Is this the end of the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.rocksins.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Sonisphere-2011-Poster-Again-318x400.jpg

Got to be the heaviest line-up of any gig ever?

An event so heavy that the Knebworth estate will just sink down below the ground. Leaving behind a stadium sized crater where the only recognisable remains are hair, studs and Lars Ulrich's platinum tooth.

The rest of the UK will tilt over due to subsidence and sink beneath the atlantic leaving only Blackpool Tower as a memorial to a once proud nation.

Somewhere in-a-land-down-under the 4 bands will climb out of their Marshall lined metal molten chamber, dust themselves off and flatten Ayers Rock with a joint fretfiddle so loud that the North Koreans think that artillery is being used on them from across the border.

wow!

That band at the very bottom of (main bit of) the poster. Why aren't they higher up?

Comment

Motorhead?

On the same day as the Big 4?
      Are you insane?

Comment

Quite.

And Weezer? Really? The Weezer?

[to evilC]

Comment

bovril wrote:
          Motorhead?

On the same day as the Big 4?
          Are you insane?
          No, that bill is for a three day event. (Oh hang on, seeing that you were replying to evilc so maybe you know that and he doesn't).

I might go for the Big 4 day just in case it never happens again in the UK.

The rest of the bill is pretty ropey and, having suffered Sonisphere before, I must warn you it makes Donington look like Glyndebourne.

Comment

That's some lineup. Like the Real Madrid of live events or something. Perhaps the marketing department should consider branded neck braces. All that's missing is QOTSA instead of Weezer.

Comment

This festival is in Indio this weekend, at where Coachella is held.. Scott Ian of Anthrax is not a fan of that festival:

This is taking place on the site of Coachella. Have you ever been to that festival?

I've never been, and I would never ever go. This is our own show. We just happened to be playing the same field that hosts that Silver Lake festival in the desert.

You have a problem with Coachella?

I'm just not a big fan of the too-cool-for-school indie world. Metal bands have never been invited or been able to be part of the cool kids, and I like it that way. I don't want to have anything to do with you, I don't like your music, I don't like your scene, I don't like your ironic mustaches, and I don't like your stupid hats. So go have your Coachella and take your drugs and see a bunch of shitty bands. Good for you.

Comment

The mentor band Diamond Head still gigging. Did not know that.

Weezer above Motorhead -- friggin' shameful. I can see that in the US, but In the UK?

Comment

They're not necessarily appearing above them, my guess from their billing is that they are both playing the same slots on the bill on different days. If I can be arsed to turn the laptop on this weekend I'll check.

Diamond Head is a reformation I'd guess because I hadn't heard anything about them in years before they appeared on that ad.

Comment

I saw Diamond Head a couple of years ago. A quick check on Wikipedia suggests they've been actively gigging for the most part of this century, albeit not with the classic line-up.

Comment

a week ago, at the excellent roadburn festival, i saw pentagram, a band who first played together fourty years ago. admirable perseverance from these dudes:

i'm not sure how much credence to give the story going around that they withdrew from the previous year's festival on account of bobby (the singer) forgetting to bring his teeth.

Comment

Tee hee!

So, in Big Four terms, who is who? Is Slayer Arsenal, for example?

Comment

Metallica - Man U
                          Slayer - Liverpool
                          Anthrax - Chelsea
                          Megadeth - Arsenal

Comment

guns n' roses - real madrid
                            megadeth - everton
                            mastodon - manchester city
                            black sabbath - leeds
                            pantera - newcastle united
                            iron maiden - iron maiden
                            mayhem - stoke city

ugh, i'm not sure where i'm going with this

Comment

There's an element of Man City about Motorhead nowadays. Either that or Villa

Comment

i'm going to peg nottingham forest as motorhead - still doing alright, still fondly loved, but living in the shadow of a remarkable, and unrepeated high water mark..

bolton wanderers are hawkwind.

Comment

Working...
                                X