Jethro Tull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jethro Tull

I've never heard anything by this lot, except 'Living In The Past', which I have to admit is pretty good.

But I'm kind of turned off them because (a) I don't really like folk music in general, and (b) the beardy singer in his spandex tights standing on one leg while playing the flute looks like a total fool, and that's rarely a good sign.

Should I investigate them nonetheless?

Jethro Tull

Listen to Stand Up. It's excellent.

Sample: We Used To Know

(It's not Folk, that's for sure)

Comment

Jethro Tull

Yeah. They were pretty interesting early on, but success in the US meant they had to configure their act to large arenas, which meant dressing up as rabbits and stuff.

Comment

Jethro Tull

Investigate away. Their early albums are very good.

First one I heard was Thick as a Brick and just the fold out newspaper/album cover was fascinating. Saw them a couple of times live and they put on a good show. On US radio, you'd think they'd only released Aqualung.

Comment

Jethro Tull

Aqualung is a great album.

Comment

Jethro Tull

Sitting on a park bench
            Eyeing little girls with bad intent

Comment

Jethro Tull

Folk music?

Comment

Jethro Tull

Well, they've got strong folk elements in their sound, haven't they? Or am I mixing them up with someone else?

I remember them beating Metallica to a Grammy award for "hard rock" about 20 years ago, to universal hilarity.

Comment

Jethro Tull

erwin wrote:
                  Sample: We Used To Know

(It's not Folk, that's for sure)
                  Blimey. The Eagles were really big fans of that song, weren't they?

I've got an odd soft spot for Tull, which I can't quite explain. I like nothing else in that whole musical constellation, really, and I find your man annoying as well, but there's a tunefulness to them or something.

Comment

Jethro Tull

Dave Pegg of Fairport Convention played bass for them for a while, so they have some sort of connection to the folk world.

That is possibly the only piece of information I know about Jethro Tull.

Comment

Jethro Tull

And Maartin Allcock of Fairport did, too. But then Fairport's Ric Sanders used to be a member of Soft Machine...

I'm coming at this from the folk direction, admittedly, but to me folk music stops a long way before you arrive at Jethro Tull, even at their most olde-worlde.

Comment

Jethro Tull

"'Aqualung ' is a great album." Word.

I like them.

Comment

Jethro Tull

I sort of lost track of them after Aqualang or so, but yeah, the early stuff is great. Tull are far from what you'd call folk but a fair few of their gigs in the early days were at folk and blues clubs. They didn't quite fit the folk, blues or rock parameters of the day, so it wasn't till they played a wonderful set at the National Jazz and Blues festival at Kempton Park in '68 that they really took off.

Comment

Working...
                          X