No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shellac tonight, who I have never seen live and looking forward immensely.
    Never heard of the support band, Beige Palace, but they sound interesting.
    Pity I will have to remain relatively sober for more last gig of the year, as I have an early 8.30am meeting in the morning!

Has been a great year for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
      Last night I went to see tribute act Absolute Bowie in West Kensington. It was for a pre-Christmas meet up so DB, even in tribute form, was a more popular choice than trying to get ten people to agree on a contemporary act. The band are very tight and convincing, having been at it for ten years with Bowie as their sole subject. They are clearly still great fans of his despite it being the day job, so to speak. Some of the attention to detail in the staging is so precise that it is almost comical, without in any way detracting from the enjoyability of the show.
      Yay! They were great when we went.

I loved Adam's gig on Thursday, just overshadowed by the election results when I got home.

Last gig of an extensive tour.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
        I loved Adam's gig on Thursday, just overshadowed by the election results when I got home.
        That scheduling clash is yet another entry in the black book for when the day of reckoning comes.

I'm going to three of Giuda's dates in January; both Lexington nights and a bonus run up to Manchester earlier in the week. I picked up a stomping related injury at their November show so will have to investigate shock absorbing insoles before then.

Comment

Hey! I think I bought tickets for just one night at the Lex.

Comment

Went to see the wonderful Fat White Family a couple of weeks ago and they were great again.

However a big plus for the evening was the excellent support band Working Men's Club for whom I predict a bright future. I would have no surprise now to see them split in January.

Comment

Final show of the year last night (unless Fall karaoke counts) was Marc Almond and the Loveless at the 100 Club. This is MA's occasional small band, done entirely for fun, with him, his musical director Neal X, and Iggy Pop's bassist and drummer, augmented with a keyboard player, saxophone and trumpet. The set was partly fan favourites from Marc's solo career plus a lot of glam and rock songs that he loved as a teen in the seventies; New York Dolls, Bowie, Sweet, T Rex, Johnny Thunders, Deep Purple(!) and some comparative obscurities. Other highlights included a festive singalong Sex Dwarf and former Sputnik Neal running through Love Missile F1-11. Marc was in great voice and is always a winningly self-deprecating performer, the band were clearly having a great time and a friendly crowd gave them a great reception. A good night.

Comment

Fall karaoke?

Comment

Yes, at The Lexington in London with all-female backing band The Fallen Women. They've been doing it as an occasional thing for a few years now, mostly at The Lex but with a couple of shows outside London too. I'll be there more for the atmosphere rather than to do a turn. MsD knows the band members, I think.

http://thelexington.co.uk/event.php?id=960

Comment

Wish I could be there.I do a great New Face in Hell in the shower.

Comment

If I tried to sing on stage it'd be like one of those cartoons about baby dragons who haven't mastered fire breathing yet, a feeble 'put...'* followed by a swift dash for the exit.

* - or a feeble 'Putta Block' in this instance.

Comment

You'd be no better or worse than a whole 30+ years' worth of Fall backing singers.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                          Final show of the year last night (unless Fall karaoke counts) was Marc Almond and the Loveless at the 100 Club. This is MA's occasional small band, done entirely for fun, with him, his musical director Neal X, and Iggy Pop's bassist and drummer, augmented with a keyboard player, saxophone and trumpet. The set was partly fan favourites from Marc's solo career plus a lot of glam and rock songs that he loved as a teen in the seventies; New York Dolls, Bowie, Sweet, T Rex, Johnny Thunders, Deep Purple(!) and some comparative obscurities. Other highlights included a festive singalong Sex Dwarf and former Sputnik Neal running through Love Missile F1-11. Marc was in great voice and is always a winningly self-deprecating performer, the band were clearly having a great time and a friendly crowd gave them a great reception. A good night.
                          Last gig of the year last night for me too (had another lined up but it was cancelled), Self Esteem doing a 'stripped back' show upstairs in YES, Manchester (which I'd never been to before). Being solo and sober in a city centre on (insert whatever your local name is for it) Friday is little fun so I wandered only as far as I needed to, to get pre-gig food. Great show, the format emphasising the emotions in the songs and while I'm not usually fussed about 'stage patter' she has a good rapport with her audience.

Think I made 40-42 stand alone gigs this year, bit of anxiety in September when I nearly clocked up a full calendar month without one, but got to one on the 30th that had been touch and go due to son's work rota. Plus three full festivals and a day at Download. Next year is filling up gradually but with the kids now older and busier, and with one able to drive and the other planning to before long, I'm called on less for chauffeuring/chaperoning these days and am more focused on my own stuff.

Comment

Ha, I sang How I Wrote Elastic Man on stage when I was 16. They pulled the plugs on us.

Comment

I can't find any evidence of a Big Gig Thread 2020-21-22-23, is this a COVID thing or have I missed it/them?

I went to see Kraftwerk last night so could just put it here, or start a new one if anyone has any tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X