Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"First dance" suggestions welcome

Thinking about my wedding next year.

We don't really have an "our song", so we want something that will just click with us both. To put it in context, this will be my second marriage, but my fiancee's first, and I'm eleven years older than her. I've got two daughters from my first marriage, who will be there (they'll be 10 and 9 when we get married). We're also not looking for anything that would demand a proper "performance", we'll both just want something that fits shuffling onto the dance floor and embarrassedly doing that slow circling around holding each other bit, I expect.

All and any suggestions welcome, but please youtube links to songs I may not have heard of, if they're any more obscure than a platinum selling UK number one.

On my first marriage we chose "When I'm sixty four" from Sergeant Pepper. I don't recommend it, mainly because it seemed to be a rather difficult rhythm for a couple of non-dancers to manage not to look shambolic with. Also, of course, the answer to the rhetorical questions in our case, had we only known, would have been "No, I'll have been long divorced from you if we're still alive then".

On my second marriage a couple of years ago we chose Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" which (a) got a roar of amused approval from most of our friends, (b) gave me a chance to do an air guitar solo while my new missus laughed indulgently and (c) was rather more apt than most of those present could have guessed at the time, given my deliberate self-inflicted change in job and income level since then.

Comment

Our first dance song was Just Because by Nikka Costa, which works quite well and we left the reception together to Start Wearing Purple by Gogol Bordello which, again, works very well.

Comment

Ours was "Into My Arms" by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Nice lyrics, easy to shuffle awkwardly to (no dancing aptitude required), but a bit too long (we had to cajole other couples to join us halfway through).

Comment

Ours was "Committed" by Third World, which happily got people dancing once they finished laughing at my moves. The dancing didn't stop until the last people left.

Comment

Why not break with tradition and start with Oops Upside Your Head.

Comment

Why not break with tradition and try this?

Comment

by the way, for a dance-floor filler to have on immediately after your "first dance" song so that there's an instant buzz and everyone's on their feet instead of sitting around in awkward reflection on your moves, you can't do much better than the Scissor Sisters "I Don't Feel Like Dancing".

Comment

I think this song is very Rogin for some reason.

Comment

When all the fuss has died about Abbotabad, you might be onto something there.

Pity the American troops didn't love a party with an atmosphere...

Comment

Kathy and I chose 'Stand By Me'. It was played solo by our friend Dubby on the guitar. We have lived by it since.

You could also consider 'In Spite Of Ourselves' by John Prine...

Comment

"Maybe I'm Amazed" by Wings is almost hitting the mark.

Something like that, but less cheesy?

Comment

Two out of three aint bad?

Help me make it through the night?

The Champions league theme tune?

love the one you're with.

(guess who is playing the music at the wedding of the Supergrass at the end of the month)

Comment

We went with Louis Armstrong's Wonderful World. (All the time in the world seemed like tempting fate.)
                            "Something" by The Beatles was 2nd choice, but we decided to go for something that wasn't a bloke singing about a woman or vice versa as it was for both of us.
                            Of course we only put about 2 minutes thought into it, mind.

Comment

A friend at a recent wedding went with 'Never my love' by the Association.

Comment

Some friends of mine had 'Baby I Love You' by The Ramones, which made a nice change from the usual cheesy fare.

Comment

"Northern Sky" by Nick Drake makes me cry like a girl, so you should probably just go with "Too Drunk To Fuck" by Dead Kennedys.*

*My standard response to this question

Comment

Nothing says I'm going to love you and be with you forever like This

Comment

Barry White - 'My First, My Last, My Everything'

A little upbeat, but suitably celebratory.

Comment

At my ex-partner's wedding, she and her husband (both non-dancers) went for "Lady Bump". She reckons it went down a treat.

A mate of mine claims to have been at a wedding where the happy couple danced to "Margaret On The Guillotine" (it was the bridegroom's choice when he was in a rascalish mood).

As most of the guests were unfamiliar with the song and weren't native English speakers, they didn't pay attention to the lyrics at the beginning. However, at the end, when Morrissey repeats "Make the dream real", there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

If I ever got married, it would be a choice between "Rotting In The Fart Sack" by Peter And The Test Tube Babies or no song, no dance, no wedding and no fuckin' nowt.

Comment

Working...
                                        X