Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

In one of the more surprising news stories of the day, the prettier half of the Ubik vs. The World collective has decided their small but perfectly formed vinyl collection no longer rocks their world. Sad though this is, it also appears a largely popular decision coming, as it does, on the back of a million years of no longer owning a device that can actually play the fucking things.

So, in amongst saying au revoir to Adam and the Ants, bye-bye to the Boo Radleys and oh, I can't believe I bought that to Oasis, I'm wondering whether anyone here has divested themselves in a similar way.

I'm also wondering about the best way to do it. Do we contact the local Sothebys to parcel it off in bundles to their select list of intercontinental clients or do we lump it all on eBay and watch chancers and neer-do-wells cherry pick the best items without ever having to listen to the My Life Storys of the collection.

Some of it, Slowdive step forward, seems quite valuable. Some of it not so much. It appears Menswear are even less popular now than they were in 1994.

Are tears at the airport to be expected? Any regrets? Hints, tips and experiences welcome.

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Give the real shit to the local charity shops (if they still take vinyl), where it can take pride of place next to the numerous copies of No Parlez.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Oh George... 'No Parlez' had 3 magnificent singles... unfortunately, it had Paul Young singing.

My 'my bad' is 'Author, Author' by the Scars. After much onlind searching to find this fucking thing, there was one song on there, which I would wish to hear again, and then I actually listened to it, and realised, shit, its not what I remembered.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

AND, it cost me £15.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Ah, Jesus Jones... they were only the band Pop Will Eat Itself could have been. Our five-a-side team at college were called Real Real Real (geddit?!).

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

There is a lively market for Ant/Ants vinyl, but only singles or rareties (imports) get worthwhile prices. Search "Adam Ants vinyl" on ebay to see what I mean.
            Also discography here

http://www.adam-ant.net/info.html

Generally, it may be worth keeping and framing some album covers.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

I still have Doubt on the CD changer in my car. I'm surprised it was ever recorded on vinyl in the first place, I recall it was around that time (1991?) that HMV and Virgin took vinyl off the shelves.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Bands like Jesus Jones did decent business on vinyl well into the 90s.

In fact it was 1993 before the first number one wasn't available on 7" (can anyone guess?)

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Doop?

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Cotton Eyed Joe?

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Anyway I'm still building my vinyl collection - got a 12" of KLFs Justified and Ancient for $2 from a record shop called Rebel Rebel in New York. It's probably worth a bit more than that.

I was such a fucking hipster that day anyway - wandering around the West Village, SLR camera round my neck, clutching rare vinyl and wearing my Jarvis Cocker-style glasses.

All that was missing was a custom-sprayed fixed gear bicycle, cut-off trousers, sandals and a t-shirt with a picture of something from the 70s on it.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince - Boom! Shake The Room!?

I'm still searching for a turntable - as well as a set of speakers, CD player and maybe a power amp as well - on ebay before dipping my toe back in to the murky waters of vinyl. I almost won a bunch of Aurex (Toshiba's largely forgotten mid-to-hi-end brand from the 80's) separates this afternoon but got outbid in the last 10 seconds by some sod.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Gerontophile wrote:
                          My 'my bad' is 'Author, Author' by the Scars. After much onlind searching to find this fucking thing, there was one song on there, which I would wish to hear again, and then I actually listened to it, and realised, shit, its not what I remembered.
                          It's a brilliant album - I've never been so happy to see something finally released on cd. I think it's very close to being the best Scottish album ever.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

George wrote:
                            Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince - Boom! Shake The Room!?
                            ...is the correct answer.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

To more than just that question, too.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

I'm open to offers for my 12" Dylans EPs. Or my Ned's Atomic Dustbin compilation.

Comment

Anyone for Jesus Jones?

Okay, as far as the latter's concerned ... I'll Bite.

Comment

Working...
                                  X