Ok what about 'best' cover versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and the Flying Burrito Brothers' version of "Wild Horses" is far superior to the Stones'.

Comment

It is difficult to say whether the Flying Burrito Brothers' version is a cover or original. The Stones recorded it before the Flying Burrito Brothers did, but released it only the year after the release of Burrito Deluxe.

Comment

Per quč a la terra wrote:

Does the original have to be shitty? If not, I'm having Dear Prudence and (with apologies for being so predictable) Hurt.
        Johnny Cash could fill a whole thread with superior cover versions. Off the top of my head I can think of three:

On The Evening Train; Sea of Heartbreak; For the Good Times

Comment

Happiness is a Warm Gun by The Breeders

Comment

historyman wrote:

Johnny Cash could fill a whole thread with superior cover versions. Off the top of my head I can think of three:

Very true. The covers on the American Recordings series alone would suffice to fill a whole thread.

Comment

I only really rate cover version that either make an unremarkable original great (e.g. Harry Nilsson's version of Without You) or are wildly different to the original (e.g. Money by The Flying Lizards).

Comment

If we're measuring the greatness of a cover version by the gap in quality between it and the original, then for me the answer is always "Knock On Wood".

The Eddie Floyd original is alright, a so-so, slightly plodding piece of standard Stax soul. But the Amii Stewart version is out of this fucking world. Wagnerian disco madness. Actually sounds like thunder and lightning.

Comment

Very good call.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                    Wagnerian disco madness
                    I like it.
                    See also disc two of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Comment

From around the same time, Blondie were masters of this, except not many people knew they were covers, which I suppose is the trick.

'Denis' is a take on 'Denise' by Randy and the Rainbows, but in a totally different style.

The winner for me, though, is 'Hanging on the Telephone', which was a good, but not outstanding piece of new wave by The Nerves, which Blondie took and blew out of the water.

I'm sticking up for the Beatles' version of 'Twist And Shout' as well.

Comment

I prefer the Motown version.

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                        Oh, and the Flying Burrito Brothers' version of "Wild Horses" is far superior to the Stones'.
                        Jagger's bad American accent takes a bit from the Stones' version, which would otherwise be the better one.

Comment

historyman wrote:
                          Per quč a la terra wrote:

Does the original have to be shitty? If not, I'm having Dear Prudence and (with apologies for being so predictable) Hurt.

Personal Jesus.

Comment

Add Chris Farlowe's Out Of Time to my list.

Comment

A shout here for Edwyn Collins' version of Bowie's The Gospel according to Tony Day

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                If we're measuring the greatness of a cover version by the gap in quality between it and the original, then for me the answer is always "Knock On Wood".
                                On that criterion, I'd have to nominate The Guns of Navarone by The Skatalites.

The original film theme is ponderous and highly forgettable; one it had gone through their ska converter, it became genius.

Comment

Just reminded myself about this one:

'Slow'

Comment

Currently listening to Surgeon's Peter Christopherson tribute mix and feel this thread is worth resurrecting for 'Going Up', Coil's cover of the Are You Being Served? theme.

https://soundcloud.com/dynamic-tensi...herson-tribute

Comment

I generally like a cover that makes me hear the song in a very different way, to the point that the cover doesn't sound like a cover. Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel #2" has a such a specific rhythm and melody that it seems hard to fit the criteria I listed, but damn, Kyle Craft does an amazing cover of this song:

Comment

Do you think I'm sexy? by the Hybrid Kids which was very amusing to one group of 4th years at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                          I generally like a cover that makes me hear the song in a very different way, to the point that the cover doesn't sound like a cover. Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel #2" has a such a specific rhythm and melody that it seems hard to fit the criteria I listed, but damn, Kyle Craft does an amazing cover of this song:

FYC Ever fallen in love & Slits Grapevine tick those boxes in a great way.

Comment

Al Jarreau

Your Somg

Comment

Gimme Gimme Gimme by the Leather Nun. Keeping it Scandinavian.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

FYC Ever fallen in love & Slits Grapevine tick those boxes in a great way.
                                                Well, in the category of finally answering a mystery 6 years later. I remember seeing Future Islands on David Letterman's show 6 years ago and the singers voice reminded me of another singer. It drove me nuts. Not a dead ringer for the Fine Young Cannibals' singer but certainly cousins:

Can't say I'm a Future Islands fan or if the band still exists but he has a good voice.

Comment

I've always thought that he (Sam Herring out of Future Islands) sounded like Elton John with a brain tumour.

Comment

I like his voice. And the band, as it goes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X