Music in cars again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music in cars again.

There was a thread a while back about music you heard blasting out of other people's cars. Mrs. House Cat and I were driving back from KC when we got stuck in another traffic jam. The car next to us was blasting out Gregory Abbott's 'Shake You Down' which happens to be a really good record. We sang along to it and it has been in my head for the last two days.

Music in cars again.

23 times out of 24 (approximately) it's utter crap, at least that's the case in N. America.

Comment

Music in cars again.

Oh, Shake You Down is a great sing-along number, especially if you have enough humility to do the "well, well" bit as nasally as the good Dr Abbott. And you really need to humble yourself to sing the "eenie-meenie-mino-mo" line. The reward for that is reaching the sotto voce "shake-n-ah-shake-n-ah-shake you down" bit.

Comment

Music in cars again.

Eerily accurate. Were you in the car behind G-Man?

You're right Linus but that makes it all the more pleasant when you hear something good.

Comment

Music in cars again.

Is this the one that goes "you on my mind, girl I wanna shake you down. I got all the loving that you will need"? (or, "I will give you all the loving you need"... probable (sic))

If so, top tune. If not, dunno. What was the question?

Last music I heard from a car was 'Las Ketchup', so I have no sphere of reference.

Comment

Music in cars again.

That's the one. The whole album was pretty good. "I Got The Feelin' (It's Over)" is very good, and the utter joyousness in "You Are My Angel" compensates for what is a rather formulaic number.

Comment

Music in cars again.

I love driving past people who are belting out a tune at the top of their voice.
              Y'know, the ones that are REALLY going for it, but have the windows up so you can't actually hear what it is that they're singing.

Just one of those lil' magic moments of life.

Comment

Music in cars again.

Indeed. It's brilliant part of life in the rear view mirror; along with the woman cleaning spinach out of her teeth and the guy inspecting the contents of his nose. I continue to be amazed that, even though the automobile has been commonplace for a hundred years, people still don't comprehend that they're considerably more visible than in their own bathroom.

Comment

Music in cars again.

If you drive America's interstates a lot, as I do, and in particular the urban freeways, you can see some alarming things. People inserting contacts, shaving, brushing their teeth, putting on ties, texting.

I was once following a car that was swerving erratically and I pulled out to pass. I looked over and saw a young boy, about 7 maybe, perched on the "driver's" knee doing the steering. This. not altogether surprisingly, was on I-66 leaving Washington DC. I was also next to a car in a traffic jam where the couple seemed to be having a blazing row. I couldn't hear what they were saying, of course, but the car was actually rocking.

Comment

Music in cars again.

I love driving past people who are belting out a tune at the top of their voice.
                    Y'know, the ones that are REALLY going for it, but have the windows up so you can't actually hear what it is that they're singing.

Just one of those lil' magic moments of life.
                    This is much less magic when re-enacted on the subway in rush hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X