Kathy Kirby RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kathy Kirby RIP

not a familiar name to many but to those of us of more seasoned years she will be remembered fondly, not so much for her records, perhaps, they were pretty dire, but for her presence, as we didn't say then.

RIP.

Kathy Kirby RIP

I remember Kathy Kirby making an appearance at Feethams back in 1974 when she brought some much needed glamour to the place.

She’d been invited by Paul Trevillion who had come to Darlo as one of football’s earliest sports psychologists and was out to prove that he could instil a winning mentality into the worst of perennial underachievers. After a few publicity stunts he announced that Darlo would beat Cambridge 5-0 in our next home game.

It is rumoured that he loosened clothes pegs and kept musty old cabbages in the away dressing room before the game but whatever he did, Darlo exceeded expectations and duly beat Cambridge 6-0.

Not such a fun day though for Kathy Kirby as apparently she lost a valuable ring after it fell on the floor in the grandstand and went through a gap in the floorboards and under the stand...

Comment

Kathy Kirby RIP

ShortyMedlocke wrote:
      I remember Kathy Kirby making an appearance at Feethams back in 1974 when she brought some much needed glamour to the place.

She’d been invited by Paul Trevillion who had come to Darlo as one of football’s earliest sports psychologists and was out to prove that he could instil a winning mentality into the worst of perennial underachievers. After a few publicity stunts he announced that Darlo would beat Cambridge 5-0 in our next home game.

It is rumoured that he loosened clothes pegs and kept musty old cabbages in the away dressing room before the game but whatever he did, Darlo exceeded expectations and duly beat Cambridge 6-0.

Not such a fun day though for Kathy Kirby as apparently she lost a valuable ring after it fell on the floor in the grandstand and went through a gap in the floorboards and under the stand...
      So much great stuff in one short post.

Comment

Kathy Kirby RIP

I met her once, in the 80s, at Barry Island Butlins' Festival Of The Sixties. She was a nice lady, very glamorous in the bouffanted, bejewelled way you'd expect someone to be if they were a 60s star who'd reached their mid-40s and they've kept exactly the same look the whole time.

She had a bit of a troubled and colourful life, especially in her later years, if her Wikipedia entry is anything to go by.

To be honest, when she died, I was kind of surprised to learn that she hadn't died years ago.

Comment

Kathy Kirby RIP

My mum is convinced Kirby came on to her in the seventies when she peformed at Porthcawl's nite klub (Kirby, not my mum who worked "backstage").

Comment

Kathy Kirby RIP

Well, Secret Love is a bit of a lesbian anthem.

Comment

Kathy Kirby RIP

I don't think my mum would have realised.

Comment

Working...
              X