment

Been a quiet start to 2019 for me, although that changes this week as I make IVW my bitch, with 5 gigs in 6 nights, starting tonight with Public Service Broadcasting at the Adelphi. No, really.

Comment

Bad timing last night meant that we just caught three of Pete Williams’ songs last night. An unplugged set at the Groucho. He really is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
                                    Been a quiet start to 2019 for me, although that changes this week as I make IVW my bitch, with 5 gigs in 6 nights...
                                    Strong scheduling, there, FS. If I tried to go to five in six nights the fifth would probably have to double as my wake, the fourth possibly as a benefit for my medical fees.

I added Michael Rother to my bookings list earlier today but the next thing on the calendar is Ill at the Hope and Anchor a week on Saturday.

Comment

Abou Diarra last night at the Brotfabrik. Outstanding gig to kick off my 2019 calendar. He managed to impress and animate a crowd of mainly over-50 Germans, which takes some doing.

Comment

Busy week. First report is from the Massive Attack gig at Glasgow on Monday. No support, relatively early start (advertised as 8.30 but eventually 8.45) and longish show. Very absorbing set, good linking of the paranoid feel of the music from the 1990s with changes in technology and society - said to my son at one point "it's basically Banksy: The Live Concert Tour isn't it" and he was thinking the same. Won't spoil for those attending later shows but a couple of well placed covers, apparently chosen because MA sampled the originals on the album - one in particular brought a big smile to my face (paradoxically). Looking on setlist.fm the next day more than half the set was either "live debut" or "first performance since 1999" or similar, but you wouldn't know it - very slick.

Wednesday was Pete(r) Doherty in Carlisle. solo. I'd been tipped off a couple pof hours before and told not to put it on Facebook or whatever, that Carl Barat had arrived and was guesting. So we had a one hour set, with Barat coming out towards the end (to a huge welcome, and evidently the secret had been well kept) for a few songs, then we assumed it would be a two song encore - instead we got another hour with Barat staying out for most of it and the pair of them suggesting songs to each other and going on past the curfew.

Last night was Dumfries for Frank Turner's (solo) appearance at the Big Burns Supper. Very professional event management (better than we're used to in Border TV land) and good show, very engaging (I've seen him a few times before, but not quite that close up). Highlight of sorts was him doing a Frightened Rabbit cover dedicated to his late friend Scott Hutchison, during which he was visibly welling up.

Tomorrow after returning from Crewe I'm going to see a local ukulele covers band who I've seen before and are great fun, Monday it's Enter Shikari with the young 'uns.

I realise my cred descended rapidly after that first paragraph, but y'know, broad church and all that.

Comment

YOAV at the Brotfabrik last night, his first live gig in years as he's been building a 'toy box' - effectively allowing him to to reproduce his records solo by tapping out effects and rhythms on his acoustic guitar and looping them through said toy box. Just fucking brilliant from start to finish. Also belatedly realised how much his 2008 debut 'Charmed & Strange' may have influenced The XX's first record a year later.

Comment

My oldest school pal has a Mott the Hoople obsession so is coming up to see them in Gateshead in April.
                                            only problem being he clicked the wrong button, so he is 6 rows back whereas I’m on the 1st tier

Comment

Low last night at the St. Peter's Church. Last time I was here was for Gemma Ray four years ago (see, possibly, Big Gig thread 2015), in a tiny room that I thought would make for an intimate concert. But Low are playing the big room - that is, the church itself, which is in fact a completely modern concert hall with no remnants of religiosity. The whole place is some sort of youth community/small business centre these days, which you can only approve of. There's something rewarding about knocking back gins in church.

Support act: Hilary Woods. Suitably low key and slowcore-familial. "She sounds like Grace Slick after a bottle of codeine," my mate Joe whispered half way through the set. Five songs were enough.

The main act: Last time I saw Low at the Black Cat in DC they were drowned out by fans of support act Pedro the Lion standing at the bar (see, possibly, Big Gig thread somewhere between 2004 and 2011) and I stormed out in a huff. The sound here in church is much better, but there are still wankers talking everywhere. We keep moving to avoid them. Low - the band you can talk along to. One intense punter confronts two Lads who are having quite the chat, and they duly shut the fuck up. He was very direct about it, which is the usual native way of confronting an annoyance.

I do like Low a lot, even though you can quickly become familiar with the structure and pace of any given composition. But that's their sound, and it's like nothing else on earth, and so are the songs once they've been coaxed out of the quiet/noise. 7/10.

Comment

This may or may not work - as mentioned went to Enter Shikari with son and his mates and opted for safety near the mixing desk and let him get on with it near the front, providing this opportunity to capture him on his mates shoulders, helping up a stranger doing the same next to them. He's the one on the right.

Comment

That's a great pic which he will treasure.

Teenage Fanclub on the 15th at the Metro. Could well be the last time now Gerard Love has left.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X