Introducing The Band: Suede's first-ever interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little something to whet your appetites for this week's gigs, if you're going...

Direct link to a larger version, if that one's hurting your eyes: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x158/simon_price/SuedePigskinheadsinterview.jpg

I remember this!

I read this at the time and went out and bought The Drowners on the strength of it but I wasn’t that convinced really. The bit about being unable to write a bad B-side had a ring of truth to it I’ll admit, because My Insatiable One and To The Birds (For The Birds?) were both better tunes but there was something missing I thought...

So when they brought Metal Mickey out and it was terrible that was a huge disappointment. The less said about that tune the better, it was easily their worst single although I can’t remember for the life of me how it goes. In some cases the second single is better and more important than the first (Please Please Me, Purple Haze, This Charming Man as eg’s) and this was what I was expecting, and hoping for, with Suede.

After that I kind of decided I didn’t like them. I remember them doing Animal Nitrate on The Brits and being impressed with the spectacle of that but again I just had reservations and I’d gone right off Brett’s voice, it was just pitched slightly too high and nasal.

I admit I decided not to like them in some misguided spirit of contrarianism which is always silly, though in my defence I was still fairly young, so I missed their first concert in Liverpool in a tiny venue even though a few of my mates went to it and raved about it. That was a mistake. I never regretted not following the records though, I was just never blown away by them. Butler was talented, obviously, but I always thought the best record he was involved with by some distance was Yes.

But part of the reason I was never blown away, and I now hold you personally responsible for this SR, was the excessive expectations... no band could possibly live up to being compared, in their first interview, to The Smiths, Bowie, Roxy and T-bleedin-Rex!

Comment

Strangely, also interviewed in this week's Hot Press, interview not put online yet, unfortunately.

Comment

Bloody hell, if The Smiths are getting short shrift on the other thread, Suede have no chance

Comment

Working...
        X