Best start to a gig ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect metal bands might win this but the dry ice, fags and ugly threads have all reminded me of this

Empty stage apart from an actual Iron Fist and some dry ice. This song plays with no band to be seen. Then they descend from the roof on a stage on hydraulics. Unfortunately, there is only a slight bit of this on this clip.

If I hadn't already been sold on ver metal in general and Motorhead in particular, this would have done it.

I think the curtained entrance is a lost art. I'm tired of the band trickling in from the side. Kraftwerk do it nicely: curtain across, lit from behind, casting silhouettes, opening bars of song playing.

As seen here.

Comment

In front of an audience of 80,000 people at Zaire 74, this intro has to be up there.

This man will make your liver quiver... this man will make your bladder splatter... this man will freeeeeze your kneeeees... If you will, let's all welcome the world's godfather of soul, soul brother number one, Jaaayyyyyyyymes Brown! James Brown! James Brown!.

And then that performance of 'The Payback'. Wow.

Comment

Also, check out that mic stand control at around 2:23. And the intro he gives to 'Cold Sweat'. 'I can't do that. The best of James Brown... is yet to come!'

Why the fuck didn't I go and see him in Bristol when I had the chance?! What a fool I was.

Comment

Working...
        X