Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fugees, man

I still look back on them fondly.

Lauryn Hill's last decade or so must be one of the most shocking wastes of talent (especially based on 'The Miseducation...') in recent music history.

Fugees, man

I can't believe this took two whole days to appear.

Also agree with you about Ms. Hill.

Comment

Fugees, man

I only heard one album by them, the one with the black sleeve that sold in the millions. It was fucking awful.

They're also responsible for the Black Eyed Peas.

Comment

Fugees, man

I have an unnatural hatred for them since being kept awake by a bunch of coked-up morons singing "That Thing" at the top of their fucking lungs at 5am on a Sunday morning last summer. It was the crescendo to a night of abject cuntery on balcony caterwauling and floor thudding musical moronism by all concerned.

Comment

Fugees, man

hobbes wrote:
          I have an unnatural hatred for them since being kept awake by a bunch of coked-up morons singing "That Thing" at the top of their fucking lungs at 5am on a Sunday morning last summer. It was the crescendo to a night of abject cuntery on balcony caterwauling and floor thudding musical moronism by all concerned.
          You should have called the police on them.

A few weeks back I witnessed, through my bedroom window, an extremely heated row between two other residents of my apartment complex at a similar hour of the morning. The arseholes in number 11 were having a very noisy all-night party. The guy in number 8, which is directly below 11, got fed up and went up to tell them to quieten down. He went back, then had to return five minutes later because they had kept the music up high. This time he really went for them. Result: ten minutes of great entertainment.

Cannot understand the mentality of cunts who play loud music in the middle of the night. If I ever have friends over for the evening, I make damn sure the volume is down at a very tolerable level.

Comment

Fugees, man

JERSEY, BAYBEE.

Ursus and mayyyyyyybe FF would probably be the only ones who remembers this show, but Vince Scelsa had a very eclectic music show on Sunday nights on K-Rock. The first time I heard of them, for their first album, they only rhymed to Wyclef's acoustic guitar. Once Mr. Fuji was namechecked, and once I found out they were from Jersey, I was hooked.

Oh LA LA LA

Comment

Fugees, man

You should have called the police on them.
              This is Southwark. You'd be lucky if the police turned up within a week.
              The councils noise abatement officers have a 2 hour call out too. In tbe end our concierge cut tbe electricity to their flat. They apparently tried to bribe him with a box of eggs to turn it back on.

Comment

Fugees, man

I went to see Lauryn Hill out of a vague interest with the wife and she was absolutely awesome. It was one of those genuinely great times when you see a great gig from a completely surprise direction. See also Black Eyed Peas as it goes, who I took my son to see.

If you see them as pop acts, they make perfect sense. I have a feeling that they both suffered from being viewed along the same lines as hip hop acts. I like hip hop as much as the next white middle class 44 year old living in the South West but they are pop so don't offend me.

Comment

Fugees, man

Wasn't the That Thing song Lauryn Hill's solo song.

I resent the Fugees just on account of the "one time" thing in "Killing Me Softly". I cannot hear Flack's cover without the intrusion of the Sesame Street-style instruction.

Whatever happened to the guy who wasn't Lauryn Hill or Wyclef Jean?

Comment

Fugees, man

"Ready or Not" is one of my favourite number 1 singles, it's absolutely superb. The Ganja Cru remix takes it to another level entirely and is probably my favourite drum and bass track, I prefer it to Super Sharp Shooter.

Comment

Fugees, man

Pras has a fairly successful start to his solo career and then did the film-making thing for a while and released a couple more solo albums a couple of years back. He has probably doing alright in a non-mental/trying to be president sort of way

Comment

Fugees, man

G.Man wrote:
                        I resent the Fugees just on account of the "one time" thing in "Killing Me Softly". I cannot hear Flack's cover without the intrusion of the Sesame Street-style instruction
                        That's the one I was trying to think of. I remember Richard Madeley having a little rant about it at the time.

The flipside of the Fugees is their use of the classic line "defecating on your microphone", which is still used as an exclamation of triumph every time I and m'lovely wife get one over on each other in some trivial matter.

Comment

Fugees, man

The big thing was that Pras didn't endorse Wyclef during his Presidential run in Haiti. He's also said that he would assassinate Aristide if the former president returned to Haiti.

Comment

Fugees, man

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:

They're also responsible for the Black Eyed Peas.
                            Same manager, fact fans (he was also Meat Loaf's manager, less of a link there).

I share the love of the "like Nina Simone" line but unfortunately pedanty forces me to point out it was "defecating on the microphone". I do hope I haven't spoilt anything chez Mumpo.

Comment

Fugees, man

I also hated The Fugees. Wretched people.

That version of 'Killing Me Softly' was so rank I almost 'wanted' Baddiel & Skinner to stay at number one to spite it.

And The Black Eyed Peas, they can go sit on a bandsaw too.

Comment

Fugees, man

Interesting about the manager, when both groups started really underground, then went 180º aboveground.

Check out Vocab and Nappy Heads by the Fugees, then Fallin Up by the Black Eye Peas to see how they started out.

I hope to hang out with Wyclef one day. Mega Talent.

Comment

Fugees, man

I think it was their booking agent that ruined them

Comment

I will be seeing Lauryn Hill perform live about 5 hours from now. On a ship. In Cozumel, Mexico. She's definitely here because she did a soundcheck this morning. Will report back.

Expectations: her album is a masterpiece but is 25 years old, so who knows? It's apparently one of four concerts she'll do this year for the 25th anniversary.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-05-2023, 18:22.

Comment

On a cruise?

Comment

I was sure this was gonna be about Pras' recent... Uh, unusualness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          On a cruise?
                                          You would think most Fugees would rather not go back on a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            On a cruise?
                                            Tom Joyner soul & hip-hop charter to raise money for historical black colleges and universities. See mundane thread. Can be Googled.

Comment

Lauryn Hill was very good, backed by a band that included two drummers and four keyboard players. She has an excellent vocal range that encompasses rock, soul and hip-hop so she can belt them but also be tender, especially when singing about her children (she also now has two grandchildren). Her outfit was a white suit, hat, platform heels and rather bad wig (clear to us as we were on the deck above looking down from the rear of the stage). Her posture was like Grace Jones (deliberately mannered diva poses) but switching between vocal styles that included an acid rock voice like Grace Slick.

She's also good at directing the band and backing singers, pointing at each person when their solos were due. Very meticulous.

There's no warmth in her act, though. She's performing but maintaining a clear barrier. She was also late, despite the ship having a deadline for when she was supposed to get everybody off (band, family, entourage). Disabled people were very badly treated by the fact that Hill's needs monopolized the lifts, meaning they were stuck on the upper floors for an hour or so both on her arrival and exit.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-05-2023, 03:07.

Comment

Hill's shoes:

Comment

It was one of those genuinely great times when you see a great gig from a completely surprise direction. See also Black Eyed Peas as it goes, who I took my son to see.
                                                  Yeah, Black Eyed Peas were rated very highly as a live act by hip-hop aficionados. And then they went pop and you heard that slightly less often.

Personally, I haven't forgiven Wyclef for screwing up Canibus's first album.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X