where's the Eurovision thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The semi-finals have killed the competition a bit for me, there's nothing totally out there or unbelievably crap in the final anymore. I like Eurovision, but in a once-a-year-Saturday-night-in kind of way and don't want to watch the semis.

Comment

Me too, the element of surprise is all.

It has raised the "standard", which is not where the fun is.

Still enjoyed what I saw of it despite my boys losing.

Comment

Linus: ?

Comment

I think linus was wondering just how much earlier it could be shifted without running into other problems.

That said, my take is that the large audiences (Germany, for instance) are a very different demographic, and fueled by alcohol, which accounts for the current timing.

Comment

I think an hour earlier would be fine, no? 7-10.30pm for countries BST, 8-11.30 for CET, 9-12.30 for this time zone (Turkey/Greece/Baltics/Rom/Bul etc), and 10-1.30 for Moscow time. It's not ideal but it's got to be better.

Comment

Today's Metro trying to claim Azerbaijan as a home win. She lives in N. London, supports Tottenham and has a degree in Economics, apparently.

I was struck by how close the OTF vote, as summarised in bold by AB back there, chimed with the votes of the me-n-ms-Felicity jury.
              We watched it yesterday, 'cos there was a big night of cultural/drinking action on Tyneside saturday, hence lack of comment earlier (but much applause as usual to the regulars for their commentary).

We always defend/vote for/support the countries that sing in their own language (so we gave Serbia 12, Greece 8, Italy one or two. We drew the line at France for the bizarre attempt to introduce something highbrow (who were the people who made that favourite...?) and Spain, which was embarasssingly cheesy (and if you can say that at Eurovision.,...) and if Slovenia had stuck to their guns and sung in Slovene, they'd be right up there.

Then there's the gratuitous wierdness factor, which meant we gave Moldova 10.

UK votes gave Moldova quite a lot, didn't they? Does that mean that the demographic for the vote is 35-45, left-of-centre, cosmopolitan etc (bit like here, I mean)?

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                Half way through my second litre of Stoli and 7up. Where's Gero?
                Thanks hobbes.

After lying back on my chaise longues to watch Ireland in their full glory (not a good song, but a fabulously funny performance, which I hated at the time) I collapsed under the weight of my own excitement, and several litres of gorgeous Languedoc-Rousillon red, and realised that France were not going to win.

I watched the voting with horror, and was completely overwhelmed with disgust.

Azerbaijan? AZERBAIFUCKINGJAN?

Basically, I was too pissed to type in words of more than one letter, and in no particular ordure.

I mean really?

Comment

Sadly, it looks like you'll have to listen to the Brothers Grimes again next year - clearly, they haven't heard the phrase "overstaying your welcome".

Comment

And Felicity, I made that favourite, because it was the best song in the whole thing, sung by a singer. If it were 1973 (sans video), it would be the BEST song... but that isnt what Eurovision is, any longer.

Which may or may not be a bad thing.

Comment

Diable Rouge wrote:
                      Sadly, it looks like you'll have to listen to the Brothers Grimes again next year - clearly, they haven't heard the phrase "overstaying your welcome".
                      I can see them in 10 years time, in Beijing (who have been let in after much throwing of cash, and phone line voters), trying to dance, with wooden hips.

Comment

Working...
                      X