Fogs, man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fogs, man

Smoke machines, an essential prerequisite in both metal and goth concert performance.

Who were it's prime exponents, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission or Fields of the Nephilim?

Dry ice was something different wasn't it? The stuff that produced a carpet of smoke like they used on TotP but didn't fill the air.

I've pushed it too far, haven't I? I can't even be bothered to find any photos.

Fogs, man

I am sure you were there with me, Harry, but Fields of the Nephilim filling up the Marquee with smoke, playing some Ennio Morricone as an intro and then coming out of the dressing that had bright red lights coming out of it was the best use I can think of.

Dry ice is more Dio, Sabbath, Motorhead, isn't it. Any at Rush the other night?

I have some mates in a band who have a smoke machine and they have found smoke that smells of strawberries and whatnot.

Comment

Fogs, man

I once saw Fields Of The Nephilim play halfway up the bill on the main stage at Reading, in broad daylight. They tried to get a bit of a fog going, but there was a light sideways breeze blowing which sent the smoke across the stage in a narrow plume. Carl McCoy kept shuffling around to try and position himself in its path. Pitiful.

Comment

Fogs, man

I think I found a photo of that on my fruitless search for pics actually, I'm sure I was there too.

Ah no, different festival but same pitiful effect;

Comment

Fogs, man

Not quite the Sound of Philadelphia, but thePhiladelphia Flyers knew a thing or two about fog effects.

Comment

Fogs, man

I saw Spiritualized in NYC in the late nineties, and it was by far the most smoke-machine-befogged show I've ever seen. You could barely see the person standing next to you. I'm sure it was a city code violation, somehow.

Good show, though, and the artificial fog looked really cool with the stage lights and lasers shining through it.

Comment

Working...
            X