The Epitome Of '80s Cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 1988 when I was 15 I saw this video for the first time and thought it was the coolest thing that I’d ever seen. The band warming up the stage for BB, his arrival backstage in the Merc, his seemingly effortless arrival on stage in the open fronted elevator, and then the high energy performance over the next four minutes. It was the first time that I saw performers using headphone style microphones too, as well as being the first RnB influenced song that I really liked during those years when it was mostly indie music that grabbed my attention.

So after the song came up on shuffle yesterday I decided to have a look at the video on YouTube to see whether it was as good as I remembered. And it was.

OK, so everything about the video screams OTT late ‘80s - the big hair, the keytars, the choreography and so on. But somehow it still works for me, mainly I think because of the relentless energy of all involved in the performance. And the fact that he takes a lesser used English word - ‘prerogative’ - and makes it an intrical part of the song. Hell, it’s even survived Britney Spears’ ill-advised 2004 cover version.

The song’s Wiki article is worth a quick read as it talks about the style of the song being ‘New Jack Swing.’

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Prerogative

I never really liked anything else that he did, and of course his career went off the rails later after his well publicised drink and drugs problems and turbulent relationship with Whitney. I suppose he lived his life in harmony with the song’s lyrics.

I was thinking too about the social context of the song in the US during the fag end of the Reagan years. Was RnB still largely restricted to a predominantly black audience at this time? It's hard to spot any white faces in the video. What’s also interesting is the brashness of BB’s singing, namely that ‘I earn my own money and I’m going to spend it how I damn well like so stuff you.’ Can’t imagine that went down too well in Middle America.

Any thoughts?

I don't imagine "I can do what I want cause I've got money" would sound too out of sorts with Reagan era America really. Good tune though. I also liked Nice N Smooth's Hip Hop Junkies.

Comment

If that video's making you feel suggestible, by the way, don't panic - let a YouTube commentard put your mind at rest:

there's nothin gay about nice n smooth

look at how many hoes are always in their videos...

Comment

historyman wrote:
        I was thinking too about the social context of the song in the US during the fag end of the Reagan years. Was RnB still largely restricted to a predominantly black audience at this time?
        No. Bobby Brown (& New Edition, Bel Biv Devoe, etc...) was massive across the board. Late 80s RnB killed the charts in the US. This is all post-Thriller, which set the way for huge crossover acts.

Granted, RnB was made "safer" too, New Kids on the Block and the like, but that Bobby Brown album was bought by just about everybody.

Comment

I loved, absolutely loved, Bobby Brown when I was a kid. And like Matej said, he was massively popular.

Comment

I love Two Can Play That Game.

Comment

I spent most of the 80s trying to avoid music like this. American soul died somewhere in the mid-70s.

Comment

This came out when I was in high school in Northern California, and it was very popular. This song was played at my prom, if hazy memory serves. I wasn't a huge fan of New Jack Swing (it sounded too plastic and over-produced compared to the sixties soul I loved), but I much preferred it to the hair metal, Phil Collins, and David Lee Roth songs that you were as likely to hear on MTV or mainstream radio at the time.

Comment

Also, I would say that in terms of black music being threatening to white America, Bobby Brown and the other New Jack Swingers were more likely to be considered the safe alternative to contemporaries like Ice T and N.W.A., who really did scare the shit out of a lot of white people back then.

(My friends and I preferred them to Bobby Brown et al. for that very reason, of course.)

[Edit: And the funny thing about that is that Brown is now drug-addled and scary, while Ice T acts on TV shows and Ice Cube makes children's movies. I certainly would not have predicted those outcomes back then.]

Comment

Being a kid in different country at the time I can't really judge, but I'd also be surprised if Bobby Brown - formerly of 1983's answer to the Jackson Five, New Edition - was a threatening figure to white America. I mean, if Patrick Bateman's a reliable guide, Whitney Houston was as much an inspiration to yuppies as Phil Collins, for example - they weren't actual Nazis or anythng.

Candy Girl is a tune, isn't it.

Comment

While there has always been a place for self-aggrandising cockiness in pop, I think Michael Jackson and Prince's domination of the '80s was a particular influence on something like My Prerogative. For both, a surfeit of both genius and peculiarity meant that pretty much all of their material was essentially about themselves and their performance, even where the subject matter was ostensibly something else. In Prince's case, once he'd boiled this down to a bald statement - My Name Is Prince - he struggled to find anything else to say afterwards.

In seeking the point where what was known as soul began to change into what became known as R'n'B, one might look at the contrast between Alexander O'Neal's first two albums. The standout track on his eponymous debut was the yearning ballad If You Were Here Tonight. When he returned with Hearsay, the album was largely the creation of Jam and Lewis, the leading edge producers of the day, and O'Neal had taken on the persona of a hectoring bully, Criticise and Fake being two of the least romantic records ever put out by someone claiming the status of a loveman.

Comment

Renart wrote:

Also, I would say that in terms of black music being threatening to white America, Bobby Brown and the other New Jack Swingers were more likely to be considered the safe alternative to contemporaries like Ice T and N.W.A., who really did scare the shit out of a lot of white people back then.

(My friends and I preferred them to Bobby Brown et al. for that very reason, of course.)
                        Ha yes, a quick NWA refresher course on YouTube makes that clear.

Comment

The FBI even sent a letter to N.W.A.'s record company complaining about "Fuck tha Police." Straight Outta Compton really was incendiary when it came out.

Comment

NWA day.

Comment

Renart wrote:
                              The FBI even sent a letter to N.W.A.'s record company complaining about "Fuck tha Police." Straight Outta Compton really was incendiary when it came out.
                              I liked this line from the album's Wiki page:

"The album's most controversial track, "Fuck tha Police", was partly responsible for the fame of N.W.A as the "World's Most Dangerous Group", and it did not appear on the censored version of the album."

FFS, if you're into NWA you're not really going to be bothered with a censored version of the album, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Outta_Compton

Comment

Working...
                              X