Royal Wedding Number 1s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Wedding Number 1s

It's a well known fact that when Charles and Diana got married in 1981 the number 1 single in the UK was 'Ghost Town' by The Specials.

It captured the time perfectly because behind the paegantry of the occasion Britain's inner cities were smouldering under the burdens of the early years of Thatcherism - another hundred thread titles in itself.

So having lost track of the singles chart years ago, I thought I'd check to see what's number 1 for the royal wedding today.

And it's this

I'm so disappointed. Was there nobody out there in cyberspace trying to organise a campaign along the lines of the Rage Against the Machine campaign from a few years back?

What would make a good number 1 for today?

Royal Wedding Number 1s

D.I.V.O.R.C.E. by Tammy Wynette, though Billy Connolly could do a live version if he's invited to the do.

Comment

Royal Wedding Number 1s

It's all a load of number twos, innit.

There WAS a campaign to get God Save The Queen to No 1 this year but it seems to have fizzled.

It got blasted at Prince William a few months ago, I can tell you.

"Prince Charming" was meant to be out for the Royal Wedding in 1981, and a re-release was considered for this year. That would have been jolly.

"Ghost Town" - brilliant and brilliantly timed.

Comment

Royal Wedding Number 1s

"Prince Charming?" Who was that by again?

Comment

Royal Wedding Number 1s

It was by Adam and the Ants, whose lead singer is about to embark on a major UK tour, and whose co-writer/guitarist has a new album, Married to the Eiffel Tower, released next Monday.

A former drummer of AATA, Dave Barbe aka Barbarossa, will be playing Cargo on 6th May with his band Horse Brothers.

Comment

Royal Wedding Number 1s

For the grotesque twosome's wedding, the #1 single was Papa Don't Preach. The following week it was -- retch -- Lady In Red.

Comment

Royal Wedding Number 1s

I rather like the idea of 'Babalu's Wedding Day' by the Eternals being a hit. Or 'Jim Dandy Got Married' by LaVerne Baker.

Comment

Working...
              X