One thing leads to another.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw someone mention the Fixx t'other day, hence the thread title.

Ever gotten into one thing, coz of another?

In the life aquatic, there's a scene where 'gut feeling' by Devo is playing, I'd never heard of the awesomeness that is Devo prior to that.

Example two, I'd never heard of Morris Day and the time before watching Jay and silent Bob strike back, and even though I didn't dig on the film too much, 'jungle love' is brillo, OH WEE OH WEE OH!

The best example I can offer is the grand theft auto series of games, on the playstation 2/Xbox onward.

The music used on there is so diverse it has led me to appreciate genres I had no concept of prior to discovering them on GTA, genres like dub reggae, funk, rare groove, r and b, soul, latino, classical, old rock, new rock, old skool hip-hop, 80's stuff, which leads me back to the fixx, I really would have never heard of them in a million. Or Wang chung, isn't dance hall days a fun little song?
    Erm yeah, basically a lot of music that woulda passed me by was plucked from obscurity thanks to some indirect influences.

The researchers deserve knighthoods or summat.

So yeah, circle of life, one good thing influencing another, any examples?

Oh, I love Morris Day's in Purple Rain. He certainly is a more compelling actor than the little guy on the big bike. "The Bird" ("this song is not for everybody, only the sexy people") is fantastic.

The GTA soundtracks are great. Great song elections, and, of course, fantastic ads.

Likewise, Tarantino's soundtracks are commendable. Perhaps they are not quite as much of a treasure trove of the obscure as many people think (at least not obscure to fans of '70s soul), but you have to applaud a man who introduces a large audience to acts like The Glass House. And the use of The Statler Brothers on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack did turn me on to their stuff, even if "Flowers On The Wall" is not at all representative of their music.

I'd say that if one follows the music blogs, one will have very many examples of one thing leading to another.

Comment

tactictoe wrote:
      genres like ... latino
      That's not a genre!

Sorry. But media players auto-classifying hard salsa, cumbia, Bolivian folk and tango alike as 'latin' in the 'Genre' field is my absolute pet hate about the digitised music era.

Comment

I'd never paid any attention to TV On The Radio until I saw the obit about their bassist the other day. They looked, in the photo, kind of like a black Phish, so I thought I'd give them a listen. I've been listening to their Dear Science album this weekend, and it's all kinds of good.

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
          tactictoe wrote:
          genres like ... latino
          That's not a genre!

Sorry. But media players auto-classifying hard salsa, cumbia, Bolivian folk and tango alike as 'latin' in the 'Genre' field is my absolute pet hate about the digitised music era.
          Ahem, latin jazz, salsa, that sorta fing...The two tracks by Mongo Santamaria on GTA: Vice City, (Mama Papa Tu and Picao Y Tostao) I would love to know who sings the main vocal part, man's got soul by the bowlful.

Comment

Circa 1986, I had a girlfriend who was a Madonna fan, so I took an interest in a moment of "togetherness".
            Then, while reading MM, I came across "Into The Groovey", and the rest is indie/alternative history..........

Comment

I remember my first encounter with GTA years ago round a friend's house and being really impressed that you could just cruise around listening to Beny Moré et al. Nothing else in the game impressed me though but then I'm just not into computer games that much.

Comment

Working...
              X