Poly Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poly Gone

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but ..

Poly Styrene, formerly of X-Ray Spex, has died from cancer.

Just a few days ago she was making optimistic posts on Facebook.

Oh cancer, up yours.

Poly Gone

Ah, poo. How old was she?
    And given your handle, was she someone you knew personally?

Comment

Poly Gone

She was 53 or 54, apparently she had taken a turn for the worst so the optimism was misplaced, but you do hear of people rallying and getting a spurt of energy before they cop it.

I didn't know her personally, have connections but only met her once, and that fleeting. Saw her play a few times back in the day and more recently - after playing an XRay Spex gig at the Roundhouse, we went on to a smaller club where she sang a bit with her daughter's band.

She was a true original and I'll write some nice things about her when it's sunk in a bit.

Comment

Poly Gone

Very sad. I loved Germ Free Adolescents in my early teens - I see she's only just released a new solo album.

She was 54.

Comment

Poly Gone

Oh no.

Comment

Poly Gone

Terrible shame, 54 is no age.

No fan of X-ray Spex but, funnily enough, was listening to her new album last week that sounded really good

Comment

Poly Gone

This sucks. TV on the Radio's bassist died of Lung Cancer the other week as well - he was one of the rescuers on 9/11 and died aged 34 (I think, from memory).

Comment

Poly Gone

MsD wrote:

Poly Styrene, formerly of X-Ray Spex, has died from cancer.

Just a few days ago she was making optimistic posts on Facebook.
                I heard that too, and so it's come as even more of a shock.

Sad news indeed.

Comment

Poly Gone

The world shines a little less brightly today. RIP.

Comment

Poly Gone

Just found a thread on TP where I chose the opening lines to Oh Bondage as the most important in the punk canon, after Anarchy in the UK's .... and I stand by that assessment.

Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard, but I think ... OH BONDAGE, UP YOURS!! 1234!

It was a roar of pure energy and defiance that led into a dizzying, dazzlingly exuberant pop song.

Poly was so important in expressing and maintaining that strand of punk: the liberating, defiant, bold, joyful, mischievous side of anarchy, as opposed to the destructive, puritanical, aggressive and/or nihilistic tendency that seemed to get the upper hand in 1978/79, as punks adopted a uniform of black clothes and big boots, worthy class war lyrics, that had a few of us wondering, er, hang on, when did I join the army, exactly?

Early punk was full of mischief and colour; yes, anger is an energy, as Lydon put it, but it doesn't have to be so negative and fucking miserable. The girls, the gay boys, the dayglo colours, the fun, have largely been written out of punk history by po-faced Clash fans who saw it as a male bonding exercise above all. In many ways, she represented the yin to the yang; there were others on that side (like the mischievous force of nature that was Ari Up), but X Ray Spex were the prime exponents of dayglo punk.

Although upbeat, they were never shallow or trite; Poly was sharply critical of social mores, hypocrisy and what came to be known as "consumer culture". Her lyrics, in such songs as Identity, Germ Free Adolescents were perceptive as they come, but she always observed with humour, compassion, great warmth and a cracking TUNE.

Another sad loss, but another memory to cherish and be proud of.

Much love Poly x

MsD

Comment

Poly Gone

I love that, MsD, and would echo absolutely all of it.

Comment

Poly Gone

Spot on, MsD.

Comment

Poly Gone

In a sad case of synchronicity, when Ari Up passed away, I got the The Slits and X-Ray Spex mixed-up, particulary "Oh Bondage, Up Yours!"
                          A sad time lately for punk rock.

Comment

Working...
                          X