Bands with reputations lessened by subsequent solo careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Just to muddy the waters with MacGowan, is there any truth to the "two queens and a drum machine" line he was alleged to have said when Always On My Mind got the Christmas no. 1?
    Yes, but it's the sort of joke a lot of non-homophobes might make.

He was a rent boy in his teens, I just checked that that was public knowledge before posting. My friend went out with Spider Stacy in the late 70s to late 80s, so although I don't really know Shane, I know a fair bit about him and a bigot he is not. I've never seen any utterances from him that seemed malicious, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      How about solo artists whose careers have been enhanced after being in mediocre bands and then striking out on their own? Enhanced not necessarily in financial terms but in artistic ones. My brain's not working too well at the moment so I can't name anyone off the top of my head.
      'Mediocre" narrows the field a lot because any talented individual should make a band at least goodish. There a more examples of people having excellent solo careers after being in goodish groups or duos - Paul Simon, Van Morrison, George Michael, Michael Jackson.

Comment

Fair point; let's widen the field. I'm not sure that Simon's solo work, though, outclasses what he did with Garfunkel, though you could possibly argue that harmonies apart, he was already sort of a solo artist.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
          Richard Hawley is another one that springs to mind.
          I love Richard Hawley's solo work, absolutely love his voice. Saw him play with Duane Eddy, and that was special.

I'm going to see Pete Williams (ex Dexy's) this week; from checking his work on YouTube, it looks pretty good. The person I'm going with is already a big fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Fair point; let's widen the field. I'm not sure that Simon's solo work, though, outclasses what he did with Garfunkel, though you could possibly argue that harmonies apart, he was already sort of a solo artist.
            And it's not like Art's solo career was unsuccessful either, albeit his peak was far briefer.

Comment

His voice was so lovely he could have sung anything at his peak. Even a song about rabbits.

Comment

I can't hear Bright Eyes without picturing Harry Hill's glowing demonic eyes.

Comment

I was just hearing I Only Have Eyes For You in my head and thinking it was about rabbits.

Comment

My favourite Art moment is the ethereal "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh, here I am" on The Only Living Boy In New York.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                      I can't hear Bright Eyes without picturing Harry Hill's glowing demonic eyes.
                      I always get that kid in the suit on Tiswas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        My favourite Art moment is the ethereal "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh, here I am" on The Only Living Boy In New York.
                        It's an amazing piece of production for the time. Makes me think "How did they get such a delicate sound with that technology?"
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-01-2019, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
                        X